Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is it turning into a love fest? Did they get the message

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by MosiT, May 6, 2008.

1. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lately it seems that both Obama and Clinton have mellowed in their attacks on one another and appear to be headed in the right direction.

Tonight during Obama's victory speech in North Carolina he said "We can not afford to have John McCain win and be Bush's third term in office (paraphrased) and that is why we will be united in November.

Now lets see what Hillary has to say.

But it['s a sign that they will now turn their attention to John McCain instead of each other.

And believe me, there is a powerful amount of ammunition stored up to throw at Mister Senile flip flop.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I do want us out of Iraq and, in fact, the entire middle east. Other than that, though, I don't think there's a single thing I agree with Obama on.
  3. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, to tell the truth, it's hard to say that at this point as he really has not said much in detail.

But in either case don't fall for the old republican line that all Democrats will increase your taxes. That's all they harp on over and over ant it is not entirely accurate.

But seeing as the masses respond to words like that, they use it over and over.

But now I believe, seeing as how the current Republican administration has destroyed our economy and put our nation in very dire straits, so bad that if a country like China decides to call in all the markers they hold on us, we all had better learn how to speak chinese pretty fast.

Of course the positive side of that if the Chinese did own us then all those things that are in our stores that say "made in China" would probably all begin to say "Made in USA" again only the Chinese would be raking in the profits.

Kind of ironic isn't it?

The past seven years will go down as the worst period in our history overall as a nation.
  4. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 13 / -9

My biggest fear with the democrats is my take homw pay.

I know that if a democrat gets to the oval office the 3% tax cut we
    received will expire in 2011.

I also don't like the idea of increasing foreign aid which seems to be
    a top priority of Obama. We give away enough as it is, without passing
    the Global Poverty act which they say will add another 65 billion per
    year to the UN for foreign aid.

I agree Bush is an Idiot, but I also remember Jimmy Carter and the 21%
    interest rates. Bush will be gone in January and I really doubt that we
    will hear from him again in a political way.

Jimmy Carter just won't go away !
    Last edited: May 6, 2008
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

After The Democrat Win:
    Taxes will rise
    We will stay in Iraq
    We will start a new war in Dafur

If anything goes wrong with the Democrat plans they will blame the Hated Bush.

If anything goes wrong in the year 2096 they will blame the Hated Bush.

:bricks:
  6. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

People just dont see beyond that little tax cut that Bush allegedly gave out.

His policies have created an economic disaster and while you may get 3% savings on your federal tax you are paying through the nose for just about everything else that you need just for living and survival.

Everything that this administration has done for the past seven years has taken money out of the pockets of most Americans, save of course for the upper 1%.

Its not just that payroll taxes, it is a combination of everything that determines the way people will live. And for the most part, and of course their are exceptions, the quality of life for most Americans has decreased in the past seven years.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Income taxes would surely go up. The bigger tax concern for me, though, is Capital Gains tax. I'm not rich but I've accumulated a reasonable amount in my mutual funds and a doubling of capital gains tax, which Obama is talking about, would cost me a lot of money depending on the year and how my funds do. I'm trying to save for retirement and I don't want to be giving a good amount of it to the government - what's the point in saving then ?
  8. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No, the tax cut was across the board, and actually right now the top 1% is paying a higher percentage of total taxes than before Bush came into office.

I'd challenge you to find me where exactly this "economic disaster" is, the economy has slowed down, but its not even in recession yet, and can't be until at least after quarter 3 of 2008 (the GDP grew by 0.6% in the 1st quarter of 2008).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/30/business/30econ-web.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Certainly the administration's tax policy had nothing to do with the slowdown we're seeing, though you could blame them for allowing or possibly even encouraging the slimy lending practices that led to the housing bubble and burst.
  9. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah, wasn't that a stumble for Obama in the Pennsylvania debate, that the moderator called him on the fact that raising the capital gains rate to the point he wanted it would almost certainly result in a reduction in revenue collected?
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

