PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Drew done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funghi,
Just caught up on last day or so posts - so this is backtracking a bit but I have to take issue with one point you made.

flying funghi: Now--in regards to the records of Buffalo and Dallas before and after Drew--all you are proving is that Drew Bledsoe has been marginally superior to Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Alex Van Pelt, Travis Brown, Shane Matthews and now Tony Romo.

Now I don't know what records Bledsoe set in Dallas - I know he has a couple in Buffy. But if a team record was set; that means it was better than all the QBs in the team's history not just the subsequent lamebrains. So I would just say that you left 3 names conveniently off your list of QBs:

Jim Kelley
Roger Staubach
Troy Aikman

If he set records over the top of those 3 HOFers - I think you have to at least give him that in your relentless pursuit to demonize him as worst QB ever.

He isn't the best (much as we hoped back in mid 1990s) and he isn't the worst. His biggest crime is really just that he was content to try and repeat 1995 over again for 11 years without ever learning or growing as a nfl player or QB. He did a lot for the franchise; but couldn't get better.

He is what he is. Let it go.

Gumby said:
Funghi,
Just caught up on last day or so posts - so this is backtracking a bit but I have to take issue with one point you made.

Now I don't know what records Bledsoe set in Dallas - I know he has a couple in Buffy. But if a team record was set; that means it was better than all the QBs in the team's history not just the subsequent lamebrains. So I would just say that you left 3 names conveniently off your list of QBs:

Jim Kelley
Roger Staubach
Troy Aikman

If he set records over the top of those 3 HOFers - I think you have to at least give him that in your relentless pursuit to demonize him as worst QB ever.

He isn't the best (much as we hoped back in mid 1990s) and he isn't the worst. His biggest crime is really just that he was content to try and repeat 1995 over again for 11 years without ever learning or growing as a nfl player or QB. He did a lot for the franchise; but couldn't get better.

He is what he is. Let it go.

Okay--I'll let this go for the most part--except the part where Bledsoe set positive records for the Cowboys and Bills--I'll see what I can find, but I don't recall anything...

WEEI is reporting that according to the DFW Telegram Romo will be named the starter for the Carolina game later today. PC with Tuna later. According to the article the smarmy owner is not entirely thrilled with the decision since he still believes experience was their best bet to get to the playoffs. But he also believes they have to win games and Romo's mobility is in his favor.

WEEI says they will try to cover the Tuna meets the press drama later today.

MoLewisrocks said:
WEEI is reporting that according to the DFW Telegram Romo will be named the starter for the Carolina game later today. PC with Tuna later. According to the article the smarmy owner is not entirely thrilled with the decision since he still believes experience was their best bet to get to the playoffs. But he also believes they have to win games and Romo's mobility is in his favor.

WEEI says they will try to cover the Tuna meets the press drama later today.
There also seem to be reports doing the rounds that Jerry Jones is about to get into a tug-of-love battle with Dan Snyder over Jeff Fisher. Tuna must be loving that. :eek:

ironwasp said:
There also seem to be reports doing the rounds that Jerry Jones is about to get into a tug-of-love battle with Dan Snyder over Jeff Fisher. Tuna must be loving that. :eek:

I always assumed when Tuna signed that extension last year it was just to facilitate his exit. His deal would have been up after this season and he has never finished (honored) a contract in his career. So they tacked on a dummy year and slipped him an extra million or two to stay on through 2006. There is also a rumor that he was slipped another couple of million for agreeing to deal with Jerry's 2006 binky TO.

Tenn has an option on Fisher. Tough to keep a guy who wants out in that situation but Floyd is liable to exercise that option in order to cause a bidding war for Fisher and elicit compensation for him.

Re: Drew is done?

Flying Fungi said:
oh for goodness sakes...it is both humorous and topical...

with the exception of the win/loss records, you have failed to provide a shred of evidence that would counter my arguments of Bledsoe's overall mediocrity and fading star...

53 fumbles since he left NE??

Why would I bother?

You called 23-25 just marginally better than 8-24.

As recently as last season, Bledsoe was 8th in the NFL in attempts, completions, passing yards and passing touchdowns, and completed 60% of his passes. He helped improve the team from 6-10 to 9-7. Yet, somehow, you claim that's mediocrity.

It's clear that you've got a personal agenda and don't care about the reality. So, further discussion about the issue is just a waste of time. However, just as an FYI, since you decided that fumbles would somehow prove a point, let's visit the fumble issue.

Bledsoe has fumbled 29 times in the past 3 seasons and lost 14. He lost 8 of 17 fumbles last year. Bledsoe's been sacked 102 times in that same period. Carson Palmer, arguably one of the best 3 quarterbacks in the league right now, has lost 8 of 15, but he's only been sacked 63 times in that period. Brady has lost 11 of 16 fumbles during that time, despite only being sacked 61 times. Manning is the only one of the three big guns that has been better at this than Bledsoe, losing only 3 of 10 fumbles while being sacked 37 times.

In other words, Bledsoe's been sacked about twice as often and has fumbled about twice as often as two of the three best quarterbacks in the game (wow, a correlation!). So, your "fumble issue" is actually non-existent. In fact, Bledsoe's fumbles have resulted in turnovers less often on a percentage basis than those of Palmer and Brady.

Hmm.... Maybe you should start a "Brady sucks!" thread.... After all, that punk can't hold onto the football under pressure, right?

Deus Irae said:
Why would I bother?

As recently as last season, Bledsoe was 8th in the NFL in attempts, completions, passing yards and passing touchdowns, and completed 60% of his passes. He helped improve the team from 6-10 to 9-7. Yet, somehow, you claim that's mediocrity.

If 23-25 isn't the definition of mediocrity - what is? 9-7 and out of the playoffs in a weak conference? Probably not even mediocrity.

WEEI couldn't get their feed to the PC up and running but they are reporting that Tuna did announce that Tony Romo will be his starter on Sunday in Carolina. Don't know if he was asked because they were just getting the info relayed but they don't believe commented further on whether that meant he was the starter for the remainder of the season. Nice for Romo, and leaves Drew hanging. The don't call it the Big D (as in Drama) for nothing.

Edited to say they just played a snipet they got. He was asked about positions he has described in the past as being held hostage by and if he felt QB had been that here. He said it's a matter of choices and options, it's certainly an important position in the league but you just can't dial them up - even when you think you do there is no guarantee as some of the highly rated recent QB additions to other teams have proved. So he tap danced around that one. Then they asked him about Tony's personality creating support in the locker room - said he didn't consult them but Tony does exude personal confidence and although that has to be tempered in game situations he believes most of the guys in the locker room know Romo since he's been around for 4 years and he assumes they have made some judgements based on that. Sounds kinda detatched. Definitely not in one of his fiesty lookin for a fight as cover moods. More the contemplative Tuna.

Last edited:

dhamz said:
If 23-25 isn't the definition of mediocrity - what is? 9-7 and out of the playoffs in a weak conference? Probably not even mediocrity.

You have to have context. With Bledsoe, the team was 23-25. Without him, they were 8-24. The question wasn't whether team was mediocre: without Bledsoe it was horrible.

Deus Irae said:
Why would I bother?

It's clear that you've got a personal agenda and don't care about the reality. So, further discussion about the issue is just a waste of time. However, just as an FYI, since you decided that fumbles would somehow prove a point, let's visit the fumble issue.

Bledsoe has fumbled 29 times in the past 3 seasons and lost 14. He lost 8 of 17 fumbles last year. Bledsoe's been sacked 102 times in that same period. Carson Palmer, arguably one of the best 3 quarterbacks in the league right now, has lost 8 of 15, but he's only been sacked 63 times in that period. Brady has lost 11 of 16 fumbles during that time, despite only being sacked 61 times. Manning is the only one of the three big guns that has been better at this than Bledsoe, losing only 3 of 10 fumbles while being sacked 37 times.

In other words, Bledsoe's been sacked about twice as often and has fumbled about twice as often as two of the three best quarterbacks in the game (wow, a correlation!). So, your "fumble issue" is actually non-existent. In fact, Bledsoe's fumbles have resulted in turnovers less often on a percentage basis than those of Palmer and Brady.

