PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it about time for a new FG Kicker?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMH..I didn't realize that Gost wasn't allowed to have an off year.. Take him out back and shoot him.. Forget the fact that he's one of the best guys at kick-offs. Forget that he's been money before and that he's still very young for a kicker.. Let's just throw the baby out with the bathwater..

This is a results oriented business. The Patriots let a guy ( A.V.) was a huge contributing factor in three championships. If Malcolm Butler becomes ( Using example. Obviously unlikely to happen) one of the worst CB's , you don't keep playing him because of Super Bowl 49.

Well I'd first look to see how he does in the playoffs, you never know. .

The problem is not that he is inconsistent, in fact, the problem is that he is consistetnly missing a kick each game. I'm not sure it would be wise to wait until the most crucial time of the year to wait and decide if he's REALLY lost it.

Even with that being said, I'm not sure there is a better option out there. If Robbie Gould was still out there I'd say scoop him up in a sec, but those darn Giants got him.

The problem is not that he is inconsistent, in fact, the problem is that he is consistetnly missing a kick each game. I'm not sure it would be wise to wait until the most crucial time of the year to wait and decide if he's REALLY lost it.

Even with that being said, I'm not sure there is a better option out there. If Robbie Gould was still out there I'd say scoop him up in a sec, but those darn Giants got him.
This is an example of the grass always appearing greener on the other side. Gostkowski is 31 for 34 in XP's this year. Gould is 13 for 16. So that is the same number of misses in 18 fewer attempts. Gould only has 2 FG attempts so that hardly constitutes a large enough sample to compare to Gostkowski, but he missed 6 last year. There's a reason he was unemployed.

This is an example of the grass always appearing greener on the other side. Gostkowski is 31 for 34 in XP's this year. Gould is 13 for 16. So that is the same number of misses in 18 fewer attempts. Gould only has 2 FG attempts so that hardly constitutes a large enough sample to compare to Gostkowski, but he missed 6 last year. There's a reason he was unemployed.

Midseason there will always be a reason a kicker would be available and Gould I think has shown a history of success and has kicked in bad weather. That's why if a move was made I'd think it would be for a guy like Gould. Ideally Gost will come out of his funk.

I didnt like the miss and pretty much called it but he was 3/4 and without the 3 the Pats dont win so he can do better but who out there is going to replace him? Maybe bring a rookie in next year to compete but I still like the ghost.

I dont think Kicking, PATS and FG have been great this year across the board.

Gost ranks 25th in FG% and 26th in XP%.

If the whole league is performing worse than last year Gost is one of the worst of those who are performing worse. :D

Anyways I hope he works it out. But it would be understandable if they cut him to try someone else.

This is a results oriented business. The Patriots let a guy ( A.V.) was a huge contributing factor in three championships. If Malcolm Butler becomes ( Using example. Obviously unlikely to happen) one of the worst CB's , you don't keep playing him because of Super Bowl 49.

Let me know when you figure out that there is MORE than just FGs to the kicking game. Then you might bring something to the discussion.

IF he'd missed 7 or 8 in a row, you might have a point. But he hasn't. He's still putting up FGs. He's still one of the best kickers in terms of kick-offs in the game. But yeah. it's a results oriented business. Let's just ignore 2/3's of what the guy does because it's convenient

Agreed. BB thinks so too as he went for it on 4th down rather than have Ghost try another long FG late in the game (he did manage to kick one when we got closer). It's so maddening that Ghost has "lost it" somewhere along the line, but as Fred Smerlas pointed out on the late show, "Who you gonna get at this point in the season? There's nothing better out there." As painful as it is, it's probably better to prop Ghost up and hope he gets better for this year (rather than rattle him with bringing other guys in) and save bringing in other guys for next training camp.

You may be right, but let's not pretend like Belichick doesn't often go for it in that situation. Whenever they're at that fringe field goal range (55 or so), if he thinks his offense is rolling he goes for it. Him doing so in a 4 point game doesn't automatically mean he's stopped trusting his kicker completely.

Yeah...It's only us Chicken Littles on this MB that feel that way :D

As Pats fans, we are spoiled. For twenty years, we have had 2 of the best in the league and XPs and FGs have become an after thought. You need only look around the league to see what's out there and realize that Gost is very good but in a funk now..... We can only hope that as quickly as he fell into it ( starting w the XP in the AFCCG) he'll come out of it.. I'd rather have the funk now than in the post season...
At least he has a supportive coach.
In Philly David Akers was once as reliable and had a bad spell ( what we didn't know at the time was that he had a child battling a life threatening illness) and instead of supporting him like Belichick/Pete Carroll, Andy Reid essentially threw him under the bus like Arians did with his kicker.....
I'm not saying he has personal issues going on but based on his history and reliability, we are all hoping he can straighten it out and I wouldn't be so quick to jettison him, especially knowing what;s out there isn't necessarily better!!
CvkomzrW8AA8UIb.jpg

Akers’ personal issue was six-year-old daughter’s cancer scare

There's a lot of All-Pro, can't miss kickers just waiting to be signed off the street.

Let's sign that Blair Walsh Minnesota guy. He should receive a second chance. Vikings would be thrilled to do the same with Ghost.;)

Relative to other kickers: I'd still take Gost over just about any other kicker in the league. He's still top 2-3 in the league.

Relative to the standard he set: He is no longer an "elite" kicker. This hasn't quite been the Nick Anderson (bball) type mental breakdown, but it's definitely in his head now.

Midseason there will always be a reason a kicker would be available and Gould I think has shown a history of success and has kicked in bad weather. That's why if a move was made I'd think it would be for a guy like Gould. Ideally Gost will come out of his funk.
Respect. Gould absolutely sucks at this point. You must not have witnessed him the last time he played in the NFL. Trust me, we are FAR BETTER OFF with Gostowski if that's what you're suggesting.

There's a lot of All-Pro, can't miss kickers just waiting to be signed off the street.
I don't know if this post was meant to be serious or funny. But if serious, who?

I don't know if this post was meant to be serious or funny. But if serious, who?
I wish there was a sarcasm emoticom because I have a feeling it would have been used with this post....meant to be funny......

Step back from the ledge fans.. I would rather have him get the misses out of his system now than in the playoffs. Remember Gary Anderson from Minnesota...perfect all season in 1998 (35/35) and his only miss was in the playoffs in a game that would have sent them to the Super Bowl..............

I wish there was a sarcasm emoticom because I have a feeling it would have been used with this post....meant to be funny......

Step back from the ledge fans.. I would rather have him get the misses out of his system now than in the playoffs. Remember Anderson from Minnesota...perfect all season and his only miss was in the playoffs in a game that would have sent them to the Super Bowl..............
I figured he was trying to be funny/sarcastic, but you can never tell with the amount of "sky is falling" type threads we've seen the past few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back