Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is it time to cut and run from Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 11, 2009.

?

Is it time to cut and run from Afghanistan?

1. Yes, we should pull out immediately

41.2%
  2. Yes, but first we should develop a logical exit plan

17.6%
  3. No, we need to stabilize Afghanistan before pulling out

5.9%
  4. No, we need to stay and finish the job

35.3%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Seeing that a lot of conservatives are beginning to join liberals in opposition to the war in Afghanistan, I'm just curious to see where people stand in this issue here.

Your username is included in this poll.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 1 / -9

Yes, the hell with that place let them slaughter each other, get out of Iraq also as fast as possible, put the troops on America's borders and in America's airports, Protect The American People let the Crooked UN take care of the rest of the world.

CLOSE GITMO AND PUT THOSE PEOPLE IN A REAL PRISON
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

As fast as the fukcing planes can get them back here. As amazing and courageous as the American Fighting Man is, the politics, leadership and American public in general has NO STOMACH for war.

Bin Ladin was right, America is too soft to wage a prolonged war against a determined enemy, no matter how courageous our fighting sons and daughters are.

With the current "rules of engagement" for our fighting core set by politicians instead of men who are asked to put there lives on the line, we're just slowly killing of the best and brightest we have.

Get them out now, no sense fighting a war they won't let us win.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

Finish as long as the recommendations of the generals are followed rather than political pandering and using the troops as pawns for political manuevering.

I am bothered that Obama has said that we cannot win in Afghanistan if he believes that he should pull out.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 1 / -9

Our Dirty Leaders Don't Have What It Takes To Win Wars Anymore, GET OUT Before More Soldiers Die, Isn't This Why Most Of America Voted FOR OBAMA To Stop The Wars.

NO MORE WAR
    CLOSE GITMO
    ISN'T THAT WHAT THE DEMOCRATS CONSTANTLY YELLED AT THE HATED BUSH
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +238 / 8 / -26

Get out now, you cannot win this war and are not able to win the hearts and minds of the Afghanistan people.. it is a senseless endeavour...
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I was most concerned about putting a 73 year old guy with multiple issues with skin cancer (whom you know partied up a storm back in the day) between Sara Palin and the keys to the nuclear launch codes, but I was leaning towards Obama before that;)

On a more serious note, Afghanistan was the right thing to do at the beginning of this decade, leaving it better than we found it still is. I'm all for getting 100% of the troops out once a proper government is built and implemented if that's what they want, but not before then. I'm also for subsidizing that government with enough cash to make sure things stay stable and peaceful there for the next 100 years.
  8. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,362 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

We never should have been in there for as long as we have in the first place. There is no stabilizing that region and I don't think that bin Laden is there. Get out and let the Afghani people worry about it. There's a GOOD reason why Afghanistan has never been conquered.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  9. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

We need to stay and finish the job but we also need a change in strategy. I never liked the way we went about fighting the war in Afghanistan to begin with.
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

We're not pulling out, and doing so would be worse for Pakistan, than we'd ever care about it being for Afghanistan. We weakened Mushareff to the point that he was ousted from power, which in turn, destabilized that country pretty quickly. Afghanistan itself is a lesser issue at this point. Sure AQ is in that region, but the greater concern is Pakistan. For all that we disliked about Mushareff, he did keep a tighter grip on that country's stability, army, and nuclear arsenault. Now we're absolutely stuck there for a long, long while, whether we like it or not.