It has for me already. Reduced the government's revenues that is. As I don't qualify for a Roth IRA nor the tax deduction of a traditional IRA, there is little benefit to me to put money in an IRA instead of my mutual funds. The only difference is the relatively small amount of dividends and capital gains which are taxable. Up until now I've always just put it in the mutual funds to keep it liquid. Partly due to it's natural growth but in large part due to concerns that the capital gains rate will skyrocket under Obama, I am now putting all my retirement money into an IRA, no money goes into the mutual funds until my IRA is maxed out. And given that the max amount for my wife and I is $10K, that's a large part of what I'll have - I've put nothing in yet as I'm still paying last year's tax bill. Anyway, due to legitimate concerns about Obama's greedy, grubby hands, the $8K from last year is now in an IRA not mutual funds so the government gets no tax revenues until I retire. Nice job, Obama :rolleyes:
  11. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 13 / -9

Obama is sure to let the Bush tax cut expire.

It may only be 3%, but it amounts to about $60 a week which is $240
    a month.

Why would I support anyone that is going to raise my taxes to give it
    away in foreign aid.

We already give 25 billion away each year which is far more than any other
    Country. Obama has said that he plans to increase foreign aid to 50 bllion
    per year by 2012.

I now hear of this Global Poverty act that Obama is trying to get passed.
    It would commit us to an additional 65 billion per year in foreign aid
    through the UN. That would be a total of 90 billion per year we would
    be giving in foreign aid.

I would rather have the $60 a week in my wallet so that I can waist it on
    things like Milk, bread, & my kids 529 fund.

I do not see a problem with keeping foreign aid at the current level.
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  12. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I believe you are very much blinded by the republican fear mongering talking points.

Any revenue for increased foreign aid will not come from taxpayers like you but will come from the upper levels when some of their loopholes are closed. I dont know your income bracket but if you are middle class you will get the benefit of changes in the Bush tax structure that benefits the wealthy and have it relocated towards the middle class and below.

Unless of course you are in one of those upper brackets, then of course you would have reason to complain if the benefits were relocated to the middle class instead of you, right?

You are definitely falling for republican slime and fear tactics.

Why aren't you complaining about the Trillions, not billions, of dollars that Bush will end up throwing away on the Iraq conflict?

And how he has sold out our nations future to the Chinese who can own our country if they so desire to call in their markers.

Even this stimulus package was paid for by borrowing from the Chinese.

But, my guess is that you will vote for the republican candidate anyway, right?
  13. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 13 / -9

To be honest, I don't know what I am going to do.
    I do not like McCain and I don't think Hillary is going to win the democratic
    nomination.

McCain said that he plans on making the Bush tax cuts permanent.
    I like that idea, I just don't like anything else I have heard from
    McCain.

If Hillary is anything like Bill (who cut spending and changed welfare)
    she would get my vote over McCain. I know she would probably also
    raise taxes, but I think she would put the tax money to better use
    than Obama.

Obama seems like a nice guy, but his wife makes me sick.
    She just has that "I hate white people" look about her.
    I would also never vote for someone who defends
    Jeromiah Wright or supports Black Liberation
    Theology.

The idea that Obama plans to increase foreign aid
    by at least doubling it, drives me crazy.
    I then read about his Global Poverty Bill wich would
    make us give the UN 65 billion per year.

At this point, I would vote for anyone who's name is
    not Bush or Obama.

I am not a rich person I support a family of 4 on a salary of $110,000 per
    year. My wife is a stay at home mom, so my salary supports our family.
    We both drive vehicals with 100,000+ miles and we live a simple lifestyle.

I want my salary to go to my family, not overseas
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  14. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I appreciate your candor and you sound like a fair and honest guy, one who really looks at the entire picture.

I am really tired right now and am going to go to bed soon but I will get back tomorrow and respond.

BTW, I also have a problem with Obama's wife but she is not the one running for president. Something about her just bugs me.