PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Gronk's forearm healed and will he need a brace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I remember the reports last year were that his forearm didn't heal correctly and was weak, hence the brace. It was unclear whether this would be a chronic problem or whether it was continuing to grow stronger. Does anyone have any educated speculation? Unfortunately, I missed my weekly injury update with Bill Belichick this week; we typically talk for 1-2 hours in-depth about specific player injuries while I'm tweeting the information in real-time.

If i was him i would be wearing as much body armor as i could legally wear whilst still maintaining 90% or better maneuverability safties and LB's are going to be targeting everything that isnt his core, might as well make them earn those torn ACL's

It certainly seems that way. When Gronk is on the field, the defensive game plan has to be centered around him. In fact, I would go as far as saying him and Brady are equal in importance when they are both on the field. The thing that makes Brady more important overall is that he can succeed without Gronk and he is durable and so the team can count on him being there for them.

Therefore, it would certainly be in every other teams best interest to follow the letter of the rules while trying to remove Gronk from the game. The curse of being so good.

That's homer for "made of glass."

God would I love him to just make it through the season, the playoffs, and knock on wood, the super bowl, without injury. Or maybe just with a ding here or there. Just once. Then I could stop saying "if he's there at the end, which is doubtful," and things of that nature.

That's homer for "made of glass."

God would I love him to just make it through the season, the playoffs, and knock on wood, the super bowl, without injury. Or maybe just with a ding here or there. Just once. Then I could stop saying "if he's there at the end, which is doubtful," and things of that nature.
That knee injury and his ankle injury were not due to him being "made of glass.". Those were nasty, and dirty, hits. The forearm injury was freaky.

That knee injury and his ankle injury were not due to him being "made of glass.". Those were nasty, and dirty, hits. The forearm injury was freaky.

The ankle injury was not a result of any dirty hit.

Gronk just needs to fall after the catch once in a while - or at least learn what a sideline is.

Though that may go against his style ... he is more valuable based on amount of reps vs YAC.

Does anyone know if they replaced the old plate with a new one last spring?

The plan was for him to play through the 2013 season and then have surgery to remove the plate in the offseason, but due to the infection that happened, that plan had to be ditched, and the plate removed.

I'm not sure if they removed the plate and left the cupboard bare, or if they replaced the old with a new last spring though? I am leaning towards the former myself, although I'd love to hear from @mayoclinic and others who may have a much better knowledge of medical procedures.

Jackson 2, first let me stipulate, I would not say that to his face. Ever. No matter how injured.

That said, you and I both know the question's not how well he's healing or whether he'll need a brace going into the season. It's what will take him out of the season.

Don't be pissed off. I'm almost always wrong. I'm trying to reverse-psychology the universe.

The plan was for him to play through the 2013 season and then have surgery to remove the plate in the offseason, but due to the infection that happened, that plan had to be ditched, and the plate removed.

I'm not sure if they removed the plate and left the cupboard bare, or if they replaced the old with a new last spring though? I am leaning towards the former myself, although I'd love to hear from @mayoclinic and others who may have a much better knowledge of medical procedures.

While awaiting the team's response to my request for his medical records and x-rays, I must rely on press reports that he did indeed have the plate replaced:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...gronkowski-scheduled-surgery-forearm/2192763/
One can reasonably infer no signs of infection were present (or they would not have put in another plate). He is probably fine. Unless he is not.
http://regressing.deadspin.com/what-really-went-wrong-with-rob-gronkowskis-arm-surger-1441138496
Doctors who performed surgery on New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski's left forearm Monday believe the nagging infection that hampered his recovery has finally subsided, a person informed of the prognosis following the procedure told USA TODAY Sports.

The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the team's policy of not discussing details of players' medical conditions, said Gronkowski had a new plate inserted in the arm he broke in November. It was the fourth procedure on the arm since the initial injury.
http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/2343953

Last edited:
Gronk just needs to fall after the catch once in a while - or at least learn what a sideline is.

Though that may go against his style ... he is more valuable based on amount of reps vs YAC.

He doesn't need to fall to the ground after every catch. He just has to know when to fall, when to keep running, and when to hurdle. Ward's hit is one he could have hurdled and went for another 5-10 yards. Pollard's is one where he should have fell.

He doesn't need to fall to the ground after every catch. He just has to know when to fall, when to keep running, and when to hurdle. Ward's hit is one he could have hurdled and went for another 5-10 yards. Pollard's is one where he should have fell.

Kontra, here are two reactions to the above:

1. What? You're really second-guessing split-second decisions on the field? How can you expect him to respond, in the moment, precisely what the right move is at the right time to avoid a specific injury? These are split-second decisions!

2 (a). Huh. Come to think of it... first of all, elite athletes have to make the right split-second decision all the time. Well, most of the time. Percentages and all that. If you have a poor decision-maker, you've got (insert crappy QB here.) If you have a good decision-makers, you've got Manning or Brady.

2 (b). Come to think of it...(b)... There are athletic pursuits that have you learn how to fall right as an opening bid. Maybe football should be one of them. I don't think they spend a lot of time on how to fall, however. Cf. the martial arts. I'm going down that rabbit hole with you - and deferring to your football knowledge, if you have it. Do they train in how/when to fall? If not, from an injury standpoint... shouldn't they?

Kontra, here are two reactions to the above:

1. What? You're really second-guessing split-second decisions on the field? How can you expect him to respond, in the moment, precisely what the right move is at the right time to avoid a specific injury? These are split-second decisions!

2 (a). Huh. Come to think of it... first of all, elite athletes have to make the right split-second decision all the time. Well, most of the time. Percentages and all that. If you have a poor decision-maker, you've got (insert crappy QB here.) If you have a good decision-makers, you've got Manning or Brady.

2 (b). Come to think of it...(b)... There are athletic pursuits that have you learn how to fall right as an opening bid. Maybe football should be one of them. I don't think they spend a lot of time on how to fall, however. Cf. the martial arts. I'm going down that rabbit hole with you - and deferring to your football knowledge, if you have it. Do they train in how/when to fall? If not, from an injury standpoint... shouldn't they?

Elite athletes should be able to make those sorts of split second decisions on the field. I think Gronk will learn to do it because he's gone through so much, injury-wise, in the pro's that he'll have to change his playing style just a bit or continue to absorb season-ending injuries. Hard to hold the Ward hit against him, though. He simply couldn't turn his head quick enough to see that coming, otherwise Gronk could have easily hurdled him. In other threads, I've made it clear for a preference of two capable TE's. One would be Gronk, the other could be Keller, Finley, etc. The reason for that is because Gronk's playing style, until he tweaks it, is simply conducive for IR. The reckless style that makes him so fun to watch also makes him prone to either nagging or season-ending injuries.

Last edited:
Agreeing with the above 2 posts...he can learn how to fall, tumble whatever. There are many disciplines that teach this. He can be as effective - if not as exciting, perhaps - by learning to scan the field, having moves after the catch to pause and look, pre rehearsed moves for that vulnerable time to make him less than a target (he can call Kevin Faulk, for Pete's sake, he was a master. There's a reason these less strong players can survive a career catching balls in traffic.

Obviously Gronk has quite a bit more surface area and momentum, but you can learn these things like you learn to run a pass pattern IMO.

Study the great tight ends, they used their bodies to hit while keeping limbs compact to absorb hits.

Agreeing with the above 2 posts...he can learn how to fall, tumble whatever. There are many disciplines that teach this. He can be as effective - if not as exciting, perhaps - by learning to scan the field, having moves after the catch to pause and look, pre rehearsed moves for that vulnerable time to make him less than a target (he can call Kevin Faulk, for Pete's sake, he was a master. There's a reason these less strong players can survive a career catching balls in traffic.

Obviously Gronk has quite a bit more surface area and momentum, but you can learn these things like you learn to run a pass pattern IMO.

Study the great tight ends, they used their bodies to hit while keeping limbs compact to absorb hits.

Kevin Faulk, and Ben Coates. Both should be examples for everyone wanting to survive catching balls in traffic.

As per the above, of course, I agree if it means having him there at the end. And ya know what? If he wants to go limbs akimbo in a Super Bowl, okay, because that's the time where 6 more points really might be worth it. Of course, once you train in something enough, that's what'll kick in -- not your "old style." Especially if, as seems likely, split-second decision-making isn't your strong suit.

See you here in three years after they've set the judo masters on Gronk, we lose a Super Bowl by 6, and we're all complaining about how they gelded the wild Gronk.

That's your opinion. I respectfully disagree.
I am not sure if it was dirty, but it was awkward. That is the norm for Gronkowski however, his size and refusal to go down leads to a lot of gang tackling and defenders forcing him to the ground awkwardly.

They replaced the plate sometime around 5/20/13 when they operated on it to remove the infection.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/20/4349572/rob-gronkowski-injury-forth-forearm-surgery-successful

I am not aware of the plate being planned for a third replacement so I am not sure if you are referring to this or something, I was not privy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes