PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Drew done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriotic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like its Cowboy-out in Dallas. Will any team want him as a starter? Is he willing to be a backup? How did you like his second half body language?

Patriotic said:
Looks like its Cowboy-out in Dallas. Will any team want him as a starter? Is he willing to be a backup? How did you like his second half body language?

How would your body language be if you'd just been physically beaten up and then had your coach make a public vote of no confidence in you? Pretty upset? Me too.

There are teams out there that would be enhanced by his arrival. Miami for one - he's a better option than Joey Interception or Daunte Done. And a better option for the Raiders than Andrew Walter or Aaron Brooks. He could probably start in Seattle the next three weeks; it'd be a toss-up in Washington; Cleveland?

But these teams all pretty much have one thing in common; he'd spend as much time on his ass as he does in Dallas.

Patriotic said:

Drew is toast, but some team will give him a shot...like Miami, Detroit, Oakland, Baltimore...

I don't know about Drew but I'm pretty certain Parcells is all done in Dallas.
I'm sure he was done when Jones brought TO in the fold.

NEM said:
You are right on target.

While he stillmakes some of those dumb mistakes, now and then, he still throws a great ball, and has good knowledge of field placement and where his receivers are.

However, last night, there were far toomany instances of defensive linemen and linebackers having a field day with him because no one onthe Dallas line touched them..and they were given free runs at Bledsoe.

Hell, on that safety,as the announcers even said, Michael Vick would have been on the ground because the tackler was in so fast. Same on some of the other sacks, and pressures.

He still has a lot in the tank...but with a line like that, no one can survive.

There was at least one sack that came because Drew just couldn't decide where to throw the ball. He must have had at least 7 seconds back there which is an eternity for a QB.
He is still a bad decision maker and I'm not convinced he knows how to recognize D formations and adjust his protection accordingly.

God, I still think back to that September day vs. the Jets when I sat in Foxboro Stadium and watched Mo Lewis drill Drew.

He came out for a series, I think, then went back in, and then came out again.

Brady came in to replace him.

I turn to the guy next to me and said, "Who the hell is this Brady? Our season is phukked without Drew!"

And he says, "No. Keep an eye on this kid. He's a good one."

And I looked at him like he was whacked!

Well, the rest, as they say, is history!

One really nice full page farewell and three Super Bowl rings later, Drew is getting benched and Brady is among the elite QBs in the NFL.

How far our ex-Golden Boy Drew has fallen!

Drew, you have a ton of money and nice ranch in Montana...just retire and end this pain!

ADPF

PS:

Bledsoe should have known better than to reunite with Parcells, that back-stabbing, phat-arse, slobbering, Jersey piece of excrement! It was just a matter of time before the Tuna screwed him over.

Last edited:
My only comment here is "I love having Tom Brady as our Quarterback". That is all.

Please, let Drew go to Miami. Please.
I agree that the Tuna is done, Done, DONE. Ever since he hasn't had BB as DC, he's done squat. Overbearing owner and a headcase WR. Watching TO laugh like the braying jackass he is after droping the wide open short critical 4th down pass, how could ANYONE want him as a Patriot?

ironwasp said:
How would your body language be if you'd just been physically beaten up and then had your coach make a public vote of no confidence in you? Pretty upset? Me too.

There are teams out there that would be enhanced by his arrival. Miami for one - he's a better option than Joey Interception or Daunte Done. And a better option for the Raiders than Andrew Walter or Aaron Brooks. He could probably start in Seattle the next three weeks; it'd be a toss-up in Washington; Cleveland?

But these teams all pretty much have one thing in common; he'd spend as much time on his ass as he does in Dallas.
Drew in Miami? I think you just gave me wood.

:p

Parcells? Done?

363839 said:
you're right, jerryjones would have the hubris to fire parcells.
IMHO parcells was all done the day he signed the contract. he'd didn't care in ze first place, and jerryjones is irrepressible. seems that it's his compulsion to coach in the worst of nfl conditions.
hes' never cared about leaving or being fired, jerryjones has only to say the magic words and he's outta there. and ol' jerry will look like the fool. crazy enough to fire Bill Parcells, for chrissakes.
truth be told, give the old boy the time and he will have excellent football teams. how much time? enough time.
drew is a good QB. he'll be around 5 more years if he wants. doing the exact same stuff. move the team to the 10, great passes. then comes the INT.

363839 said:
Drew will probably play out the string at Dallas this year, might start again, might not, but Dallas and Parcells have now shot their wad at QB. They have a completely deflated Bledsoe and a rookie that showed no discretion whatsoever where he threw the ball. The long awaited switch was a dud. The guy with the sign: "Dallas: still America's team", to hell with him and the rest of them down there. Years of obnoxiousness (non-word) from there, now let them stew in it.

It's pretty obvious what Drew's problem is & always has been. ilduce06410 just eluded to it. The closer he gets to the goalline the more inept he becomes. He's never going to have the touch on his throws that a QB needs in the redzone. Drew is great for the long ball, but when restricted in space he his prone to make mistakes.

