PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it true Mangini tried to steal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phokus

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
... assistant coaches from the pats when he got offered the jets gig? I think i read this somewhere on a pats forum. If that's true, i think i'd know why bill would be pissed at him.

... assistant coaches from the pats when he got offered the jets gig? I think i read this somewhere on a pats forum. If that's true, i think i'd know why bill would be pissed at him.

i heard on espn dan patrick show that there were rumors he was trying to hire coaches on the plane from denver after the play off loss

but i think the main reason for the grudge has to be branch thing. Before that when mangini joined the jets BB actually gave quite a +ve statement about mangini

I'd assume he'd try. "Raiding" seems as common in the NFL as it is in business... you bring good people on board, when you can. And I bet anybody being "raided" -- especially a place where people's success is already getting them head coaching jobs -- is going to be annoyed by it.

Haven't seen it sourced, though, and had not heard or read about that... let me know if you turn a source up.

PFnV

I was under the impression that the Mangini was told that the only way the Pats would let him interview prior to the end of the season was if he agreed to NOT raid the Pats coaching staff.

I think it has more to do with the Branch negotiations and the Jets disclosing their offer to the Seahawks. I think the Pats had every intention of bringing Branch back after the trade negotiations. They were going to sit on their demand for two 1st rd draft picks. But after the Jets disclosed their offer to the Pats to Branch's agent (something, they were not authorized to do), it forced their hand when Seattle offered up their 1st rd pick.

I heard it was the timing of his recruiting. He was soliciting staff and players about to become free agents like Matt Chatham while still on the Pats staff and before he accepted the Jets job. That is bad business no matter what industry you are in. It violates the NFL tampering rules too with players not yet into free agency. I think the Branch tampering was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I know the media painted Belichick as the bad guy in this, but I can see how he can act like he did. Belichick made Mangini. Not that Mangini isn't a talented coach, but Belichick took Mangini under his wing probablly due to the Welslyan ties. Mangini repaid him by trying to rob him of staff and players while taking a paycheck from him.

No wonder why Mangini was barred from the Pats facilities after he got the offer from the Jets, but hadn't taken it. Crennel wasn't barred and he took a few key staff members (Jeff Davidson most notably) with him. There appears to be no animosity between Belichick and Crennel. So eventhough the press likes to portray this as one sided, there is definitely blame to go to Mangini.

I heard it was the timing of his recruiting. He was soliciting staff and players about to become free agents like Matt Chatham while still on the Pats staff and before he accepted the Jets job. That is bad business no matter what industry you are in. It violates the NFL tampering rules too with players not yet into free agency. I think the Branch tampering was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I know the media painted Belichick as the bad guy in this, but I can see how he can act like he did. Belichick made Mangini. Not that Mangini isn't a talented coach, but Belichick took Mangini under his wing probablly due to the Welslyan ties. Mangini repaid him by trying to rob him of staff and players while taking a paycheck from him.

No wonder why Mangini was barred from the Pats facilities after he got the offer from the Jets, but hadn't taken it. Crennel wasn't barred and he took a few key staff members (Jeff Davidson most notably) with him. There appears to be no animosity between Belichick and Crennel. So eventhough the press likes to portray this as one sided, there is definitely blame to go to Mangini.
I think it was before he was "officially" named.....on the plabe heading back from Denver??? Really very poor move I think we do NOT know the truth in all of this..

I think it has more to do with the Branch negotiations and the Jets disclosing their offer to the Seahawks. I think the Pats had every intention of bringing Branch back after the trade negotiations. They were going to sit on their demand for two 1st rd draft picks. But after the Jets disclosed their offer to the Pats to Branch's agent (something, they were not authorized to do), it forced their hand when Seattle offered up their 1st rd pick.

Actually, I think the Jets helped the Pats get a first rounder by being another team bidding to trade for Branch. The Pats were never going to get two first rounders for Branch.

You are right that the Pats beef with the Jets were that they were negotiating trade compensation with Branch and Chayut and leaking it to the press. The Pats contend that Branch only had the right to seek a contract offer and not negotiate a trade. The Pats felt that the Jets leaking their offer to the press forced the Pats to trade Branch because it ruined their leverage with the player. The Pats went from holding all the card to being in-between a rock and a hard place.

I think it was before he was "officially" named.....on the plabe heading back from Denver??? Really very poor move I think we do NOT know the truth in all of this..

Mangini was offered the job right after we lost, but he took several days to contemplate. We lost to the Broncos on the 14th, Mangini was offered the job on the 15th, and he officially became the HC of the NYJ on the 17th. Mangini may have known the offer was coming before the Broncos game and felt that since the Pats were eliminated from the playoffs, he could start recruiting staff without stabbing Belichick in the back.

Mangini was offered the job right after we lost, but he took several days to contemplate. We lost to the Broncos on the 14th, Mangini was offered the job on the 15th, and he officially became the HC of the NYJ on the 17th. Mangini may have known the offer was coming before the Broncos game and felt that since the Pats were eliminated from the playoffs, he could start recruiting staff without stabbing Belichick in the back.

He was on the Pats payroll then.
I know that others in industry sometimes do the same thing. Does not make it right. There are things far more important than money or success.

I'm willing to take it as gospel that Mangina tried to pilfer the Pats. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. But I'll accept it as truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye