PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it just me or has Rodney Harrison...

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomdomb

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
first time poster, short time lurker. maybe it's me but the last two games are the hardest hitting games I have seen out of the pats in a while. we were swarming to the ball and it was obvious that many of the dolphins were pretty dinged up by the end of the game. i think rodney has brought back some of that nastiness back to our defense. any thoughts.

atomdomb said:
first time poster, short time lurker. maybe it's me but the last two games are the hardest hitting games I have seen out of the pats in a while. we were swarming to the ball and it was obvious that many of the dolphins were pretty dinged up by the end of the game. i think rodney has brought back some of that nastiness back to our defense. any thoughts.

I think Rodney is slowly getting himself back. On some plays he looks like the old Rodney, on others I'm left shaking my head knowing that 'old Rodney' would have had it where new Rodney missed. He's making progress though, for sure.

Yesterday on Patriots Monday, Rodney said Sunday's game was the first game he really felt like himself - like his knee is back.

He's much more spry than before, and I agree with you, he's laying the wood.

Did you catch what Rudi Johnson said this past weekend during their bye - that the Pats hit like no other team he's ever faced. When the questioner asked what about the Steelers, Rudi said there was no comparison between the 2 - the Pats bring it like none other.

QB12

He's not even close to 100% of what he was right now but his ability to set up coverage is enough for me to cut him some slack. He's lost a step and I'm not sure if he can get it back at his age but he's a plus back there.

Good post. You can definitely see Harrison progressing slowly but last Sunday he definitely turned a corner.

I was also thinking that he looked more like his old self on Sunday. I think the nastiness is coming baaaaaaack.

QB12 said:
Yesterday on Patriots Monday, Rodney said Sunday's game was the first game he really felt like himself - like his knee is back.

He's much more spry than before, and I agree with you, he's laying the wood.

Did you catch what Rudi Johnson said this past weekend during their bye - that the Pats hit like no other team he's ever faced. When the questioner asked what about the Steelers, Rudi said there was no comparison between the 2 - the Pats bring it like none other.

QB12

I hate to say it but I think the Steelers hit harder than the Patriots. I think the pain he was feeling about loosing coupled with the hitting just made it seem like the Patriots hit harder. Kind of like when you are starving good food tastes even better.

Last edited:
The Pat's seem to move Harrison up to help defend against the run and short pass only when they feel well-covered against the deep pass. That hasn't happened much this season, but apparently the Pat's felt they could try it against Harrington and it paid off very big. However against the Bills he could be back again.

Patjew said:
I was also thinking that he looked more like his old self on Sunday. I think the nastiness is coming baaaaaaack.

I noticed it too on the play where Welker went over the middle and made that leaping grab. Rodney was late getting over, but really launched himself through the air to make a hit. That looked like vintage Rodney.

I don't know that he'll ever be back to how he was in 2004, but if he's close to 100% of his current form, then he's still probably a very good starter in this league.

I hope he continues unhindered in his recovery.

It was a very noticeable difference. I think he's at about 80%, and looked more like 60% at the beginning of the year.

I'll take 80% of Rodney over 100% of most safeties. :eek:

He should get better a lot more quickly now that he has officially 'turned the corner'.

I listened to Rodney on the radio yesterday. He said that the first couple of games the shemes that they were playing had him more in deep coverage than up closer to the line.

If anyone does not think that he can still bring it, I call your attention to his taking on Ronnie Brown when both going full speed. He also stripped the ball from him causing the first turn over of the game.

I think that Brown would say that Rodney's back and hell is coming with him

Last edited:
I listened to Rodney on the radio yesterday. He said that the first couple of games the shemes that they were playing had him more in deep coverage than up closer to the line.

If anyone does not think that he can still bring it, I call your attention to his taking on Ronnie Brown when both going full speed. The best pure tackle masd this year by any Partiots player.

He also stripped the ball from him causing the first turn over of the game.

QB12 said:

This is a remarkable statement.
Especially given that many of his teammates fancy themselves better man for man.
But if i had Pittsburgh still ahead on my schedule, i don't think i'd taunt them like that.

If true ... does it begin to explain our unholy vulnerability to wholesale injury?

But, WOW! what praise.

The Steelers TALK a lot more that we do, thus they appear to hit harder, be more aggressive.

I like most of our guys, smack 'em,then get ready to do it again.

Born_a_Patriot said:
I hate to say it but I think the Steelers hit harder than the Patriots.
I'm going to take Rudi Johnson's opinion over yours on this one, I think.

BelichickFan said:
I'm going to take Rudi Johnson's opinion over yours on this one, I think.

Ha!~

My thoughts exactly.

PATSNUTme said:

If anyone does not think that he can still bring it, I call your attention to his taking on Ronnie Brown when both going full speed. He also stripped the ball from him causing the first turn over of the game.

I thank Rodney for confirming what I thought my TV was showing me regarding his deep coverage role. Those who have been sniviling about Geno playing poorly might want to take that into account - then why expect reality to affect the socially challenged.

that knee can't be "fully functional" yet

atomdomb said:
he doesn't look like he's playing on one leg, but it's gotta be close to that.
i ruptured a right patella tendon once while running.
the tendon spapped, but i took another stride.
that stride pulled my kneecap up to mid-thigh. it took all the ligaments with it.
there was some nerve damage.
i had no feeling in my knee for about 18 months.
13 weeks in a soft cast.
a LOT of rehab. due to the repairs, that knee was/is more stable than the left knee, but i didn't have full range of motion for about a year. running with no feeling in a knee was strange.
maybe rodney's nerve damage from the near-dislocation has already rewired it self. maybe his rehab gave him full range of motion in less that 12 months.
i don't know.

I don't think we'll ever see the Rodney of old again, but his presence alone makes the defense a hell of a lot better.

Re: that knee can't be "fully functional" yet

ilduce06410 said:
he doesn't look like he's playing on one leg, but it's gotta be close to that.
i ruptured a right patella tendon once while running.
the tendon spapped, but i took another stride.
that stride pulled my kneecap up to mid-thigh. it took all the ligaments with it.
Yours was the first post to ever make me physically ill. I may never run again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back