PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it wrong that SF pain makes me smile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is it wrong that SF more pain makes me smile?

Doesnt matter where the pick ends up really...

Pats won't use it. They'll trade down.

So the Pats will lose the 31st pick and still end up with 2 picks in the 1st round? Goodell must be fuming in his office.

This saga gets more hilarious every week.

Does any one know the trade value of the #4 or #5 overall pick?

Then it will still matter. A team will be more tempted to give up more for the very first pick in the draft, rather then for one closer to the middle. Granted, it doesn't look like SF will win many more games to get it there, but oh well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3121191

Both Smith and Dilfer are brutal but they may not win another game with Dilfer running the offense. He is a statue with a little girl arm.

I once thought that the dictionary should adopt a word called "Dilfer: To take something good and completely screw it up"

But Dilfer has a SB ring and he was the starting QB in that game. I know Baltimore had a great defense that year, but we've all seen a bad QB screw that up. He also went on to be a QB that won something like 15 consecutive games in which he started....not bad for a guy who symbolizes the forementioned meaning. He's not a great QB, but he's a vet, and he might just put together a couple of wins out there in SF.

My bad on the duplicate thread. Tried to delete one but failed.

There was talk recently about a rookie salary cap, with the extra $$ going to vets who have actually earned the cash. I bet that the Players Association would go for it. This would make a top 5 pick much more attractive to the Pats.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3121191

Both Smith and Dilfer are brutal but they may not win another game with Dilfer running the offense. He is a statue with a little girl arm.
No SF has had plenty off success in the past,success we are trying to achieve. When we were wallowing in mediocrity SF was building a dynasty that would be ranked among the best. I have little empathy.

Last edited:

Of course it matters. The higher the pick the more they'll get.

Next lesson : 1+1=2.

With two franchise QBs availble in the draft the Pats can really score on a double trade down. From second to 3-5 for a QB hungry team and from 3-5 to10-15 for Mcfadden, while pickingup picks/players on the trades.:D

I once thought that the dictionary should adopt a word called "Dilfer: To take something good and completely screw it up"

But Dilfer has a SB ring and he was the starting QB in that game. I know Baltimore had a great defense that year, but we've all seen a bad QB screw that up. He also went on to be a QB that won something like 15 consecutive games in which he started....not bad for a guy who symbolizes the forementioned meaning. He's not a great QB, but he's a vet, and he might just put together a couple of wins out there in SF.
That was in 2000, when they won despite him because of a lights out defense. He is 7 years older, slower, weaker.

With two franchise QBs availble in the draft the Pats can really score on a double trade down. From second to 3-5 for a QB hungry team and from 3-5 to10-15 for Mcfadden, while pickingup picks/players on the trades.:D
Not sure how the QB will grade out come draft time but I'm a huge fan of multiple trade downs. 2 to 5, 5 to 12, 12 to 20. Just have to hope the right players are there for teams.

That was in 2000, when they won despite him because of a lights out defense. He is 7 years older, slower, weaker.

Understood.

I'm only saying that he's been down that road before and will know better how to handle it mentally.....But I agree with you.

I don't see the Patriots trading out, especially if they have a top 5 pick in the NFL draft. Why? Two reasons: 1. The trend of teams trading everything but the kitchen sink and then tying boatloads of money into an unproven player seem to be over. The second reason is because it's harder for teams that want to move up to provide equal value for a higher pick they desire. In 2004, word was that the 9ers didn't want the #1 overall pick because nobody warrented a first pick overall. They were on the phones trying to trade that #1 pick but their were no suitors. The 9ers ended up taking Alex Smith. With that said, I see three scenerio's happening:

1. Dallas falls in love with McFadden or someone else and trades their two first round picks, along with an additional pick or player.

2. New England trades down two or three times in the first round alone, gaining a couple second round or third round picks in the process.

3. They keep the pick and take the best available player, I don't care what they need . I know everyone thinks they should take LB but if a DL, OL or even RB grades out better than a LB, don't be suprised if they pass on LB again.

My guess is that the Pats will get stuck with the #2-#4 and won't be able to trade the pick and have to take a chance on highly touted prospect. This year couldn't get any better. A chance to win the superbowl and then pick first in the NFL draft! I'm sure SF will do their part and lose out, so it's up to the Dolphins if they want to keep that top spot.

We have a bunch of emos on this forum...

Can I be happy?

Can be not happy?

Can I laugh?

Can I be worried?

Move on...

Last edited:

While you could be right, no one knows. If the Pats drafts have taught us anything it's that you never know what we'll do.

I don't mind duplicate threads on this subject. It never gets old for me knowing the potential 1-5 pick is in the bag.

I don't think we've been in position to select a glamorous player since Richard Seymour with the 6th pick in 2001. To be honestly put I think we will trade the pick but there is a part of me that is hoping we do select McFadden. I was happy with the Seymour pick, he's been awesome for us,but sometimes I look back at the draft 5. San Diego Chargers (from Atlanta) - LaDainian Tomlinson, RB Texas Christian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes