PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it me or is Dillon still not running the ball well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
holyredeemer said:
You hit the nail right on the head. That screen pass was nice. I feel that once the season starts and gets rolling, Dillon will step up the intensity. Its ******* preseason people. He doesnt care about preseason, regardless of Maroney. Once the season starts, their going to take the leash off of his neck and he is going to hammer defenses down.

I disagree. As pissed off as Dillon has tried to act this offseason, I would expect him to try to come out and prove everyone wrong as early as possible. I hope I'm wrong about him but then again if I'm not, we still have Mahoney.

I think you guys are all COMPLETELY MISGUIDED.

Dillon has looked good but the Oline has blocked poorly on his rush attempts.

Born_a_Patriot said:
Is it me or is Dillon still not running the ball well. I cant help but think he might not be a factor. I hope I'm wrong. I like Dillon but could he be more of an liability for the offense this year. At this moment I cant tell if is the plays called or him. It seems like he just cant find an opening.

As far as I could tell, Washington was stacking the line whenever Dillon or LoMo where in the game. I don' believe LoMo had a run over 5 yards and only averaged 3. Does that mean LoMo had lost a step already? Dillion had a great screen pass in which in he showed good burst.

Just appearded that Washington's plan was to key on the run and force the pass. It backfired.

Dillon’s pre season stats for 2004

5 for 23 with a 4.6 ypc (Phila)
11 for 31 with a 2.8 ypc– (Cinci)
13 for 50 with a 3.8 ypc– (Panthers)
Did not play week 4

Total 29 for 104 Yards
For and average of 3.5 for the preseason

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/schedule?year=2004

Pre Season doesnt mean anything. I like Maroney but he didnt have the greatest YPC last game, o crap he sucks........

Washington has an excellent run defense. There were very few holes for the starting RBs to find. As someone mentioned, it wasn't that Dillon was late hitting a hole (like he was last year, holes would close before he'd get to them), it was that there was none to run through. Maroney faced the same problem. On the screen pass Dillon caught, he ran with speed, shiftiness, and power. He's not done yet, and it's only the preseason. The sky isn't falling, guys.

Last edited:
SayHayes said:
Dillon’s pre season stats for 2004

5 for 23 with a 4.6 ypc (Phila)
11 for 31 with a 2.8 ypc– (Cinci)
13 for 50 with a 3.8 ypc– (Panthers)
Did not play week 4

Total 29 for 104 Yards
For and average of 3.5 for the preseason

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/schedule?year=2004

Pre Season doesnt mean anything. I like Maroney but he didnt have the greatest YPC last game, o crap he sucks........

:rocker: Great point. I was looking at Dillon's 2004 pre-season myself. His 3.5 average is only .2 higher than his 3.3 average in this pre-season. Not to mention that he is also two years older so his workload isn't as much as it was in 2004 so less chances for him to break of that long run so far.

TomBradyWoot said:
:rocker: Great point. I was looking at Dillon's 2004 pre-season myself. His 3.5 average is only .2 higher than his 3.3 average in this pre-season. Not to mention that he is also two years older so his workload isn't as much as it was in 2004 so less chances for him to break of that long run so far.

How do you guys find preseason stats ? I want to see Brady's stats from the 2001 preseason. As far as Dillon, I think he will be fine, his average will be somewhere between last years and 2004. Probably aroun 4 yards per carry, certainly good enough. Maroney's preseason ypc was 5.6, I bet it will be around 4.5 for the regular season. All those guys just need to do was be effective, which causes the play action pass to be deadly, like it was in 2004. Maroney adds game breaking ability that the defenses need to respect.

I don't know maybe I'm speaking out of last years frustration. It seemed that as teams realized that Dillon was no threat they just went after Brady.

Last edited:
checkedout said:
He came out after the screen pass because he was poked in the eye. Let's just get a few regular season games done then bring it up again.

