PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it time for the NFL to dump the Rooney rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who owns an NFL team isn't going to worry about color. If the leading candidate is green they will attempt to hire him. When you own a business worth hundreds of million dollars you can't afford to be racist. This rule is insulting to all black coaches who have paid their dues.

Putting in a rule which demands racist action in order to, theoretically, end or lessen racism in hiring practices, is one of the more idiotic notions this country has ever put forth. The NFL opting to do the same thing is one of the more idiotic notions the league has ever gone with.

I agree with this completely. Even if there are racist billionaire owners (which is possible), they're going to hide their racism when it comes to making personnel decisions. Those guys didn't become billionaires by blatantly showing their racism, and if a black HC is the right candidate for a job, they're going to hire him regardless.

Forcing them to interview someone based on skin color makes it seem like skin color is still an issue in the league. It's not. 40% of the league is white, and that's really only because for some reason, fat white guys make good blockers.

Stupid rule is stupid

Yes, because, as we all know, the best way to deal with a problem that's afflicted our nation for hundreds of years is to pretend like it doesn't exist.

Try not to be too ridiculous. You don't eliminate racism by being racist.

Gosh, I wonder how long it will take before this turns into a political discussion on the merits of affirmative action.

Given that the Rooney rule is a form of affirmative action, it's part of answering the question put forth by the thread's O.P..

My problem with this rule is that if they are going to have such a rule then they need to implement it to cover EVERY race. For example, the Vikings named Leslie Frazier as their head coach, they should've been forced to interview a nonminority for the position.

It's rules like this that allow racism to stay alive. Doing anything based on race (e.g implementing rules or corporate policies) = racism.

The best way to eliminate (which I don't think that it will ever fully be eliminated) racism is to educate our youth about tolerance, diversity, and the most basic lesson of all... no matter what the skin color it is a person's soul that counts. Anyone know what color a person's soul is? Right, we are all colorblind when it comes to one's soul.

Not trying to turn this political just one posters opinion who isn't in to politics.

Last edited:
Teams only pay lip service to it anyways so what does it matter either way?

Given that the Rooney rule is a form of affirmative action, it's part of answering the question put forth by the thread's O.P..

Then it should be in the political forum.

Then it should be in the political forum.

One one hand, I've got no problem with it being moved, because I think it's destined to result in politically related mudslinging. On the other hand, the Rooney rule is clearly football, and applies to the Patriots as well as every other team in the NFL, so it should be in the main forum.

It's one of the more "iffy" calls that the mods will need to make.

Last edited:
One one hand, I've got no problem with it being moved, because I think it's destined to result in politically related mudslinging. On the other hand, the Rooney rule is clearly football, and applies to the Patriots as well as every other team in the NFL, so it should be in the main forum.

It's one of the more "iffy" calls that the mods will need to make.

I don't have any problem with the topic generally. It just seems like one of those threads that will wind up getting acrimonious.

If coaches and management are made up of a majority of former players, shouldn't the demographics of head coaches be more in line with the demographics of the NFL at the time in which they played (say 20-30 years ago), rather than the demographics of today?

I don't have any evidence of this, but I would think that there were less black payers in the league 20-30 years ago, than there are today.

Yes, because, as we all know, the best way to deal with a problem that's afflicted our nation for hundreds of years is to pretend like it doesn't exist.

How, exactly, does being required to interview a minority coach address racism? The teams can simply chose the guy they originally had in mind and say “he was a better fit for our team”, so what does the rule actually do, except give the appearance of actually doing something?

The rule was put in place to encourage the hiring of minority candidates. The net effect is window dressing and the requirements are not onerous. It is a PR measure, and it does its job. The coaches, minority or otherwise, were hired on qualifications, not race, as the only thing that matters to owners is wins and losses. Owners will not put a coach incapable of doing the job in a position of control to placate public concerns over equal opportunity. Ultimately, the business of football drives that decision, not race.

The Dolphins want to hire Harbaugh.....
Do they really need to do a manditory interview of a black coach before they can hire him?

At the end of the 2010 NFL season, there were 8 black head coaches.
Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals (eighth season).
Lovie Smith, Chicago Bears (seventh season).
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers (fourth season).
Mike Singletary, San Francisco 49ers (third season).
Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis Colts (second season).
Raheem Morris, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (second season).
Leslie Frazier, Minnesota Vikings (interim coach).
Eric Studesville, Denver Broncos (interim coach).

The last USA demographics I could find has the Black population
at 12.4 percent

If there were 8 black head coaches in the NFL at the end of the
season, then 25% of the head coaches were black, which is more
than double the 12.4% black population percentage.

If someone is going to spend close to a billion dollars on a football team,
I am sure they are going to hire the best coach they can find.

Are you serious with your numbers?

I mean, you don't see the flaw?

There were only two black head coaches when the rule was implemented. Do you think there's not any racist owners out there? Not sure if it's needed now, but it seemed to have worked over the years. I have no problem making a bigot have to interview a black person. Relatively speaking, it wasn't that long ago when Bo Jackson refused to play for Culverhouse. The NCAA should implement the Rooney Rule. Now, that is a joke.

I think the Rooney rule itself could be considered as racist. How many teams make up their mind on who they will hire, and interview a minority just because.

I'm sure there are alot of minority coaches who know they only reason they are even being glanced at isn't because of their ability as a coach, but because a rule says they have to be talked to. Personally, if i was a minority coach that would probably make me feel worse than if i was ignored completely.

And yet a lot of coaches go through the process because it polishes them up for jobs and makes them better coaches.

I used to apply for jobs at universities where the preliminary interviews were all held at the same conference. I used to deliberately schedule the schools I wasn't enthusiastic about on the first day just because I knew my interviewing skills would improve with every session. It's important.

Putting in a rule which demands racist action in order to, theoretically, end or lessen racism in hiring practices, is one of the more idiotic notions this country has ever put forth. The NFL opting to do the same thing is one of the more idiotic notions the league has ever gone with.

^^^^^^^^^^

A person who doesn't know the meaning of racism.

I don't have any problem with the topic generally. It just seems like one of those threads that will wind up getting acrimonious.

I hear you, and this....

^^^^^^^^^^

A person who doesn't know the meaning of racism.

is precisely the sort of dumbass post that will lead to it.

The rule was put in place to encourage the hiring of minority candidates. The net effect is window dressing and the requirements are not onerous. It is a PR measure, and it does its job. The coaches, minority or otherwise, were hired on qualifications, not race, as the only thing that matters to owners is wins and losses. Owners will not put a coach incapable of doing the job in a position of control to placate public concerns over equal opportunity. Ultimately, the business of football drives that decision, not race.

If that was the case, then why is the rule in place? If a minority coach is the most qualified, he's the most qualified, period. A persons melanin level should never be the determining factor, ever.

I think it's easy to miss the subtlety of the Rooney rule -- the fact that it DOESN'T tell you who to hire or set any race-based hiring targets. It's designed to open up an insular culture and give minority candidates opportunities to meet decision makers and be judged on their own merits.

In other words, the rule's goal is equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome. And equality of OUTCOME is what affirmative action foes always say they object to; the idea that the more qualified candidate might lose out.

That said, it makes sense to make excptions for interim coaches who have already held the job a while.

I'm not particularly crazy about this rule either. At the time when it was implemented, I could see the rationale. On the other hand, I don't think it's a fair assessment to compare the % of black coaches in the NFL to the U.S. population, but more equitable to compare it to the number of black players in the league instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes