PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it me or is Dillon still not running the ball well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born_a_Patriot

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is it me or is Dillon still not running the ball well. I cant help but think he might not be a factor. I hope I'm wrong. I like Dillon but could he be more of an liability for the offense this year. At this moment I cant tell if is the plays called or him. It seems like he just cant find an opening.

It's not just you, but you're still going to get killed for saying it. I'll stand idly by and watch. :rocker:

Lets remember this is PS he will be ok when the season begins. Remember when he is in the back field they usallly stack the box with 8-9 men just to stop him. Which opens up the passing game.

Last edited:
Born_a_Patriot said:
Is it me or is Dillon still not running the ball well. I cant help but think he might not be a factor. I hope I'm wrong. I like Dillon but could he be more of an liability for the offense this year. At this moment I cant tell if is the plays called or him. It seems like he just cant find an opening.

Dillon looks like he did early last year, which is not a compliment. Unfortunately, it appears as if the strong game against Atlanta had as much to do with their poor tackling than great running. Looking back at that game, Dillon really didn't make anyone miss, he just pushed would-be tacklers down the field.

Oswlek said:
Dillon really didn't make anyone miss, he just pushed would-be tacklers down the field.

That's what Dillon does!

I do like Dillon but I think we might be better off with Cobbs instead of him. If I had to chose I keep Cobbs.

checkedout said:
That's what Dillon does!
Then why hasn't he done it since the Atlanta game? :confused:

After that first pre-season game I think Dillon reigned it in somewhat. I don't think he's been running with the same power he brings on game day, and his 3.5 yards per average - while not bad - is still not great, and falls well short of Maroney's production in those games.

The question is whether he's intentionally not going 100%, as its not unusual for teams to run some very vanilla plays and do their best to keep players healthy

Furthermore, when a team builds a major lead like the Patriots did, its a given that they are going to run the ball and eat time off the clock, its a lot easier for defenses to key in on the run, knowing that its coming - hence, one would expect lower yards per carry in that situation than one would if it was a close game where the play calling was requiring equal attention to defending the pass

checkedout said:
That's what Dillon does!

huskeralk said:
Then why hasn't he done it since the Atlanta game?

Huskeralk basically answered this for me, but I thought I would just agree with him to get my post count up.

I don't agree with the thought that Dillon only runs over people. In 2004 he was very shifty. No full-time running back can just hammer over people and expect to stay healthy.

Most of Dillon's runs have been 1st & 10 with teams stacking the box and Brady not using PA. This means nothing. if he were late getting to the hole that would be 1 thing, but I haven't seen a lot fo holes on his carries.

Born_a_Patriot said:
I do like Dillon but I think we might be better off with Cobbs instead of him. If I had to chose I keep Cobbs.
Wow. :rolleyes:

Born_a_Patriot said:

Wouldn't you first rather see what Cobbs is capable of verses starters rather then a bunch of guys who will be bagging groceries next week?

Born_a_Patriot said:

Find that strange you would let one of the top rushers in the game go for an undrafted rookie, nothing against Cobbs...but when the regular season begins Dillon will be ready, not sure if he will return to '04 form..but there is a strong posssibility that he might. He looks strong, healthy and partook in a rigorous off season conditioning program, he will want to leave on his own terms and knows Maroney will be breathing down his neck.

Born_a_Patriot said:

WTF???? What is wrong with people these days? I like Cobbs just as much as the next guy, but I'm not ready to dump DILLON over him. Gimme a break. Dillon hasnt looked great, but who cares? His roster spot is secure. Let's see hime atleast 3 games into the season before we start killin' the guy over a NOBODY! I mean, c'mon. You're setting a very bad example for the rest of the californians on this board.
Listen. Dillon is going to split carries with Maroney and Faulk all season long, so get used to it. Dillon is going to POUND and SLAM his where for extra yds. not spin of make players miss. When the postseason comes along, and the cold weather is brewing, Dillon will be fresh and ready to destroy anyone who stands in his way. I just cant believe you put Cobbs and Dillon in the same sentence.
I had people arguing with me over whether we should keep Cobbs over Pass. You're really in for it.:bricks:

JoeSixPat said:
After that first pre-season game I think Dillon reigned it in somewhat. I don't think he's been running with the same power he brings on game day, and his 3.5 yards per average - while not bad - is still not great, and falls well short of Maroney's production in those games.

The question is whether he's intentionally not going 100%, as its not unusual for teams to run some very vanilla plays and do their best to keep players healthy

Furthermore, when a team builds a major lead like the Patriots did, its a given that they are going to run the ball and eat time off the clock, its a lot easier for defenses to key in on the run, knowing that its coming - hence, one would expect lower yards per carry in that situation than one would if it was a close game where the play calling was requiring equal attention to defending the pass

This last paragraph would only apply if Dillon were on the field after the lead is built. The largest lead that Dillon has run with is 13-0 in the 2nd quarter, which is hardly a "run out the clock" situation.

I am hopeful that he is holding back a little, but the fact that he was a non-factor (sans the screen play) during the most "season-like" preseason game has me a little discouraged. I have a funny feeling that Maroney is going to be the primary rusher by week 6.

Last edited:
patsfan13 said:
Most of Dillon's runs have been 1st & 10 with teams stacking the box and Brady not using PA. This means nothing. if he were late getting to the hole that would be 1 thing, but I haven't seen a lot fo holes on his carries.

So, are you saying that it is acceptable if your primary rusher averages 3 ypc on first down - because first down is tough to run against? If that is the case, then why do teams run on first down?

I have seen plenty of PA from Brady, but even so, why would it matter when Dillon did get the ball?

He came out after the screen pass because he was poked in the eye. Let's just get a few regular season games done then bring it up again.

Unbelievable thread.

He does have the burst back. I saw it in TC.

He will pound you all game and wear you down in the 2nd half.

We have seen Corey in the first quarter only of 3 pre-season games. Now, people come here asking if he's lost it.:eek:

Didn't look too shabby on that screen pass Sat night, did he?

PATSNUTme said:
Unbelievable thread.

He does have the burst back. I saw it in TC.

He will pound you all game and wear you down in the 2nd half.

We have seen Corey in the first quarter only of 3 pre-season games. Now, people come here asking if he's lost it.:eek:

Didn't look too shabby on that screen pass Sat night, did he?

You hit the nail right on the head. That screen pass was nice. I feel that once the season starts and gets rolling, Dillon will step up the intensity. Its ******* preseason people. He doesnt care about preseason, regardless of Maroney. Once the season starts, their going to take the leash off of his neck and he is going to hammer defenses down.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing Washington did well last week is win battles along the front on early down rushing plays. Maroney didn't do a lot in his four chances either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes