PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Gronk news easier to take after 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gronk news is easier to take after 2001.

trying to convince myself that we could still win the SB

i haven't been able to.

Really? This is the deepest offensive squad in the NFL. I've been saying all year, the Patriots could have injuries to Gronkowski, Edelman, and White (their three most productive players since last year) and would still have an excellent offensive lineup with plenty of weapons. This year is unlike other years where they struggled to find a reliable 3rd/4th option. I mean, Keyshawn Martin was pretty good and couldn't even make the team with this group. On passing downs, Lewis/White (or both), Bennett, Hogan, Edelman, and Mitchell/Amendola. Sure, a huge dimension of the offense gets taken away and the there goes the ability to really have a stacked deck, but this is a darn good team. It's not like we are relying on a hobbled Aaron Dobson, retired Steven Jackson, etc. as a "must-perform-above-expectations" here. Maybe this is just what the GOAT needs to put that final chapter in his legacy, carrying a team to a SB win without his Hall of Fame tight end.

brady could blow out his knee and the game would still be played and I would watch as long as my wife doesn't make me do something else

The Gronk news is easier to take after 2001.

Winner. I would certainly love to see us win a 5th title, and more after. But at the end of the day, I've already gotten more from this team than I could have ever asked for as a fan.

I have to agree. I'm not taking this as bad as I did before we won number 4. Don't mistake that for me thinking we still have anywhere near the same chance to win it all, I'm just more at ease after the forth title. Anything more would be icing on the cake. I also don't stress as much as I used to. Still think it sucks though.

Gronkowski has been healthy enough to make any kind of impact in 5 of 11 games this season, and in those games, the Patriots are 4-1, while 5-1 in the other 6 games. Obviously not saying they are better or the same without Gronk, but they have built a team much less reliant on #87 than teams of the past that basically collapsed at the skill positions when he got injured.

Is the Super Bowl the only games they played in? And did you notice that during Montana's run, there were about 15 consecutive NFC teams who had their way with the Class-B AFC Conference?

Not only that - the real super bowl during the 80s was the NFCCG where montana did not fare as well.

Yep. I'm disappointed, but not wringing my hands like I probably did pre-2014.

If they manage to win it this year, it'll be a lot like the 2013 Sox championship; a feel-good, unexpected thing without all that pressure of needing to prove the whole world wrong.

Winner. I would certainly love to see us win a 5th title, and more after. But at the end of the day, I've already gotten more from this team than I could have ever asked for as a fan.

Yeah, if the Patriots never win another title I'll die a supremely satisfied football fan.

I mean, I imagine time traveling and telling my younger self in 1990 "oh btw when you're in your 40s you'll be rooting for the Patriots to establish themselves and this quarterback as the greatest of all time without argument by winning a 5th title." My younger self would be ecstatic.

The Gronk news doesn't feel even a slight bit better because we won it before. Just typing about him being done for this year makes me feel nauseous. With a healthy Gronk the Pats were nearly unstoppable.

Is the Super Bowl the only games they played in? And did you notice that during Montana's run, there were about 15 consecutive NFC teams who had their way with the Class-B AFC Conference?
I agree my friend. I think Brady is the GOAT but with a 5th ring there are no more rational arguments left otherwise without looking like a homer or hater.

Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed about Gronk's injury as I did have high aspirations for a championship. Sure, we still obviously still have a decent chance, but I won't sugar coat it as a given.

I've always said though that trophy 5 would be nice, but trophy 4 was a must for me as a fan. Now that we have trophy no. 4 I actually enjoy the games a little more now as I'm not as stressed 'chasing the fourth'. If they do win again it would be a GREAT GREAT bonus, but it would only be icing on the cake and not a true necessity in my eyes.

After coming so close year after year I needed that fourth one. If we received this Gronk news and we were still chasing the fourth title I'd probably have lost my mind. The 2014 championship to me has made this injury easier to accept.

The same goes for our loss last year against the Broncos. A gut wrenching loss to Peyton Manning of all people surely would have stabbed at my heart in prior seasons. As disappointed as I was I quickly realized .....it would be somewhat silly and selfish to be crying over not winning back to back Super Bowls. I think that would be the definition of an entitled, spoiled fan.

Do others feel the same way? That the news is tough to take but not as bad since there is still some after effects from the 2014 championship?
I think there is truth to the 4th championship, breath easier thing. Still, I want them to rack the rings up while they can.

Agreed. Going through that 10 year push towards getting to #4 has really put things in perspective. Very frustrating getting close in 2007 and 2011, and other times along the way.

Obviously would like to see Brady reach #5 and be the lone QB with 5 rings, but I'm perfectly content with simply being in the running at this point.
One thing about the 4th, is the other 2 appearances actually become more positive to me, and "shudder" the 16-0 season. For example, I would rather get to a 7th SB this year, and lose a good game to someone, than not get there. After all this is about entertainment for me. And getting there is entertaining for me. And the SB losses still add to their greatness in my opinion.

You still haven't convinced yourself the 2014 Patriots could win the SB.

sure i did. that team was loaded, we even had good in season trades. plus the defense was great

this defense? it stinks in comparison to the 2014 defense.

sure i did. that team was loaded, we even had good in season trades. plus the defense was great

this defense? it stinks in comparison to the 2014 defense.
Through 11 games it has played better. But why let facts get in the way.

One thing about the 4th, is the other 2 appearances actually become more positive to me, and "shudder" the 16-0 season. For example, I would rather get to a 7th SB this year, and lose a good game to someone, than not get there. After all this is about entertainment for me. And getting there is entertaining for me. And the SB losses still add to their greatness in my opinion.
Yet Montana fanboys will tell you that winning 4 Super Bowls and failing to make it more than that is better than Brady currently having won 4 Super Bowls and 2 additional conference titles

I yearned for that 4th Super Bowl too. Other than the first one, that one means the most I think.

We've had one of the best runs EVER for an NFL franchise. Can't complain at all.

We will have to see how this offense operates but i really hope mitchell and brady keep building on that chemistry they have shown the last two weeks.

Yet Montana fanboys will tell you that winning 4 Super Bowls and failing to make it more than that is better than Brady currently having won 4 Super Bowls and 2 additional conference titles
right, that is ridiculous... he is about to surpass all time wins regular season and playoffs... so obviously we count all those wins.. well he has won 6 AFCCGs too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back