PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it a strong year for DE/OLB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been hearing the name Larry English pop up a lot lately. I guess projected as a mid day 1 pick. A friend of mine played at Nothern Illinois and gets every game via satellite. He was kind enough to make a DVD for me from some games this season. Needless to say, he was very high on English. He swung by my office this afternoon and dropped it off. I was able to look at tonight with a pad a pen and really focus on English alone. Here's what I saw of him based on the Tennessee game, the C. Michigan game and the Miami of Ohio game.

-Plays with outstanding pad/hip height.
-Delivers thump to chest of blocker, maintains technique, controls the outside shoulder of the blocker against the run.
-Agressive against cracks and doubles, but will get washed on jet cracks and other motion based downblocks.
-Blurry footspeed.
-Uses hands well as a rusher, keeps hands off of his breastplate.
-Favors the rip, uses it to set up other moves.
-Against C. Michigan, he takes a wide split. Beats T to the outside, back come up to assist on English's outside shoulder. English allows chip, takes momentum from chip, turns it to inside spin across the chest of the T. Sack.
-Defending run from OLB, keeps hips square to LOS, plays with excellent hands vs outside zone, wades through traffic. Impossible to run outside zone on. Cannot deny penetration against 51.
-Defends cut with tremendous form. Presses cut to turf, steps over and into gap, landing square and in hitting position.
-Concussive hitter.
-Reads the play with precision, displayed outstanding awareness on 27 counter trey vs Tenn, reads playside downblocks, crashes b gap, swims PG, 3yd TFL.
-Drops into coverage 2-4 times/half.
- Linebacker hips, quick to open into drop steps.
- Settles well, shoulders over knees, can run with TE.
-Violent player.
-Never takes a play off.
-Relentless in persuit.
-Several tackles/FF's from persuit tackles well downfield.
-Does not showboat.
-Patriot.

I'm sold on English. Sold, sold, sold, sold. Granted, he's really the only guy I have watched some games of, but the kid can flat out ball. His motor is outstanding, he has linebacker agility, he is agressive yet controlled. He is stout on attempted kickouts and wins 50lb mismatches with outstanding technique and leverage. He displays the type of vision required for Patriot players. This guy has Patriot written all over him.

Last edited:
You project Shaughnessy as an ILB? At 6'5? Hmmm.. Most see him as a potential OLB conversion. And he could be there for the Pats late in the 4th or the 5th round.
He's looking like my #2 SILB option behind Sintim. Shaughnessy has dropped on NFL Draft Scout's projection, they now have him carrying a 4-5 round grade, down from a 2nd round grade at the end of the season. Robert Francois (BC) and Orion Martin (VA Tech) are late round options to consider. UDFA prospect Dan Skuda (Grand Valley State) is another opportunity.

If by some miracle NE got the chance to draft Aaron Curry, I move him to the WILB and Mayo to SILB. Clay Matthews is another to consider inside whom I'd work at WILB first.

You project Shaughnessy as an ILB? At 6'5? Hmmm.. Most see him as a potential OLB conversion. And he could be there for the Pats late in the 4th or the 5th round.

Yeah...he's a great football player, strong against the run...but he has no quickness in getting to the QB...just a slow first and second step that a good OT will use to render him not a factor. He's got the size to play in the middle, and I think it's an advantage to have some height on the inside...can see over the LOS a bit better.

Yeah...he's a great football player, strong against the run...but he has no quickness in getting to the QB...just a slow first and second step that a good OT will use to render him not a factor. He's got the size to play in the middle, and I think it's an advantage to have some height on the inside...can see over the LOS a bit better.
Long arms for engaging the OG/OC too.

It is extremely hard for a guy who is used to playing with his hand on the ground to convert to playing in space and covering. Not to mention that it is hard for a 6'5" guy to get low and take on OG's and TE"s in the running game.
Very hard transition.

It is extremely hard for a guy who is used to playing with his hand on the ground to convert to playing in space and covering. Not to mention that it is hard for a 6'5" guy to get low and take on OG's and TE"s in the running game.
Very hard transition.
Agreed, but at 6'5" he's only an inch taller than Ted Johnson. As for playing off the LOS, Mayo and Guyton are the only starting or developmental LBs on roster who regularly played off the LOS - and Guyton was mostly at SLB with one year at WLB so he played much closer to the LOS. If he is sliding into the late 4th/early 5th as NFL Draft Scout now has him, I'd think seriously about him as someone to try at SILB.

Agreed, but at 6'5" he's only an inch taller than Ted Johnson. As for playing off the LOS, Mayo and Guyton are the only starting or developmental LBs on roster who regularly played off the LOS - and Guyton was mostly at SLB with one year at WLB so he played much closer to the LOS. If he is sliding into the late 4th/early 5th as NFL Draft Scout now has him, I'd think seriously about him as someone to try at SILB.

Isn't Antonio Applesby rated around that area as well? He might have less of a transition than Matt. Can Matt play ST??

Isn't Antonio Applesby rated around that area as well? He might have less of a transition than Matt. Can Matt play ST??
I got to watch Antonio in one game against Clemson, he looked pretty decent in coverage, but as a run stuffer...Cooper was the downhill/instinctive player. I'd take Sintim's instincts, and Shaughnessy's, as a match for Appleby's based on that one look - NFL Draft Scout projects him to Rd 5-6, one behind Shaughnessy. It really sucks, but the most instinctive downhill 3-4 ILB I've watched this season was California's Anthony Felder - only he weighed in at 6'2" 231 for the Shrine Game. My favorite late round kid is Robert Francois (BC). Do you know anything about Grand Valley State's Dan Skuda?

Do you know anything about Grand Valley State's Dan Skuda?

Skuta......played DT/DE; 6' 235lbs start of 2008.....evidently athletic enough to play LB....played at the Cactus Bowl (Div 2 - Senior Bowl equivalent)....

Skuta......played DT/DE; 6' 235lbs start of 2008.....evidently athletic enough to play LB....played at the Cactus Bowl (Div 2 - Senior Bowl equivalent)....
He's reportedly up around 250-ish now, I wish I hadn't forgotten the Cactus Bowl when it was supposed to be streamed live online...NFL Network could have made points with me by at least recording the game and playing it during their endless repetition overnight time window - just to give viewers a change of pace from the NFL Total Access drivel (perfect job for a couple of broadcast interns).

He's reportedly up around 250-ish now, I wish I hadn't forgotten the Cactus Bowl when it was supposed to be streamed live online...NFL Network could have made points with me by at least recording the game and playing it during their endless repetition overnight time window - just to give viewers a change of pace from the NFL Total Access drivel (perfect job for a couple of broadcast interns).

I saw GVS play on the tube once each the last 2 years. He was (by far) the best player on the field but how that would translate??????

NFL DRAFT BIBLE - Cactus Bowl: Prospect Report & Draft Hopefuls

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye