PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Fred Taylor quietly unhappy in New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad enough we need to read (or not) stir the pot, bait articles, but why comment on them?

Serious question?

How many of your 12000 posts are posts telling people not to post?

:rolleyes::D

I don't think Fred's turf toe is of the variety that simply gets better ... his is a chronic case and it's not going to go away - it's only going to keep getting aggravated. So yes ... i think it's safe to say his career is over but hopefully he grabs a ring this year to ease all the pain.

Taylor is a good character guy and says nothing to suggest he feels unappreciated or bitter for not playing. This article is just trying to stir things up after a weird game in which defensive players were needed more than offensive players due to injuries.

As for cutting him, who comes in if either BJGE or Woodhead get injured? Taylor has made infrequent appearances since he was able to play, so I am not counting him out of the Pats' plans for him just because he has not been getting all the carries in games. If he served no purpose and/or didn't want to play, he would be gone.

Serious question?

How many of your 12000 posts are posts telling people not to post?

:rolleyes::D

Very few. In fact that one isn't either. We complain all the time about the gossip press that tries to stir up dissension, rather than reporting things that are important to the team.

Is a player with two turf toes whose hardly played really important compared to the actual success of players who have played? I don't think so. Also, the OP made some references to him being bitter and unhappy that weren't supported by the article. The writer was trying to push that angle, not Taylor. Do you think Taylor is analogous to A.D.? I don't, and there's no evidence of that.

I told no one not to post. I asked a question. Why link articles that are obviously bait articles trying to stir the pot while at the same time bemoaning the state of Patriots journalism.?

“Ever,” Taylor told the Herald, pausing for emphasis. “But there’s time for a lot of firsts. Last week was my first time practicing in the snow. Yeah, I don’t read into it any type of way, other than that’s how the numbers count came about.”

“the same smile will be on my face.”

“I’m not insulted by any means,”

“Of course I wanted to play, they know that. I know what I’m up against.”

“I try my best to put everything on the table to be a realist about it,” Taylor said. “There comes a time, because of the nature of this business, you have to be able to understand that the torch has to be passed eventually. We still have some ball (left). I can’t let frustrations or any things that can possibly come with that linger or set in.”

Everything he actually said in that article. If someone concludes, based on that, that he is pissed, or in any way in an Adalius Thomas situation, good luck to them.

I don't see why I shouldn't express my opinion on that type of "leading the witness" journalism.

I'm sure he'll forgive BB when he gets his super bowl ring. Maybe pats are saving him for the playoffs? Keeping him from getting injured again. I would of though he'd at least get 2 or 3 carries a game.

Fred is a good weapon to have in the playoffs - particularly in the 4th quarter, when his hard running style could inflict further damage on an already tired defense. I would use him on 1st or 2nd down, leaving Brady the option to get the yardage needed on 3rd down.

Woodhead / Benny will be the first choices in the early part of the game, with Fred coming in after the Pats have established a lead. IMO, that's how BB will utilize Fred.

“I try my best to put everything on the table to be a realist about it,” Taylor said. “There comes a time, because of the nature of this business, you have to be able to understand that the torch has to be passed eventually. We still have some ball (left). I can’t let frustrations or any things that can possibly come with that linger or set in.”

Sounds like a man being a real man.

If Fred Taylor weren't on the team, we'd probably be signing a veteran backup for the playoffs.

Taylor is perfect for the role the patriots require of him for the playoffs.

Last edited:
If Fred Taylor weren't on the team, we'd probably be signing a veteran backup for the playoffs.

Taylor is perfect for the role the patriots require of him for the playoffs.

Often big games are decide by one drive or even one play.

BJGE has not proven to be able to plow through a stacked defense, though he's getting better, and especially getting better at making good runs into great ones. I love his effort this year.

Nevertheless, if we need to run to win and keep Brady upright, I'm loving being able to mix Taylor BJ and Woodhead. Wouldn't mind seeing Morris more either. More likely to see a really big play or two from those two on the bench than some JAG backups. Playoff games are funny, they often don't go by the script (meaning the players defenses are preparing for).

Everything he actually said in that article. If someone concludes, based on that, that he is pissed, or in any way in an Adalius Thomas situation, good luck to them.

I don't see why I shouldn't express my opinion on that type of "leading the witness" journalism.

I agree, Ray. What in that article even comes close to showing any hint of "Taylor being unhappy in New England"?

Well, it's Boston. When the team is doing well, there's got to be SOMETHING wrong, right? :rolleyes:

I agree, Ray. What in that article even comes close to showing any hint of "Taylor being unhappy in New England"?

Merry Christmas Shmessy. I think Rex Ryan's foot fetish has surpassed our multiple personality friend as the funniest internet, patsfans convergence thread.

Just giving a serious answer to a serious question. Usually not what the questioner is looking for.:p

I still think FT will show his value in the playoffs.

So do I. The guy just hasn't been healthy all season and the New England backfield has been productive. I can see him being worked more into the line-up in Week 17 and moreso into the playoffs.

Often big games are decide by one drive or even one play.

BJGE has not proven to be able to plow through a stacked defense, though he's getting better, and especially getting better at making good runs into great ones. I love his effort this year.

Nevertheless, if we need to run to win and keep Brady upright, I'm loving being able to mix Taylor BJ and Woodhead. Wouldn't mind seeing Morris more either. More likely to see a really big play or two from those two on the bench than some JAG backups. Playoff games are funny, they often don't go by the script (meaning the players defenses are preparing for).

Yep. The statistics show that he is not a very good runner on 3rd and < 6 or 3rd and < 2 yards or 4th and short.

You need to go back to 2007 to find when Taylor was last effective on 3rd and < 6 or 3rd and 0-2

For the hell of it, I looked at Dillons splits on 3rd and < 6 and he was outstanding. His 4th down not so much but those are hit n miss for anyone.

So my take is BJGE is not as good as Dillon on 3rd down < 6 or Taylor when he was younger. Could be a result of the O-Line, but great short yardage backs have a way of finding the yardage they need.

Quite frankly, that is what scares me a little about this team- they can't overpower teams in the running game. BJGE had only 6 carries vs GB where since the MN game he had been ave. about 17 cpg. Not sure if the coaching staff felt BJGE was overmatched, bad playcalling, fast defense, etc. Woody got more carries (only 9) but being 4-10 3rd down is not great. Would have thought running more may have cooled the pass rush a bit. Oh well.

My .02$

BenJarvus Green-Ellis Splits - New England Patriots - ESPN

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Shmessy. I think Rex Ryan's foot fetish has surpassed our multiple personality friend as the funniest internet, patsfans convergence thread.

Just giving a serious answer to a serious question. Usually not what the questioner is looking for.:p

You know, it's funny that you bring that up, Ray, because last night it hit me that Casale and Rex Ryan ARE sort of cut from the same cloth.

I would not be surprised in the least if ol' Rex visits and posts on this board. He has a history of getting into it with the fans (giving the finger last January at a MMA event, the message phone call to all the Jets fans to be loud at the first Pats-Jets game last year, etc.)

This IS the biggest messageboard in Patriotland and he is obsessed with the Pats. I'll have to check if we have any posters named "MichellelovesBrady". :D

Last edited:
Quite frankly, that is what scares me a little about this team- they can't overpower teams in the running game. BJGE had only 6 carries vs GB where since the MN game he had been ave. about 17 cpg. Not sure if the coaching staff felt BJGE was overmatched, bad playcalling, fast defense, etc. Woody got more carries (only 9) but being 4-10 3rd down is not great. Would have thought running more may have cooled the pass rush a bit. Oh well.

How is 113 yards rushing not "overpowering"?

Against GB, Woodhead was the better fit, because he very easily eludes the one-gap technique because he is very hard to get a hand on (by virtue of being so small and quick) when you try to shoot into the backfield instead of trying to contain.

You know, it's funny that you bring that up, Ray, because last night it hit me that Casale and Rex Ryan ARE sort of cut from the same cloth.

I would not be surprised in the least if ol' Rex visits and posts on this board. He has a history of getting into it with the fans (giving the finger last January at a MMA event, the message phone call to all the Jets fans to be loud at the first Pats-Jets game last year, etc.)

This IS the biggest messageboard in Patriotland and he is obsessed with the Pats. I'll have to check if we have any posters named "MichellelovesBrady". :D

You think Rex is playing footsie with us?:D

Last edited:
Yep. The statistics show that he is not a very good runner on 3rd and < 6 or 3rd and < 2 yards or 4th and short.

You need to go back to 2007 to find when Taylor was last effective on 3rd and < 6 or 3rd and 0-2

For the hell of it, I looked at Dillons splits on 3rd and < 6 and he was outstanding. His 4th down not so much but those are hit n miss for anyone.

So my take is BJGE is not as good as Dillon on 3rd down < 6 or Taylor when he was younger. Could be a result of the O-Line, but great short yardage backs have a way of finding the yardage they need.

My .02$

BenJarvus Green-Ellis Splits - New England Patriots - ESPN

Bj and Woodhead have been tremendous, but there is always the Parcells-Belichick, "you are what you are".

There are very few RBs in a given decade with some combination of power, speed and elusiveness that makes them stand out. Dillon was pure power in his later days, obviously the whole package earlier. Taylor is probably more elusive and less powerful than Dillon, but the fact is, they both have the ability to make something out of nothing and plow defenses stacked against them to kill games (hopefully, if Taylor's still got it).

It just kills me when people keep using statistics for a point that isn't about statistics.

If BJ has 100 yards and Earl Campbell has 50, that doesn't make BJ more powerful than Earl Campbell on the next hand off.

Last edited:
What about when Kevin Faulk comes back? I doubt there'd be space for Fred then.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's contributed a whole lot in the form of spending time with Benny. But, that being said, BJGE pretty much has the same mold as a RB as Taylor does. What we need right now is a power running back (the guy who can bash through the line on 3rd and 1), with BJGE and Woodhead serving the functions they do now, and Kevin Faulk in there on third down screens.

What about when Kevin Faulk comes back? I doubt there'd be space for Fred then.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's contributed a whole lot in the form of spending time with Benny. But, that being said, BJGE pretty much has the same mold as a RB as Taylor does. What we need right now is a power running back (the guy who can bash through the line on 3rd and 1), with BJGE and Woodhead serving the functions they do now, and Kevin Faulk in there on third down screens.

Oh, he's gone after this year. I'd be shocked if he was back and surprised if Faulk returns.

I'd be quite surprised if we didn't have at least two new RBs next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back