Hmm.... Maybe you should start a "Brady sucks!" thread.... After all, that punk can't hold onto the football under pressure, right?

this is exactly why I called you a diehard Bledsoe apologist

I like Drew Bledsoe--was psyched when they drafted him as I had just watched the Copper Bowl at Sea-Tac that winter before the draft--and still feel that he is a starting-caliber NFL QB

he just happens to not be any better than mediocre--all of his stats and performance supports this, and you have nothing to contradict it except a lack of objectivity

he is what he is

and what he isn't--is Carson Palmer or Tom Brady

i do not know the reason or probably i know the reason (he was with us !) but i still have some appreciation and respect for Drew and i was not happy to see him benched also if he throw a terrible pick...

Romo imho is not better then him...and he showed it perfectly...

i'm divided...
a part of me would like to see Drew retire and one part would like to see him still a capable qb

probably he is done probably not yet

personally i wish Drew the best (i still have 2 # 11 t-shirts too)

Last edited:

Flying Fungi said:
this is exactly why I called you a diehard Bledsoe apologist

I like Drew Bledsoe--was psyched when they drafted him as I had just watched the Copper Bowl at Sea-Tac that winter before the draft--and still feel that he is a starting-caliber NFL QB

he just happens to not be any better than mediocre--all of his stats and performance supports this, and you have nothing to contradict it except a lack of objectivity

he is what he is

and what he isn't--is Carson Palmer or Tom Brady

Ok, I'm a diehard apologist because I don't allow you to misrepresent the facts? So, if I keep letting you lie your ass off or distort the truth, that'll take me off the apologist bandwagon?

You pulled fumbles up as some proof of his sucking lately, not being mediocre as you're now claiming. All I did was show that you were wrong by pointing out that he has been doing it at about the same rate as the best quarterbacks in the league, rather than it being some harbinger of terrible play. To try to turn that around on me is ridiculous but, sadly, expected.

Last edited:
Yes,I think he isn't well,He has got very mistakes in his games.I could watch much games of him.This is my opinion

Last edited:

Deus Irae said:
Ok, I'm a diehard apologist because I don't allow you to misrepresent the facts? So, if I keep letting you lie your ass off or distort the truth, that'll take me off the apologist bandwagon?

You pulled fumbles up as some proof of his sucking lately. All I did was show that you were wrong by pointing out that he has been doing it at about the same rate as the best quarterbacks in the league, rather than it being some harbinger of terrible play. To try to turn that around on me is ridiculous but, sadly, expected.

good grief--so now my posts are predictable to you? 'sadly expected'?

'lying my ass off'?

you've got bigger problems than Drew Bledsoe buddy...

...my example of fumbles may not hold as much water as I had originally intended, but you can't tell me that a QB with a career rating of 77 (oh--that's right--ratings are arbitrary and capricious and have ZERO bearing) that has been benched by 3 teams in the span of 5 years...with 251/206 career TD/INT...with 57% career completion percentage...

Bledsoe is mediocre

who are you really...? Maura Bledsoe?

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
WEEI couldn't get their feed to the PC up and running but they are reporting that Tuna did announce that Tony Romo will be his starter on Sunday in Carolina. Don't know if he was asked because they were just getting the info relayed but they don't believe commented further on whether that meant he was the starter for the remainder of the season. Nice for Romo, and leaves Drew hanging. The don't call it the Big D (as in Drama) for nothing.

Edited to say they just played a snipet they got. He was asked about positions he has described in the past as being held hostage by and if he felt QB had been that here. He said it's a matter of choices and options, it's certainly an important position in the league but you just can't dial them up - even when you think you do there is no guarantee as some of the highly rated recent QB additions to other teams have proved. So he tap danced around that one. Then they asked him about Tony's personality creating support in the locker room - said he didn't consult them but Tony does exude personal confidence and although that has to be tempered in game situations he believes most of the guys in the locker room know Romo since he's been around for 4 years and he assumes they have made some judgements based on that. Sounds kinda detatched. Definitely not in one of his fiesty lookin for a fight as cover moods. More the contemplative Tuna.

To add to this, the NFL Network announced Bledsoe himself will speak a press conference sometime this afternoon.

