PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Jim Caldwell the worst coach in the league?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Jim Caldweel the worst HC in the NFL?

• Yes

Votes: 52 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan24

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
He pissed away a chance to go 16-0 in 09, the team got beat at home in the first round last year, and this year is a total disaster. I am well aware the team had some clear injuries last year, and no Manning this year. Still though, it should never get this bad. If I didn't hate them so much I would feel sorry for em. But I hate em, so screw the bastards.

Caldwell is nothing more the Polians puppet.

Attachments

• puppet.jpg
    puppet.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 829
A lot of bd head coaches, but he is the worst. Granted it is his first year since Manning has been the head coach since Dungy left.

Yes he is. His team has gone down since he took over as HC. 2009 14-2. 2010 10 -6. 2011 0-7. He'll be gone by next year.

Just lost 62-7 in a prime time game. They are 0-7. They are the only team in the league to be outgained in every game this season. That is more than a QB being hurt. That is big time sucking.

He pissed away a chance to go 16-0 in 09, the team got beat at home in the first round last year, and this year is a total disaster. I am well aware the team had some clear injuries last year, and no Manning this year. Still though, it should never get this bad. If I didn't hate them so much I would feel sorry for em. But I hate em, so screw the bastards.

That botched 16-0 was polian's idea and he was proud of it at the time. just like he's proud of this non-season quest for Luck. as someone posted calwell = polians puppet

Last edited:
That botched 16-0 was polian's idea and he was proud of it at the time. just like he's proud of this non-season quest for Luck. as someone posted calwell = polians puppet

In a radio interview with Sirius Caldwell said it was his call.

Hard to say:

Caldwell
Sparano
Haley
Frazier

...in some sort of order. Spagnuolo could be appearing on this list before long.

Then again, none of them inherited the team that Caldwell did, though most of us suspected the strength of the Colts was a house of cards all along.

Last edited:
In a radio interview with Sirius Caldwell said it was his call.

Well, he said that, but do you believe it? I don't; no way a coach makes that sort of decision with Polian looking over his shoulder.

Again, if I could photoshop I would bandaid the Colts organization with Manning.

We all have certain attitudes re: Manning but say what you might, the Colts were his team, with others tagging along for the ride.

I hope he gets back into the League if for no other reason we don't have to watch the sideshow that is the '11 Colts in primetime again...

Caldwell...he is what his record says he is.

Caldwells a coach. :eek: I thought that guy was there to fashion head sets. He doesn't move he doesn't speak, he doesn't do anything but stand there wearing a set of head phones

You can't pin that on Caldwell; that order came straight from the owner's box.

To me, the perennially unfired Marvin Lewis retired the "Worst coach in the League" trophy some time ago. Tony Sparano is second, IMO. Then, maybe Caldwell, but there a lot of bad HC's out there.

Yeah, probably. He should be fired today after last nights beat down. But who knows, maybe the Colts are throwing in the towel to get Luck so Caldwell is getting a free pass this season.

I don't care what anyone says, the Colts aren't THIS bad without Peyton Manning...something has to be up.

Whichever two teams get the worst records in the league should do a reverse playoff game to see who gets the #1 pick. :p

Yeah, probably. He should be fired today after last nights beat down. But who knows, maybe the Colts are throwing in the towel to get Luck so Caldwell is getting a free pass this season.

I don't care what anyone says, the Colts aren't THIS bad without Peyton Manning...something has to be up.

Whichever two teams get the worst records in the league should do a reverse playoff game to see who gets the #1 pick. :p

The Colts are this bad without Peyton Manning. They were never more than a .500 team without him even in their prime. He got more out of a couple of studs and a boatload of marginal talent. And Polian has let them down over the last 3-4 years. Really lost his drafting fastball, let some decent/marginal players walk over $$ while signing a handful of studs (and even a few marginal or aging personal favorites) to silly deals that forced him to part with them them when their performance waned. He didn't want to have to re-sign Addai, or draft another LT, but his high draft busts dictated he had to. Total aversion to outside FA except for kickers. Everyone else has to learn to do it his way, doesn't have a coaching staff that can teach an old dog new tricks or coach situations. Alienated his core coaching braintrust (Moore and Mudd) and watched Dungy head for the hills after two more one and done seasons when he saw the writing on the wall. Had no plan to replace them beyond next man up... And none of the understudies has any cache or apparently coaching competence...

The personnel stuff is all on Polian (players and staff). He's the President and CEO and wielded so much influence within the league and within the Irsay empire he even got to gift his worn out GM hat to his son...

Caldwell is just a fallguy for a franchise that hitched it's wagon to a #1 draft pick back in '98 and intended to ride it into the sunset. Only an eclipse (maybe even nuclear winter) occurred during the lockout and the wagon is broken...possibly beyond repair. I think there was alway a broad plan B for when Manning finally retired, and it involved Polian retiring as well and potentially a whole new staff and system and scheme in Indy for whichever sucker landed the distinction of following and coaching a GOAT. Plan just wasn't ready to be implemented until 2015-16... Now it either has to be implemented incrementally starting in 2012 (if Manning can return for a couple of more seasons) or on the fly.

The plan B here has always been different. It was to build something that endured rather than something fleeting to be remembered fondly. The plan here (adapted once Brady surfaced) was to build a good team around a great QB so at best you could consistently compete for championships in the here and now and still remain competive with just a good (preferably developmental) QB for the forseeable future. That's the long term value model vs. the limited window model.

Forgive the baseball analogy, but BB would rather know he can single and double you to death indefinitely than swing for the fences every at bat. Because he knows all to well every swing doesn't knock one out of the park and the cap limits the number of HR sluggers you can field while still fielding a team that can absent them drive in enough runs and make just enough plays on defense to still be competitive.

The 2011 Colts are essentially a one man offense and a one or two man defense. Lose either of Mathis (used to be Harrison) or Freeney and they can't compete at the next level. If the loss is Manning they can't compete period. Part of that is lack of talent on the roster and part of that is lack of talent development behind him (and them on defense) due to inferior coaching. It's standard operating procedure for teams to invoke the next man up mantra, but the words ring hollow when that guy's a draft bust or cap driven jag and your staff lacks the capacity to coach less talented players or underperformers up... Dungy wasn't a great HC, but he, Moore and Mudd were great teachers of their particular schemes. Their replacements (except for Manning who essentially took over as OC) aren't.

i said no because he has never really been the HC bill polian runs the colts and Manning runs the players on the field, Caldwell's job is to stay out of Manning and polian way and take all the blame for the looses and none of the glory for the wins

No,The worst coach in the NFL is Frazier

The decision to sign McNabb and then bench him shows signs of failure to run the team and make decisions that were plain dumb.

Anytime I see a team with a backup QB like McNabb making this type of money and losing nearly every game just shows what a horrid job the HC,F.O. and owner are doing.

I think we're overreacting after last night's debacle and the Houston game. In the other games the Colts HAVE fought hard and with a half decent QB they could have won a few of those. It's not Caldwell's fault that Indy organization completely neglected the backup QB position all these years. I'm not saying he's a great coach, or even a good one, but I could see many coaches being in a similar situation with this team right now.

No,The worst coach in the NFL is Frazier

The decision to sign McNabb and then bench him shows signs of failure to run the team and make decisions that were plain dumb.

Anytime I see a team with a backup QB like McNabb making this type of money and losing nearly every game just shows what a horrid job the HC,F.O. and owner are doing.

Ahreed. Hue Jackson's Palmer debacle makes him a 2nd tier candidate.
The NFL has several really poor coaches and GMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes