PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Gaffney good enough for our #2 WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
... and let me say first of all, I don't mean #2 as in number of passes caught - I mean #2 as in playing the opposite, outside, deep WR position - opposite Randy Moss.

Last offsesaon many of us spent a lot of time and effort questioning whether Gaffney had the deep route speed and skills to take advantage of the fact that Moss would be routinely double-teamed.

Statistics-wise I hesistate to draw too many conclusions from Gaffney's numbers seeing as early on in the season we had a QB who was being restrained from looking too deep, and with whom no receiver had any experience with - and late in the season we had some very bad weather games - so IMO its a little unfair to look solely to Gaffney's stats this season.

As I often do, I default to the "eyeball test" and while I don't think the season will be won or lost on whether Gaffney's the #2, I can see a lot of upside in having a WR who can really make Defenses pay for devoting too much coverage to Welker and Moss.

If I were GM I'd definately see if I could find an upgrade at Gaffney's position, especially with someone who could be more of a deep threat - but if the price were too high, sticking with Gaffney.

The offense certainly was okay with him. I know he dropped a few big passes, but I think he works well in the offense. If the Pats signed a big time receiver to go opposite Moss, would there be enough balls to go around? Probably not. I think it may be better to have more of a role-player type in that spot who knows they are target # 3 in terms of priority.

and a wr who can go deep would be nice...

I'm happy with him as #2. He certainly seems content in the role, knowing that he may not get a pass his way for an entire game, but he's also good enough to take advantage when Welker/Moss are getting extra attention.

Also, importantly, Brady and Cassel both seem to have confidence in him.

If both WR went deep it would make it easier for the defense. Gaffney takes advantage of the deep safeties by taking slightly shorter uncovered routes.

Last edited:
talentwise he is OK, but it depends upon whether he prices himself out of the mix. BB obvious has dollar allotments for certain groups and if Gaffney wants too much he will be replaced fairly easily.

NO! Gaffney:mad: is the reason why we missed the Playoffs if he had only hung on to that easy TD pass by Matt Cassel against the Colts. Gaffney is a Jag and i don't expect us to Resign him. They are better guys available in FA and the Draft is also shaping up very nicely for WR's. A Polished Rookie could easily come in and Transition well along side Moss and Welker. The Pats just have to do their home work in the Draft.

If both WR went deep it would make it easier for the defense. Gaffney takes advantage of the deep safeties by taking slightly shorter uncovered routes.

I think that a lot of people here fail to understand

a.) How the Salary Cap impacts which wide receivers can be traded for or signed

b.) The geometry of a football field and the best ways to make defenses cover the most ground

c.) Gaffney was good enough to beat out Stallworth on the highest scoring offense in NFL history

I'm not a big fan of Gaffney, but I don't hate him at the position, either. He could be upgraded, but it's not something I'd expect the Patriots to think would be of any high priority. I expect he'll be back as long as his asking price is considered reasonable by the front office.

Last edited:

Moss doesn't go deep all the time... not even most of the time - he takes advantage of the fact that he CAN burn defenses deep and that helps him in most of his short to mid range routes.

Why would it actually be bad if the #2 WR were a threat to beat defenses deep? As with Moss it would be a benefit to that WR.

How could giving Defenses more to contend with actually make their job easier?

Surely you're not advocating that Moss go deep ALL the time, nor advocating that the #2 WR go deep ALL the time? That would be crazy.

Last edited:
I think that a lot of people here fail to understand

c.) Gaffney was good enough to beat out Stallworth on the highest scoring offense in NFL history

Not that I think we need to cover this ground again, but you can't just say Gaffney "beat out" Stallworth and not consider their salary.

There was no way they were going to keep Stallworth at $6 mil a season when Gaffney had similar numbers.

If Welker's salary demands were $30 million a season, I guess it would be likely that Gaffney would "beat out" Welker too. But that would be a product more of the salary cap than a football decision.

Not that I think we need to cover this ground again, but you can't just say Gaffney "beat out" Stallworth and not consider their salary.

I think he was saying that DURING THE 2007-2008 SEASON Gaffney beat him out for snaps, which is true, not just that Stallworth was allowed to walk afterwards.

Last edited:
Moss doesn't go deep all the time... not even most of the time - he takes advantage of the fact that he CAN burn defenses deep and that helps him in most of his short to mid range routes.

Why would it actually be bad if the #2 WR were a threat to beat defenses deep? As with Moss it would be a benefit to that WR.

Surely you're not advocating that Moss go deep ALL the time, nor advocating that the #2 WR go deep ALL the time? That would be crazy.

<sigh> here we go again....

Gaffney's drop against the Colts was on a 20+ yard pass where he'd beaten his man. Gaffney does go deep, and he is capable of getting catches when he does. The Patriots had a "deep threat" in Stallworth and chose to go with Gaffney over him.

Last edited:
NO! Gaffney:mad: is the reason why we missed the Playoffs if he had only hung on to that easy TD pass by Matt Cassel against the Colts. Gaffney is a Jag and i don't expect us to Resign him. They are better guys available in FA and the Draft is also shaping up very nicely for WR's. A Polished Rookie could easily come in and Transition well along side Moss and Welker. The Pats just have to do their home work in the Draft.

You can't put the team missing the playoffs on Jabar Gaffney dropping a catch. You have no idea what would have happened after that catch. Maybe Peyton turns around and scores on our weak secondary on the next drive.

Yes, Gaffney should be back next year. He is a valueble part of our WR corps.

No, I can definitely say that Gaffney beat out Stallworth. As Palm Beach Pats Fan noted, Stallworth was the starter at the #2 WR spot at the beginning of the season, and Gaffney took over that role.

Last edited:
1. Yes, Gaffney beat out Stallworth on the depth chart the season they were both here.

2. Yes, Gaffney could be improved upon.

3. No, it probably isn't a good use of scarce cap dollars to improve on Gaffney.

The patriots have a serious problem at wide receiver. They need to improve over Gaffney or they will be out of the playoffs yet again.
===================
????????????????????????????????
===================
In 2007, we had the best passing offense in the HISTORY OF THE NFL with Gaffney is the #2 position after he passed Stallworth on the depth charts.

In 2008, we had one the best pass offenses in the NFL with a QB who hadn't started a game since high school.

So, yes, there are players in the league I might like at #2 instead of Gaffney, but Gaffney is fine.

There was no way they were going to keep Stallworth at $6 mil a season when Gaffney had similar numbers.

If Welker's salary demands were $30 million a season, I guess it would be likely that Gaffney would "beat out" Welker too. But that would be a product more of the salary cap than a football decision.

Gaffney started the last 6 games as the #2 WR, and Stallworth was the #4, and was more productive in the role. Are you saying the Pats played a less talented Gaffney during the season because they were going to have to pay Stallworth in the offseason? That makes no sense.

Nope. Gaffney's a solid number 3 receiver. Welker's a perfect slot guy. Randy Moss is Randy Moss. I'd love to see a mid-round rookie with some speed (Quan Cosby, Texas; Mike Wallace, Ole Miss) to develop and send for some deep passes, but calling receiver a problem on this team is like lamenting the paint job on a stalled car. (A stalled car with a weak defense ;) .)

As can be seen by cuts every year, top end speed isn't the most important thing in a receiver. I agree with Deus. You could have an all pro at every position, including receivers with top end speed, the ability to cut on a dime and the size and strength to bully defenders. But you can't afford all stars at each position and few receivers who are lightning fast ever develop the intemediate skills non-Randy Moss players need to.

Gaffney is not slow. He just is used for the type of routes which take advantage of having a world class receiver next to him. He's a good receiver in that role. To get a great one might cost a lot more. We have a great number one and a great slot receiver.

Football is a lot more than receiver play. If people would get off their fetish for receivers, they might look at the defense where we are lucky to be able to field 4 NFL caliber LBs or DBs on any given day, depending on injuries.

Last edited:
As can be seen by cuts every year, top end speed isn't the most important thing in a receiver. I agree with Deus. You could have an all pro at every position, including receivers with top end speed, the ability to cut on a dime and the size and strength to bully defenders. But you can't afford all stars at each position and few receivers who are lightning fast ever develop the intemediate skills non-Randy Moss players need to.

I think I have to disagree with you and Deus that the only way to upgrade the #2 WR position is to bring in an expensive All-Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back