PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it possible we see another shocking WR trade by Oct 30th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah,I know.....just shedding some light on a rough and sensitive subject in Pats land

Imagine him on the Lions with Johnson :eek:

Oh yeah, I'm sure there are some teams where he would tear it up.

DET would be nice, but that would mean the "black Wes Welker" (Nate Burleson--as he calls himself) would have to take a seat too :D

Anywhere where there's a speedy deep threat on the outside would likely do.

Oh yeah, I'm sure there are some teams where he would tear it up.

DET would be nice, but that would mean the "black Wes Welker" (Nate Burleson--as he calls himself) would have to take a seat too :D

Anywhere where there's a speedy deep threat on the outside would likely do.

If they had a chance to get Welker,Burleson would be traded instantly :cool:

If they had a chance to get Welker,Burleson would be traded instantly :cool:

Just so you know too FWIW, I wasn't 'laughing' at your thought. I was laughing at the thought of Nate Burleson calling himself the Black Wes Welker.

Either way, yes he'd likely be traded. Unless of course they'd want to have the black and white Wes Welker on their team at the same time.

Yeah,I know.....just shedding some light on a rough and sensitive subject in Pats land

Imagine him on the Lions with Johnson :eek:
The Detroit Lions selected wide receiver Ryan Broyles in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

I think we are all sick of this Welker thing,we all want to turn back the clock and see that 1,500 yard season again return and a full time Wes......

If "we" are all sick of this, why are "we" still starting threads about it?

It was always my understanding that the only prohibition on signing a franchise player to a long term deal after the deadline related to the team who franchised him. I know Florio blathered to the contrary months ago, but he's often wrong. As I read the new CBA it seems to say the same thing. Depends on how you read these things. I'm asking around to see if someone with league sources can confirm or deny this. I can't think of an example, but that would likely be due to the fact that teams seldom trade that player let alone that late because you can't generally get anything that will help you this late and because most teams are at their own internal spending and or cap limits (and they would have to absorb the franchise hit at least momentarily).

The only player I can thing of who was tagged and traded from the Pats is Matt Cassell. We got a top of the round 2nd rounder too so it was quite a high pick for our backup QB. I believe the Chiefs later negotiated a long-term contract with Cassell. I also believe that the receiving team is on the hook for the remainder of the guaranteed money because it goes off the salary cap of the former team. But a salary cap expert could maybe shed more light there.

Honestly you would not get more than a 5th for Welker at this point. Why?

1. Team trading for him has to absorb (7.7 million cap hit, after this Sunday)
2. Team trading for him can not negotiate a new deal for him until March.
3. Team that trades for him can Franchise him next year but at $11.4 million

From Bert Breer:
A trade is possible, but with Hernandez down and an acquiring club unable to sign Welker long-term by rule until after the season, there are complications there, as well

Week 3 predictions: Will Patriots reincorporate Wes Welker? - NFL.com

Last edited:
Honestly you would not get more than a 5th for Welker at this point. Why?

1. Team trading for him has to absorb (7.7 million cap hit, after this Sunday)
2. Team trading for him can not negotiate a new deal for him until March.
3. Team that trades for him can Franchise him next year but at $11.4 million

From Bert Breer:
A trade is possible, but with Hernandez down and an acquiring club unable to sign Welker long-term by rule until after the season, there are complications there, as well

Week 3 predictions: Will Patriots reincorporate Wes Welker? - NFL.com

I personally think a 5th for Welker is a bit of a reach, but I also think that those who feel he is worth a 1st are even crazier.

I would think that anything around a 2nd/3rd rounder would be very fair and appropriate.

Either way, if they were going to do it they likely would have already done it. I don't see why they'd have waited until now, especially when Hernandez is out for at least a good month or so.

I wouldn't be shocked if it happened at all, but I would be shocked now at the timing.

I think we see a lot of targets to Welker this Sunday, with a decent game from #83 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes