Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is it just me, or do Haitians seem especially strong?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Jan 18, 2010.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +916 / 14 / -7

The only real knowledge I have of Haiti is from a few people I have met in DC, nice enough people, and from what I saw during their many interactions with the US, at the leadership level, usually in times of civil war.

Now because of this tragedy I'm seeing Haitians on TV speaking for themselves, and I'm struck by:

- their humility overall
    - a sense of strength... in story after story the ones who survive and get in touch w/their US relatives are more concerned that their relatives in the US are okay... trying to calm them down even if they've lost a limb
    - overwhelmingly, a sense that their religion sustains them. They seem to thank God for whatever they did survive with.

Of course I don't know what some of the rightist outlets are showing, but I have been struck by our little glimpse of the ordinary Haitian.

Is anybody else seeing this?

PFnV

PS, I know some are looting now... 4 days after every symbol and vestige of the state has disappeared for all intents and purposes.

2. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Looting or scavenging is normal and to be expected. I would do it if my life depended on it as would anyone here, those who say different are lying to themselves or just don't understand what being in a life or death situation is. If you don't have food/water you find a way to get it. It's human nature to survive by any means necessary. Looting for material goods is something else and should be put down as fast as possible.

3. s.t.e.n.d.e.c

s.t.e.n.d.e.c Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think that they have gone through so many natural disasters that they are desensatized, to it. They understand from past experiance that there is nothing they can do but wait.
    Theyare also extremly religeous so its Gods will, its a test of they're faith, they have to persevere to pass.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I don't know if it's a quality of Haitians or just a human quality that we never see until times of tragedy like this one PFiVA. All I know is that I can't watch too much of it at once because it breaks my heart.

These things always make me think of how i'd react and how Americans in general would act if anarchy took over. Would our best or worst come out? And when I get these thoughts, I usually block it out pretty quickly because it's too over-whelming.

I hope in the days, weeks and years to come, that Haiti ends up being a better place than it was before this awful disaster hit them. Because the truth is, it could be any of us.

5. TN Patriot

TN Patriot On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What you're seeing on TV is the way a most Haitians are, I spent 6 months there back in 1998.

A lot of what I am seeing on TV is not a shock to me, looting is a common occurrence even in normal times.

The only thing I'm slightly surprised about is after nearly 7 days is the lack of rioting.

The logistics of helping them is a nightmare.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

Cannot even comprehend on where to begin to help this country..

Yesterday was at the gym and on the tv there was a group of families on whose daughters were in the Montana Hotel in Port Au Prince, they were talking about how the kids were in that now crushed hotel. One of the fathers came on and was mad, because the US did not respond to that hotel immediately for his daughter... said had appealed to the president over and over for help.

Got me to thinking that in such a grand scale of destruction and death, that this father was angry at the US government because they did not respond to his daughter and immediate need... how are we to judge the allocation of limited assets and justify that his daughter is more important than someone else???.. feel sympathy for the father, but there are limits as to what we can do in such a grand triage...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Even doing everything we could would not even come close to being enough. The logistics don't allow it. It's such a sad situation, first responders must be so frustrated...even with the heroic effort put forth. The news we see does not do justice to this event. Both in the horror of the quake and aftermath and the effort of the brave people from everywhere trying to render aid and assistance.

8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +916 / 14 / -7

May we never have to cope w/what Haiti's going through on a grand scale like that. Looting's not looting when it's just for yourself. I did see a troubling report on it though... young strong men were beating the crap out of each other for the contents of a store then selling those contents on the street outside the store. I agree that the lack of large scale rioting is a surprise. God willing that will not change. God willing there'll be food, water, medical services and supplies on the ground, where it's needed, for everyone that needs it, as soon as possible... the scale of the event is just enormous, all in one tiny third of an island. At least with the tsunami a few years back, if you were inland a couple of miles, you could help the next village over. From the looks of things for many people there is nowhere to go.