I'm intrigued by this drama in Big D. I started out as a huge Bledsoe fan, as did most others here, and I really have fond memories of meeting him and drawing a portrait of him for his mom back in his second year here. He was very nice to me. However, I also believe his unwillingness to be a mentor or backup or anything other than starter shows a bit of an entitlement complex, especially in the face of what has become of his once promising career. I understand athletes are proud and all that and I sure don't expect him to roll over and give up his job, but he's basically been benched for younger prospects three times now. It's probably over (except if he was willing to be a backup). I do NOT think what Parcells did smack in the middle of MNF was great. He should have waited until after the game to make the decision, but I guess Bledsoe has been on a shorter leash there for awhile. It's not hard to see why, I guess, when he makes the same boneheaded plays over and over and over again. But what happened Monday was just so humiliating for him.

Flying Fungi said:
good grief--so now my posts are predictable to you? 'sadly expected'?

'lying my ass off'?

you've got bigger problems than Drew Bledsoe buddy...

...my example of fumbles may not hold as much water as I had originally intended, but you can't tell me that a QB with a career rating of 77 (oh--that's right--ratings are arbitrary and capricious and have ZERO bearing) that has been benched by 3 teams in the span of 5 years...with 251/206 career TD/INT...with 57% career completion percentage...

Bledsoe is mediocre

who are you really...? Maura Bledsoe?

I didn't argue that he hasn't been mediocre in his last few years, you did. I said that your characterization of him as mediocre over that time, after I'd shown you the difference in team performances with and without him, was fair. You then "fleshed out your comments" and said that he's sucked the last few years. Again, stop trying to turn this around on me. You attacked his play in Buffalo and Dallas, and you've had to pull back on that. You've attacked his fumbling and, now after attacking me about it, you've had to pull back off of that. Rather than continue attacking me, try realizing that, while he hasn't been a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback at the level he was in his younger days, he hasn't been terrible either. And, he was a far better than "mediocre" quarterback for most of his years in New England.

Their running game sucks and their line is a sieve. Not sure what else anyone could expect. He still has that uncanny knack for throwing the devastating pick. He's essentially the same now as he was as a young buck. A mistake-prone, stationary QB with a cannon-arm that holds onto the ball waaaaay too long..

Bledsoe is contrasting this to his benching in New England in his press conference. Said the big difference is that he felt he was treated dishonestly here.

Deus Irae said:
I didn't argue that he hasn't been mediocre in his last few years, you did. I said that your characterization of him as mediocre over that time, after I'd shown you the difference in team performances with and without him, was fair. You then "fleshed out your comments" and said that he's sucked the last few years. Again, stop trying to turn this around on me. You attacked his play in Buffalo and Dallas, and you've had to pull back on that. You've attacked his fumbling and, now after attacking me about it, you've had to pull back off of that. Rather than continue attacking me, try realizing that, while he hasn't been a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback at the level he was in his younger days, he hasn't been terrible either. And, he was a far better than "mediocre" quarterback for most of his years in New England.

last post on this dude

I am not attacking you other than characterizing you as a Bledsoe apologist--which--as you continue to make excuses for Drew, basically confirms my point.

I am not 'pulling back' from anything. I admit to not having qualified the fumbling assessment as thoroughly as I could have--not pulling back--just clarifying.

I am not pulling back on his play in Dallas and Buffalo--he has been poor enough to be benched for Losman and Romo. Further--take a look at Buffalo the seasons before 2001. Under Flutie, that same team was doing pretty damned good--so Bledsoe can be compared to Flutie and better than Alex Van Pelt/Rob Johnson/Shane Matthews, but not better than JP Losman?

Fleshed out my comments? Turned this around on you? Is this NEM, Jr I'm dealing with?

Nevermind--don't answer that--all set here--last word goes to you...oh no...wait for it...

Bledsoe is a stiff

there

your turn

Bella*chick said:
Bledsoe is contrasting this to his benching in New England in his press conference. Said the big difference is that he felt he was treated dishonestly here.

Treated dishonestly here? Read "Patriot Reign", Drew. BB honestly thought Tom was better than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes