PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it time for the NFL to dump the Rooney rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that there are very few women in the NFL I would rather see this rule changed to apply more directly to women. Women seem to me to be far more discriminated against in the NFL than any other minority.

Given that there are very few women in the NFL I would rather see this rule changed to apply more directly to women. Women seem to me to be far more discriminated against in the NFL than any other minority.

I know you're joking (hopefully) but in case you're not, how many women have played/coached in the NFL?

I know you're joking (hopefully) but in case you're not, how many women have played/coached in the NFL?

Nope. Not joking. Did you just make my point for me? Yes, I think so.

I'm not particularly crazy about this rule either. At the time when it was implemented, I could see the rationale. On the other hand, I don't think it's a fair assessment to compare the % of black coaches in the NFL to the U.S. population, but more equitable to compare it to the number of black players in the league instead.

Even better, compare it to the number of assistant coaches.

Nope. Not joking. Did you just make my point for me? Yes, I think so.

OK, your point is clear...

...as mud.

And that's a compliment, because obviously you're going into Bell Curve territory.

The reason women don't play in the NFL is because they are physically incapable.

So I guess black head coaches are lower as a % because they too are somehow incapable.

That what you're saying?

Last edited:
I think it's easy to miss the subtlety of the Rooney rule -- the fact that it DOESN'T tell you who to hire or set any race-based hiring targets. It's designed to open up an insular culture and give minority candidates opportunities to meet decision makers and be judged on their own merits.

If they're that insular and just interviewing the candidate to go through the required motions what real liklihood is there that they hire him? Those insular people will, by default, NOT judge a minority on their merits.

This is just window dressing, nothing more.

If they're that insular and just interviewing the candidate to go through the required motions what real liklihood is there that they hire him? Those insular people will, by default, NOT judge a minority on their merits.

This is just window dressing, nothing more.

Ask Romeo Crennel about it. He was adamant that going through the "motions" is eventually what enabled him to land a job.

OK, your point is clear...

...as mud.

And that's a compliment, because obviously you're going into Bell Curve territory.

The reason women don't play in the NFL is because they are physically incapable.

The point is there is a myth that you need to actively play something to coach it. How many coaches do you think are actively playing the game in order to hone those play skills? Do you think these aging head coaches are out there taking hits? I'm sure it has been a while since BB was hit. Believe it or not there are women that play football. Perhaps not at the NFL level but many coaches of the NFL never played at the pro level, why is that suddenly a requirement only when a candidate is female?

The fact is, coaching is more of a managerial task than anything else. I think a women would be perfectly capable of making trades with other teams, organizing schedules, tasks, meetings, designing plays, disciplining players, running training sessions, etc.... I just don't see why they are never, ever considered.

So I guess black head coaches are lower as a % because they too are somehow incapable.

That what you're saying?

With regard to this, it simply isn't true. If you read the OP, 25% of head coaches are black against a 12.5% demographic.

Last edited:
I'm glad this thread was started and that there are still some sane people on this forum who realize how ridiculously stupid this rule is. Especially considering how many are surely white-guilt liberals to the core.

As someone else stated, the rule is flat-out racist. Why should a team be told who they have to interview? If they want, they should be able to have an all-white or all-black team if they so desire... I mean who cares? Freedom of choice.

Don't women have the IWFL or whatever it's called? I don't think a woman could control NFL players.

Last edited:

s640x480

Can she rush the passer? She can!?

Sign the beast!

I don't think a woman could control NFL players.

Why not? Can't they fire/suspend someone just as quick as someone male, can't they?

You realize this is exactly what people used to say about women running businesses, right?

Last edited:
The point is there is a myth that you need to actively play something to coach it. How many coaches do you think are actively playing the game in order to hone those play skills? Do you think these aging head coaches are out there taking hits? I'm sure it has been a while since BB was hit. Believe it or not there are women that play football. Perhaps not at the NFL level but many coaches of the NFL never played at the pro level, why is that suddenly a requirement only when a candidate is female?

The fact is, coaching is more of a managerial task than anything else. I think a women would be perfectly capable of making trades with other teams, organizing schedules, tasks, meetings, designing plays, disciplining players, running training sessions, etc.... I just don't see why they are never, ever considered.

With regard to this, it simply isn't true. If you read the OP, 25% of head coaches are black against a 12.5% demographic.

The OP was including head coaches who were fired this year and already hired for next year. So obviously that % is off.

Regardless, you should be looking at a breakdown of assistant coaches, not the general population, and not the players.

A huge chunk of this board played organized football, I did too (high school) but that means squat really because we don't know (it's obvious) a fraction of what these guys do. And they are guys? Why. Because 99.99999999999999% of the people who play football and coach it are men. Sure, there's Goldie Hawn and Sandra Bullock, but the fact is, most of these coaches have at least PLAYED football. Belichick, Caserio, McDaniels, all these guys played football in college. Can you name a head coach that never played football?

I mean who cares? Freedom of choice.

The NFL cares, obviously.

The NFL cares about a lot of things, apparently. They also don't like to see top QBs go down to knee injuries.

In other words, the rule's goal is equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome. And equality of OUTCOME is what affirmative action foes always say they object to; the idea that the more qualified candidate might lose out.

Giving certain coaches the oppurtunity to interview on the basis of their skin color over other coaches is still racist.

The OP was including head coaches who were fired this year and already hired for next year. So obviously that % is off.

Regardless, you should be looking at a breakdown of assistant coaches, not the general population, and not the players.

A huge chunk of this board played organized football, I did too (high school) but that means squat really because we don't know (it's obvious) a fraction of what these guys do. And they are guys? Why. Because 99.99999999999999% of the people who play football and coach it are men. Sure, there's Goldie Hawn and Sandra Bullock, but the fact is, most of these coaches have at least PLAYED football. Belichick, Caserio, McDaniels, all these guys played football in college. Can you name a head coach that never played football?

I am not versed enough on the background of coaches to name them off, but there are women that have played college football. Here's the first one:

Earlham College | News from Public Affairs

The last USA demographics I could find has the Black population
at 12.4 percent

If there were 8 black head coaches in the NFL at the end of the
season, then 25% of the head coaches were black, which is more
than double the 12.4% black population percentage..

As a side note, i think it would be more accurate to compare the % of black coaches to the % of black players. Last time a credible media source sent their intern through rosters to make the tally, the latter was 66% or 65% or something like that. More importantly, we should look at the % of black coordinators/coaches.

To be more direct towards the content of you question, the rule needs to go. If a billionaire is willing to buy a team for several hundred million, he is probably not a racist based on the fact that he is interested in participating/investing in a sport that is 2/3rds black.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back