PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is "Drudge" drudging? [Update: New York Times details on 2000-07 tapings]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh??? A NEW claim?? Sorry that doesn't make any sense.. new details OLD claim...what is new in anything he said other than he made them?? Joe Scmo said he say the burglary at Watergate in 72...new claim?? I don't think so...

If Joe Schmo said he was at the burglary in '72, it would be a new claim. The claim by a new source that he was privy to taping in 2000 is a new claim.

Prior to the new claim in question, the information we had was the following:

- Matt Walsh claims to have... er something unspecified... possibly only his own fond recollections, possibly a tape.

- Goodell claims that his discussions with Belichick indicated that the Patriots' behavior in game 1, 2007, was a part of a pattern that went throughout BB's tenure at the Pats

... we therefore have no player coming forward and claiming he knew all about this spygate thing.

First of all, the very fact that a new source substantiates an existing one with a claim of his own makes it a new claim.

Secondly, to my knowledge, nobody has specifically said that the players all knew about this videotaping thing.

So prior to this claim, for example, Brady has never been implicated. A player making that claim lays open the possibility of "oh my God the whole team is dirty!"

You'll probably see elsewhere I have a pretty nuanced approach to the whole thing. I think it's overblown, hyperbolic, and, by dint of uneven enforcement, grossly unfair to make a scapegoat of the Patriots. I do think the Pats broke the rules. I don't think they won all their super bowls because of it. I don't think that they are the only ones. I think they were pursuing a kind of "gamesmanship" that every team pursues, and went over the line -- but I know for a fact that other teams have gone over that same line.

Regardless: it does nobody any good to stick their heads in the sands and try to group-think our way out. All in all, there's no way out anyway.

But this is certainly a "new claim," and, given that it's the team of the decade, any new claim will make the news.

If it were the Houston Texans, as we all know, none of it would be news.

PFnV

Maybe I am stupid but (Spygate Question)

Isn't everything in the New York Times story fully consistent with everything Bill Belichik has said since the begining and if so WHY IS THIS NEWS?

Re: Maybe I am stupid but (Spygate Question)

Shouldn't this have been added to the thread about the story?

Delete the "Maybe." :rolleyes:

Because people are stupid and they read a sensational headline and think there is something there. This gives the Times unwarranted exposure across the country because everywhere from ESPN to the Drudge Report is carrying it.

Why doesn't the New York Times does some actual investigative work and look into these types of video allegations throughout the league. Remember that ex-patriots camerman who claimed that other teams videotaped? Did reporters question him? Did Goodell question him? Did Specter question him? What about Jimmy Johnson. He was pretty clear that other teams were doing this, why has nobody questioned him on his knowledge. Why isn't he in Specter's office? Why does this whole matter start and end only with the Patriots?

Maybe I am stupid but (Spygate Question)
............:yeahthat:..........
Isn't everything in the New York Times story fully consistent with everything Bill Belichik has said since the begining and if so WHY IS THIS NEWS?

Last edited:

aren't you the same guy who jumped on me last night?

where's the civility here?

:eek::eek:

Civility? Why would anyone post something stupid
if they already know it's stupid? What does he need a hug or something?

Civility? Why would anyone post something stupid
if they already know it's stupid? What does he need a hug or something?

:D

A hug might be nice.

Why doesn't the New York Times does some actual investigative work and look into these types of video allegations throughout the league. Remember that ex-patriots camerman who claimed that other teams videotaped? Did reporters question him? Did Goodell question him? Did Specter question him? What about Jimmy Johnson. He was pretty clear that other teams were doing this, why has nobody questioned him on his knowledge. Why isn't he in Specter's office? Why does this whole matter start and end only with the Patriots?

Ummmm...

The operative words here are "New York Times", the owners of (gasp!) The Boston Globe. Oh yeah, let's not forget their motto: "All the news that fits, we print!".

The NYT, and especially the Globe have NEVER been known to let facts (and especially fact-checking) get in the way of a good story. :rocker:

The NY Post has taken a nice swipe at the NY Times story of new evidence calling it "Giantly Inaccurate."

Greg Aiello e-mailed the Post and said the Patriots were not caught taping the Giants defensive signals during a 2000 preseason game.

It's absolutely ridiculous how the highly misleading Times story got so much publicity yet the story in the Post gets nothing.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02232008/sports/giantly_inaccurate_98952.htm

Re: Is "Drudge" drudging?

Actually, there are no new charges. That was just the NY Times way of keeping this in the limelight. Kinda like the way we bump the "Boycott the Herald" thread.

This is certainly nothing more than a joke Pats fans. Do not fret, there is nothing "NEW" to worry about. And in my opinion, there is nothing to worry about period.

:D

A hug might be nice.

If a. paul is not a Patriots fan, can we just delete this STUPID thread? Seriously, are we going to post every new rumor there is in a new thread?

I'm sure our mods will do the right thing.

But non-Patriots fans should not be allowed to add to the rumor mill on spygate. That is just senseless.

Last edited:
The NY Post has taken a nice swipe at the NY Times story of new evidence calling it "Giantly Inaccurate."

Greg Aiello e-mailed the Post and said the Patriots were not caught taping the Giants defensive signals during a 2000 preseason game.

It's absolutely ridiculous how the highly misleading Times story got so much publicity yet the story in the Post gets nothing.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02232008/sports/giantly_inaccurate_98952.htm

It does tie Anderson's memo to that game, though.

According to Aiello, the Giants mentioned to Ray Anderson, the league's vice president of football operations, at the 2006 preseason game that they heard the Patriots were taping coaching signals. That's as far as the Giants got.

"No camera person was identified," Aiello said. "No tapes were seized. There was no formal complaint made by the Giants."

But the following week Anderson issued a memo to all teams reminding them of the policy prohibiting the videotaping of coaching signals anywhere in the stadium.

The last part is giantly inacurrate. The Anderson memo references certain locations taping cannot be done from, not from anywhere in the stadium. It's been a mystery to me why not just outright say no taping of coaches signals anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back