Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is Galloway really a lock?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Fencer, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -13

#12 Jersey

To believe Galloway is a lock, you probably need to think either:

1) He's outperformed Lewis.

2) A. The Pats really don't want to go less than 3 deep at "speed receiver", B. with none of Welker, Edelman, Aiken, Ventrone, Nunn -- or for that matter Watson -- qualifying for that role.

1) doesn't really seem to be the case. 2A), however, makes more sense.

So is 2B) a fair assessment? And how strongly is BB likely to feel about 2A)?
  2. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It would and wouldn't surprise me if Galloway got cut. It would surprise me because the Pats don't have a proven WR to replace him. It wouldn't surprise me because he played pretty poorly this preseason.
  3. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,262 / 56 / -70

Disable Jersey

Tom Brady is a lock. Outside of that, everything is fluid, to one degree or another. That sounds trite but, with BB as the man in charge, it's true. Anyone who doubts that should just give Lawyer Milloy a call.
  4. JD10367

JD10367 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

One indication that perhaps both Galloway and Lewis have made the team? If Belichick was going to cut one, he probably would've done it in the first wave of cuts yesterday. He's pretty loyal to vets in terms of giving them as much time as possible to catch on somewhere else. If he intends to cut them, it's doubtful he would wait until today. JMO.

Galloway hasn't shown much, true, but he hasn't been awful. He hasn't been 20 steps behind the ball; there are no clear indications that his tank is empty. If Belichick believed that to be the case, he would've cut him loose long ago. So my hypothesis is that he's happy with Galloway's talent level for his age, and thinks Galloway can help stretch the side of the field opposite Moss and/or give Moss a breather. Same for Lewis, who throws nice blocks and can give Welker a spell.

The wildcard in this is the health status of Welker and Edelstein. If Belichick wants to keep both of them, but neither of them are at 100%, he might keep seven WR (Moss, Welker, Galloway, Lewis, Edelstein, Aiken, Nunn) for a week or two until both Welker and Edelstein are healthy. At that point, he will also have seen Galloway and Lewis in real action for a game or two, and can then decide to cut one of the four (Galloway, Lewis, Aiken, Nunn) or keep going with seven.

Of course, this is all with the supposition that Slater is IR-bound, and that Welker and Edelstein are NOT. I don't think their injuries are that serious.
  5. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Who's Edelstein?
  6. amazinPats

amazinPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Must be Edelman's long lost Jewish uncle. :D
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +426 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I loved getting Galloway when we did but with the preseasons of Aiken, Edelman and Nunn along with Moss, Welker, Lewis, I could see us going younger and, yet, still upgrading over Gaffney from last year.
  8. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +128 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

He's that guy that Dr Bellichick raised from the dead in the tower lighthouse of Gilette in hopes of creating the ultimate football player.
  9. JD10367

JD10367 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Julius Edelstein. He plays for Israel State. :shrug:

I think it was a subliminal cougar/MILF thing, 'cause I was reading about "House" not too long ago...

[​IMG]
  10. crowell33

crowell33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Galloway should be a slam dunk BUT.......I do have concerns that he can't run the routes needed for the Pats system. He can fly, but can he run the routes?
  11. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

mayo is a lock.......so is the starting OL.....moss, welker, thomas, warren, wilfork, meriweather, seymour, wright, guyton, burgess, baker, brace, vollmer.......there are more......they are all locks.....even hoyer has become a lock

doesn't sound trite at all.........just a bit ridiculous IMO
  12. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I think Galloway could be gone........to be 3rd or 4th on the WR depth and not play a down of ST makes him hard to justify given his play and failure to grasp his routes........at 37, he should have that stuff picked up by now and if he doesn't he can't help

moss, welker, lewis, aiken, edelman, nunn
  13. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +177 / 38 / -16

#32 Jersey

What if Branch gets cut?

Just sayin.
  14. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

for those who say galloway is getting cut.....

who plays opposite randy on the other side of the field?

lewis, edelman and welker are slot guys

htat leaves aiken and nunn.....neither of whom i would like to line up against a teams 2nd best CB.....these WR's are good, but not THAT good....
  15. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

welker has done more than fine lining up opposite moss.........just because they're good slot guys, does not mean they can't line up outside........

galloway has not even been 'not that good'
  16. italia44

italia44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

......or as Gene Wilder said:"it's edelSTEEN,not edelSTEIN":singing:
  17. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

when did welker line up on the wing last year?

and yea galloway hasnt been that good THIS YR, but u gotta also look at a vet's past in some cases
  18. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 7 / -2

#12 Jersey

...yes, Galloway can run routes. He's known for being a very good route runner, actually. And in general, any WR who has stuck around for 14 years, even if he wasn't good at it to begin with, is likely to become pretty good at it at worst.
  19. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I go by 2007 more since we got the right QB back again.......welker was out there plenty even with stallworth here

and no.....you don't need to look at a vets past........not when they're 37......either they grasp it quick, or they're not that much of a help........

he's been here the whole spring and summer.....to not be running routes right at this point is a no-no
  20. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 7 / -2

#12 Jersey

The really awesome thing about regularly lining Welker up outside would be that you'd get to make the team worse at *two* positions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.