PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is "Drudge" drudging? [Update: New York Times details on 2000-07 tapings]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How painful is it now you bring up he who will be named.
That we lost the 19th game of the season by 3 points?

Actually, I think McGinest has intimated that he has some bad blood about leaving. He has taken the high road publically and praised Belichick and the Pats. But I got the sense that he was not happy he wasn't given the opportunity to retire a Patriot. Granted I could have read into the situation wrong.

One guy I did forget who seems to have said negative things about the Patriots off the record (at least in terms of his own situation) was Adam Vinatieri.

I remember something with Seau getting #55 when he became a Patriot. I think Willy was expecting the #55 to be retired.

Can we just get this walsh to talk and get this over with it already, the damage has been done in the perceptive world...

I remember something with Seau getting #55 when he became a Patriot. I think Willy was expecting the #55 to be retired.

Yeah, that was it. McGinest was upset that he was even asked to give up the number (he claims he gave permission because he felt awkward) and that the Pats' front office (I am guess he meant the Krafts) didn't step in and say that no one could wear McGinest's number.

LoL, channel 7 just reported this as new news??? I guess it all new again. I am shocked. I guess we should be punished again...and again...and again...and again... and again...

I hate the media!

LoL, channel 7 just reported this as new news??? I guess it all new again. I am shocked. I guess we should be punished again...and again...and again...and again... and again...

I hate the media!

It is ridiculous that you put a sensational headline on a rather mundane piece and everyone acts like they broke the Watergate scandal.

Surprisingly, the one guy who has looked at the article level-headily is Mike Florio. From PFT:

"NEW CHEATING CHARGES" ARE OLD NEWS

The item to which the Drudge Report has or will be linking is a New York Times article that traces the Patriots' practice of videotaping defensive coaching signals back to the 2000 preseason.

But this really isn't "new." It has been established that Pats coach Bill Belichick began the practice when he joined the team in 2000. Belichick contends that he interpreted the rules to permit the practice.

So that's it. Those are the "new cheating charges."

We don't fault the guys who wrote the article, John Branch and Greg Bishop. Instead, the false impression created by the headline was created by whoever wrote the headline. As we've learned over the years, that person rarely is the person who wrote the story.

The Times article also contains some interesting quotes harvested on Thursday in Indianapolis. For example, former Rams coach Mike Martz said that he wants the league to continue to investigate whether the Patriots taped his team's walk-through practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI, and Martz took issue with the notion that having such information wouldn't be useful.

"For somebody to say that, it's kind of disgusting," Martz said. "The whole point is if they really cheated. To say he took some steroids and it did help or it didn't help, that’s never the point. The point is, to all these high school coaches and high school kids and college kids, that if they did cheat, that’s the point."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I hate the media!

Like I said, just get Walsh, see what he has, which is probably the defensive coach with hand signals, and scorboard signs... And lets move on. The Pats are going to have a taint on thier accomplishments, and that sucks.. But that is the so called drive by media...

I hate the media!

I guess they didn't bother to read the article. :rolleyes:

Really? There's nothing new here? Maybe there's no new evidence but a hell of a lot of new info, unless you guys have some better source than me.

I don't remember seeing the competition committee quotes before. Where were they previously published?

I don't follow spygate that closely, but was that summed up before by members of the comp. committee, that

"We all have different opinions but we're all satisfied w/the investigation?"

How about the former patriots player "quoted" (although he's not named - a surefire cred issue for me)? Did we cover a former player from 2000 saying he knew firsthand about taping from that season?

I mean, are you guys just way more dialed in than me on spygate, or isn't this stuff I haven't previously seen?

It looks to me that they took the get-together opportunity of the Combine to meet on this issue, which puts all these guys in town at one time. That generates the interview opportunities. So now there's the opportunity to put out the "sense of the league" through a variety of mouthpieces.

It looks like the concensus seems to be:
"We're satisfied with the investigation and the fine. Go away Specter. But we're not taking a group hit for what we're calling the sins of one team."

Sounds like there's new info here to me.

PFnV

Really? There's nothing new here? Maybe there's no new evidence but a hell of a lot of new info, unless you guys have some better source than me.

I don't remember seeing the competition committee quotes before. Where were they previously published?

I don't follow spygate that closely, but was that summed up before by members of the comp. committee, that

"We all have different opinions but we're all satisfied w/the investigation?"

How about the former patriots player "quoted" (although he's not named - a surefire cred issue for me)? Did we cover a former player from 2000 saying he knew firsthand about taping from that season?

I mean, are you guys just way more dialed in than me on spygate, or isn't this stuff I haven't previously seen?

It looks to me that they took the get-together opportunity of the Combine to meet on this issue, which puts all these guys in town at one time. That generates the interview opportunities. So now there's the opportunity to put out the "sense of the league" through a variety of mouthpieces.

It looks like the concensus seems to be:
"We're satisfied with the investigation and the fine. Go away Specter. But we're not taking a group hit for what we're calling the sins of one team."

PFnV

We already know the taping began in 2000, Goodell has said that already, but using an unnamed source is a new twist, but it doesn't tell us anything really new.

Some of the quotes from the Competition Comititee have already been reported, some I've never seen. But whats really misleading is the headline of the article. New Claim of Taping Emerges Against Patriots? What the unnamed source telling us about something we already knew?

Last edited:
NY Times also doing a hatchet job today on John McCain. If it was on Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama, the story would never see the light of day.

For a long time now I've maintained the Old Grey Whore is no longer the paper of record. That distinction falls upon the erstwhile tabloid, Weekly World News (who still maintains a Web presence).

My critics have replied, "There is nothing factual in Weekly World News". (In fact, one of these critics told me he was once a "fact checker" for the paper!) But this is not entirely true.

But no matter.

The Times foists stories like this off on us because they think they can get away with it.

Most of the time, they can.

However, it's days like this that we can see the Emperor has no clothes. We can also see he also has no fact checkers.

It's because of dichotomies like this that I made the initial boast about News Leadership.

And in spite of it all (or, maybe because of it all!), even with tongue planted firmly in cheek, I stand by that initial statement.

The Times is now little more than a daily urban edition of Grit, and I say this with all due respect to the fabled weekly paper.

Unless you're a New Yorker (it does have it's moments in local coverage), reading this rag may make you appear snobbish, it may make you elitist, but it won't leave you particularly well informed.

Just my $.02 on a populist view of an effete Liberal Eastern institution....

Re: Is "Drudge" drudging?

Shouldn't the title of this story be:

"New Claim of Taping Emerges Against Patriots Eventhough It Really Is A Rehash of the Same Claims Already Known, But This Article Will Get More Exposure If We Use A Sensational And Misleading Title"

Didn't we already know that Belichick admitted to taping since his became head coach in 2000. So exactly how new is the claim by a former player who reitterated what we already know?

Exactly and Florio agrees as well:

www.profootballtalk.com

POSTED 10:32 p.m. EST, February 21, 2008
"NEW CHEATING CHARGES" ARE OLD NEWS

The item to which the Drudge Report has or will be linking is a New York Times article that traces the Patriots' practice of videotaping defensive coaching signals back to the 2000 preseason.

But this really isn't "new." It has been established that Pats coach Bill Belichick began the practice when he joined the team in 2000. Belichick contends that he interpreted the rules to permit the practice.

So that's it. Those are the "new cheating charges."

We don't fault the guys who wrote the article, John Branch and Greg Bishop. Instead, the false impression created by the headline was created by whoever wrote the headline. As we've learned over the years, that person rarely is the person who wrote the story.

The Times article also contains some interesting quotes harvested on Thursday in Indianapolis. For example, former Rams coach Mike Martz said that he wants the league to continue to investigate whether the Patriots taped his team's walk-through practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI, and Martz took issue with the notion that having such information wouldn't be useful.

"For somebody to say that, it's kind of disgusting," Martz said. "The whole point is if they really cheated. To say he took some steroids and it did help or it didn't help, that’s never the point. The point is, to all these high school coaches and high school kids and college kids, that if they did cheat, that’s the point."

Really? There's nothing new here? ...

PFnV

There are a few new details, but the headline "NEW CHARGES OF CHEATING" sets you up to expect to read about "Here's something else that they did"

whereas all that is delivered is "here are a few new details related directly to what they have already been punished for, and here are some people's reactions"

That is an important and obvious difference.

The y2k ex-Patriot is, as we all seem to agree, new.

This makes his claim that the Pats were taping a new claim.

Nothing heretical there, nothing earth-shattering. A new claim, from an unnamed source. I think we should all get used to it, honestly.

But hey, if we want to have public seizures every time one of these articles come out, we're just as entitled to them as the papers are to publish new claims based on unnamed sources.

PFnV

go to hell, noob. BigglesWorth has a point. There are at least 5 spygate threads started per day, here, and, more often than not, none of them have anything new to contribute to the matter (like this one). We're all sick of it.

Play nice, children.

NY Post article - Spygate - Published today

If I was to create ANOTHER friggin spygate post I wanted to be sure that I mentioned it in the post heading, so people could skip it knowing it advance...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/sports/football/22patriots.html

...article published today.

I particularly thought this quote by Mara was interesting...

“We were all satisfied, every one of us,” said John Mara, the Giants’ president. “All of us have our different opinions about the Patriots, but we were all satisfied that this thing was investigated properly and that they came to the proper conclusion.”

...quite honestly I feel as if the league may be starting to get more and more scared. I honestly think that. I think if a proper thorough investigation were done, a lot of organizations would be at fault.

Through the whole thing I am torn between wanting it to go away and having our team stick up for themselves and give it to the rest of the league. Sometimes it just aggravates me to think other teams are being brought to justice.

I know I know, just thought I would post the article in case anyone wanted to read it....

Last edited:
Re: NY Post article - Spygate - Published today

Dale and Holley went off on this article, Holley especially disgusted with the NYT.

Last edited:

How the **** are the NY Times hacks and incompetent writers? If that's the case, then every news agency in the world is full of "hacks" and incompetent writers. ******* people, I swear, thinking Mike Reiss is the only fair reporter and a Puliter Prize winner because he's a PR man for the Patriots. Deal with it, this Spygate thing is a big story and we did wrong. We are going to see more negative stories than positive ones in this case.

The y2k ex-Patriot is, as we all seem to agree, new.

This makes his claim that the Pats were taping a new claim.
Huh??? A NEW claim?? Sorry that doesn't make any sense.. new details OLD claim...what is new in anything he said other than he made them?? Joe Scmo said he say the burglary at Watergate in 72...new claim?? I don't think so...

Willie's #55 will be retired I bet in the next 7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes