PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it my imagination or did #37 play a lot better today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I thought he was much more active and far closer to the ball on multiple occasions today. Is it arguable that Rodney shook some of the rust off or is he still looking like Father Time is on his heels? I'm not just talking about the sack, either. I feel like he was in on a lot of plays, whether he was the tackler or not.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
He is still being held on some huge running plays, with no flags thrown.

Not a knock on him, just the truth.

7 tackles and a sack isn't too bad. Anyone have a sense of Rodney in coverage?

Yeah, I think Rodney played very good today. All over the field, hard hits, leadership and play calling was noticed big time. Saw him call out signals on many occasions and communicate with the guys.

P.S. Did you guys see one of the Dolphins try to cheap shot Rodney when he was on the ground after a gang tackle? I think it might have been one of their O-linemen, but not sure.

Mentally and physically he's progresing and I think he'll be jitting on all cylinders for every play very soon!

He had some beautiful hits!

they played the dolphins and he didn't need to cover witten.

He was a force around the LOS for sure,and Dierdorf and Gumbel pointed out one run by Brown(maybe the 4rth down conversion where Brown made about 15 yds?) where Harrison was clearly being held,no flag...

Rodney's progressively getting closer to Rodney +1 year. It's taken him a bit longer to get into gameshape after his mini-vacation but he's starting to look like himself. Playing the Doofins helps, though ;)

He was GREAT in run support. The way he blows up pulling offensive linemen is a thing to behold.

I worry about him in coverage still, however. We'll see in 2 weeks where he's at...

they played the dolphins and he didn't need to cover witten.

Fair point. That said, one thing I've been wondering since the Dallas game (where Witten got all of THREE catches, by the way) - isn't covering elite TEs what we got Adalius for?

Sanders is a nice steady player but Harrison changes the defense. He roams around and can really help ''in the box" or as a blitzer from the edge.

If he (or any other SS) is forced to cover a top TE 1:1 (Witten, Clark, Gates) he will be exposed. If he is asked to play the deep 1/2 of the field then there shouldn't be an issue.

Sanders is a nice steady player but Harrison changes the defense. He roams around and can really help ''in the box" or as a blitzer from the edge.

If he (or any other SS) is forced to cover a top TE 1:1 (Witten, Clark, Gates) he will be exposed. If he is asked to play the deep 1/2 of the field then there shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I thought they brought him on the blitz more the past two games than in his first game back. He definitely changes the defense, because he's the most dangerous blitz threat we have in the secondary, and people know BB isn't afraid to use him. It adds a huge dimension to the pass rush. I feel he's our best open-field tackler, too.

Fair point. That said, one thing I've been wondering since the Dallas game (where Witten got all of THREE catches, by the way) - isn't covering elite TEs what we got Adalius for?

That was certainly something that was mentioned as something he did well vs. Gates with Baltimore. He did get that scary hit before the Dallas game where it looked like he'd be missing time, so perhaps AD is playing through something and he's not at top speed. He's been pretty quiet. Could also be Bill is not intending to reveal what he could do with AD or the D prior to November 4th. Even Peyton can't study film that doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down