After Game 3 Dillon will be up to 144 yards on the season, with an average of 3.2.

Thanks for your opinion, I'm glad you can predict the future!!! How many yards does Tom Brady throw for? Do we win the superbowl? Does Maroney win the ROY? Please keep them coming

SayHayes said:
Thanks for your opinion, I'm glad you can predict the future!!! How many yards does Tom Brady throw for? Do we win the superbowl? Does Maroney win the ROY? Please keep them coming

I usually predict only when I have a feeling about what will happen. Brady's yardage doesn't interest me because more isn't automatically a good sign (cf 2005). I'd say there's about a 50% chance we win the Super Bowl --- with injuries you never know. (30% if usual injuries, 60% if unprecedented health). Maroney will be like 4th in ROY voting.

shakadave said:
After Game 3 Dillon will be up to 144 yards on the season, with an average of 3.2.

read this thread:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=39836
people made preDICKtions that it would be a hard, tough game. I prefer to let them play, hope no injuries occur on either team and hope we play together as a team. Dillon will do his part, if he gets 1 ypc or 10 ypc. He must be accounted for and the opposing team will pay a price trying to bring him down.

Born_a_Patriot said:
I do like Dillon but I think we might be better off with Cobbs instead of him. If I had to chose I keep Cobbs.

You would keep Patrick Cobbs over Corey Dillon? I guess that's why you're watching the games on TV and not making important decisions for a multi-time SB Champion Football team. Those sort of silly moves work in Madden on the Rookie difficulty setting, but in reality that would be a horrible mistake.

primetime said:
Washington has an excellent run defense. There were very few holes for the starting RBs to find. As someone mentioned, it wasn't that Dillon was late hitting a hole (like he was last year, holes would close before he'd get to them), it was that there was none to run through. Maroney faced the same problem. On the screen pass Dillon caught, he ran with speed, shiftiness, and power. He's not done yet, and it's only the preseason. The sky isn't falling, guys.

CAN EVERYONE STOP THIS NONSENSE (cobbs over dillon and yesterday someone saying cobbs over maroney) it is just dumb!!!! Dillon played in 2 (I think) series last game and left right after makeing a nice run after catch. He has looked better this year than at any point last year (as sighted by many people who have actually seen him in person at training camps) and he wont have to cary the load this year with the complement of maroney. He is a bruiser, for people to say that he hasnt been shifty, HE NEVER HAS, that is not his style, sure he will make an occasional person miss, but he is a big bruising back that wears down defenses and that doesnt happen after 5-8 carries in a preseason game.

AMEN I agree 100 %. The whole point is we have a great backfield.

kptmorgan04 said:
CAN EVERYONE STOP THIS NONSENSE (cobbs over dillon and yesterday someone saying cobbs over maroney) it is just dumb!!!! Dillon played in 2 (I think) series last game and left right after makeing a nice run after catch. He has looked better this year than at any point last year (as sighted by many people who have actually seen him in person at training camps) and he wont have to cary the load this year with the complement of maroney. He is a bruiser, for people to say that he hasnt been shifty, HE NEVER HAS, that is not his style, sure he will make an occasional person miss, but he is a big bruising back that wears down defenses and that doesnt happen after 5-8 carries in a preseason game.

100% correctamundo...........We have seen about 8 practices and all pre-season games this summer. Corey has looked awesome in every single practice and game. He is as fast, shifty, powerful and happy as I have ever seen. He has been teaching and joking with Maroney quite a bit. We have seen him joking with and listening to Ivan Fears a lot. He has enjoyed back and forth banter with BB, TB and RH to name a few.
Corey Dillon hsa been a model #1 running back so far this pre-season. I look forward to seeing our three talented running backs vault the NE runnning game into a thing of beauty this year. When opposing defenses are forced to bring extras up into the box - we will have them right where we want them as they play into TB's strength.

May Dillon, Maroney and Faulk stay healthy - please - as that is the only thing that can stop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back