PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Indy The Patriots' Biggest Threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Newsflash: Colts are the Pats Only AFC Threat

I think any of the other 5 AFC teams in the playoffs are capable of beating the Patriots on a given Sunday. I think the likelihood is the Patriots beat them all since they are the best team, but you can't make a general statement like that. Not after 2007.

Take Pittsburgh, for instance: the Steelers are a good, balanced team - our past success against them does not guarantee a victory going forward.

I agree 100% with this. The past has no bearing on the playoffs. The Pats must play their best football of the year to win any playoff game. The stakes are higher, and the opponents will play better. IF the Pats play like they have the last 8 games, I don't think anybody can beat them, but there is no guarantee of that.

I remember 2005, a tough season with inconsistent play. I remember towards the end of the season, they destroyed Tampa Bay 35-0. At that moment, I thought, if they played like that in the playoffs, nobody can stop the Pats. They played like that against Jacksonville, and looked unbeatable, and then played like crap against Denver, season over. You never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

More worried about the Steelers than Colts.

So if the Jets come out and shut down manning and put up 130+ on the ground were guaranteed a spot in the superbowl?

Everyone is a threat, we saw that in the 2008 Superbowl.

no, no, no, there can be only one threat!!!!!1 Only one team can beat us!!!!!!1

I don't know why everyone is so worried about the Colts, a team that can't run, that can't stop the run, their defense sucks, and they won't be playing in a dome if the Pats were to play them in this playoffs. That might be the easiest win for the Pats other than the Chiefs.

I believe the Colts and the Ravens would give the Pats the most fits out of any team in the AFC

Most of us aren't worried, but to say that the five other playoff teams in the AFC aren't threats is stupid and arrogant.

no, no, no, there can be only one threat!!!!!1 Only one team can beat us!!!!!!1

That is true. It would be impossible for two teams to beat us in the playoffs. Only one can. I hoping none do.

I think the Pats are better than the other 5 teams. They should win and I will expect them too, but I can see any of those teams coming to Foxboro and winning. Colts vs Pats is always a tough game. KC is the least likely to beat us but they play nearly the same style as us, and then it comes down to coaching, sometimes BB gets out coached. Do you really think we would win 45-3 again? The Jets have a good team and as much as motivation is talked about here you should know that a 41 point ass whooping to a rival will fire you up the next time. Baltimore matches up the best against us and if their offensive weapons ever decide to play we could be in trouble. Just because we always have success against Pitt doesn't mean we are going to win every time. They are a solid team and if they figure out our offense....that would be bad.

I agree 100% with this. The past has no bearing on the playoffs. The Pats must play their best football of the year to win any playoff game. The stakes are higher, and the opponents will play better. IF the Pats play like they have the last 8 games, I don't think anybody can beat them, but there is no guarantee of that.

I remember 2005, a tough season with inconsistent play. I remember towards the end of the season, they destroyed Tampa Bay 35-0. At that moment, I thought, if they played like that in the playoffs, nobody can stop the Pats. They played like that against Jacksonville, and looked unbeatable, and then played like crap against Denver, season over. You never know.

2005 was a 10-6 season.

This year we are 14-2 and have blown out teams far better than the 05 Bucs.

It's different

Interesting debate on this topic. I'm with the majority who believe that you can't take anything for granted and that on any given Sunday the Pats could lose. That's all I'm willing to concede - I like the emotional makeup of this team. I think that this team has been tested and I believe that they will rise to the occasion when tested again. I like the fact that the games are in Foxboro, last year notwithstanding a very tough place to play in January in the BB/TB era.

So how do I feel about our opponents? Here is the order of who provides the greatest challenge:

1. Ravens
  2. Steelers
  3. Colts
  4. Jets
  5. Chiefs

i see no reason to fear steelers, though u respect any opponent, but tom brady loves the D pitt plays, them 2 back, he tears that apart, and made troy look like an idiot, granted they didnt have hines , he left the game early

I will be completely devastated if this team does not represent the AFC in the SB.

I will be completely devastated if this team does not represent the AFC in the SB.

Of course you will be along with everyone on this board including myself..they are expected to go due to their success this year

It might have been said by someone else, but the only AFC threat to the Pats, is the Pats themselves. They are a young team, without a lot of post season experience with those youngsters. If they can continue to play mistake free, opportunistic football, they will be fine. :rocker:

I am not worried but I think the Steelers are the team that gives us the best game also. If we have a successful day of spying Big Ben then they need to be worried. If he's running / scrambling well then the game will be close.

Last edited:

The Colts remind me a little bit of the Pats last year: an amazing team that has just been beaten down too much over the year. I don't see them as the "scariest" team, but a new brand of football starts next weekend. Forget the regular season, the great teams come out of their shells now.

Every team is 0-0 in this new season, and any team that advances to play us will be undefeated in this new season and a formidable threat.

I will be rooting hard for the Colts this week, because not only I hate the Jets but I do think they will give us a tough game.

I know I am in the minority but they are the only team I really fear.

Manning is great, but I can't see him beating us in a January game in Foxborro.
Everyone talks about the Ravens because of last year, but we were not very good last year, and that is the only time the Ravens beat us.
Pitt would be tough, but I think we just match up so good with them

The Jets however are a divison rival that has a history of playing well in Foxborro. I know we beat them down like baby seals last meeting, but its dangeous to use a regular season matchup as a gauge (see 2004 season vs Pitt).

Remember last season not many gave them a chance to make a run, and they almost got to the dance. Sanchez was awful in the regular season, and then he played lights out in the playoffs. Granted the defense isn't as good as last season, but its still solid and I think they will be better in the playoffs.

With that said, still don't see anyone stopping this train to Dallas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back