I can still remember how excited I was when Bledsoe was in his first few years. My buddy and I would talk all the time about how all he needed to do was correct a few young mistakes and he was a sure HOFer (I was too green at the time to know what those mistakes where, but it was still clear that they existed). I still believe that had Drew worked on his footwork, pocket pressence, willingness to check down to someone not named Ben Coates, and willingness to take what the D was giving he would be a shoo-in and would possibly still be NE's QB.

However, he either never wanted it or he just wasn't good enough to get it, because he is the same player that he was then, just with declining natural ability.

And I wish for once that people would stop the "he just needs a good OL, WR, TE and running game" talk. What QB wouldn't be all that good in those circumstances? The guy is who he is. Nothing more, and steadily becoming less.

If I were Drew I would walk right up to Parcells and let him know how much of a dirtbag I think he is. I've never seen anyone set up to fail worse than Drew in Dallas. And you'r gonna let TO make the personel decisions now? Let me the f*** out!
Everyone knows Drew needs a line to block and recievers that run their routes
right and get off the line quick. He can still sling the ball around better than most, he just needs confidence. It doesn't help when Parcels keeps telling him "don't turn the ball over", then he tells Romo, go sling it around and win us the game. Whatever dirtbag. Drew could just have easily have thrown those 2 TDs and 3 INTs if he was allowed to let loose. but if he had, everyone would have been all over him, but Romo does it and he's a hero. I feel bad for Drew. He hasn't been put into a situation to win since the mid
90s.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Please, let Drew go to Miami. Please.
I agree that the Tuna is done, Done, DONE. Ever since he hasn't had BB as DC, he's done squat. Overbearing owner and a headcase WR. Watching TO laugh like the braying jackass he is after droping the wide open short critical 4th down pass, how could ANYONE want him as a Patriot?

Sure. Thats a good point about BB and BP but I still think that Parcells is a good coach even without Belichick.
Take a look at BBs record when Drew was starting for the Pats. Not too good.
When Parcells leaves Dallas there will be plenty of teams vying for his services. Count on it.
Besides his press conferences always fun to watch.

Drew was done when he left New England. Had a rennaisance year with Buffalo, but its all over for Bledsoe.

Jacky Roberts said:
Drew was done when he left New England. Had a rennaisance year with Buffalo, but its all over for Bledsoe.
All over or not, there are a third of teams out there playing behind QBs for whom it never started and it never will.

Jacky Roberts said:

If you check back, you will find that it was a rennaisance 8 games. He wasn't very good at all in the second half of that year.

363839 said:

Tuna committed coaching suicide by putting the team's fortunes in Bledsoe's hands without assembling an all-star offensive line to protect him. I feel sorry for Drew, but I also think Drew is stubborn and hasn't done himself any favors over the years in failing to elevate his game. I just don't think he has worked hard enough to improve and still believes that all he needs is his arm. My hunch is that Drew will retire before accepting a backup role elsewhere.

Drew was done the day Mo flattented him. He's really not much of an option or upgrade over Culpepper or Harrington et al. He was better once upon a time (as was Culpepper) but that ship has sailed. He still has his occasional moments, even had stretches in Buffalo before Mularkey had to start beating him over the head with a stopwatch, which is why he was still starting anywhere, but those have become fewer and farther between. He has no upside anymore. He has said he will not be a backup or mentor either, though I can't imagine wanting him as a mentor...Tom wasn't easily swayed. On that last drive in XXXVI Charlie told him lets go score but be careful with the ball. Drew chimed in with just go sling it.

It will be interesting to see what transpires over the next few weeks. Romo is as mistake prone as the guy he's replacing for being mistake prone. But given his circumstances that is to be expected. Maybe with some time and experience he can be taught to make better decisions. What really seemed to fry the Tuna was when Drew improvised that goaline INT. He said the play was designed to go to the opposite side of the field to TO. So it was the double whammy bad throw and bad decision. They were about to get back in the game with a TD to tie or a FG to get within 4 and instead on the ensuing drive NY scored a TD. The classic killer 14 point swing.

It was really theatre of the absurd with Romo throwing that INT on his first play from scrimmage to open the second half. But then he did some good things, as Tuna mentioned, and the team seemed to be trying to rally behind him. Drew has simply sucked the life out of them, as he does over time. He looked positively crushed and ten years younger on the sidelines for most of the second half. Even I felt bad for him. But then after the third Romo INT got taken to the house I saw that defiant jaw tighten. Much like when BB named his starter for XXXVI. If this week and the remainder of this season doesn't drive Tuna into permanent retirement, nothing will.

Then of course there is the whole TO factor to be considered. Is it better to have him glaring at Drew or a rookie? He was on his bestest team player behavior in his post game PC - he'll just play hard (and slip and drop critical short throws) for whomever the coaches decide to play at QB.

And last but not least is the smarmy owner always lurking on the sidelines who wants to keep his fans happy. He had to be talked into Drew just like Tuna had to be talked into TO. I never believed reuniting Drew with the guy who drafted him was a good idea. Tuna seemed to think a mature Drew could somehow be rewired, although that was likely hope born of desperation with Romo and Henson as his Jerry Jones hand picked alternative options. Tuna advised Sean Payton to sign Drew Brees. I wonder if he even attempted to convince Jerry to. They haven't had a viable QB in Dallas since Aikman retired. And at the end of the day if you don't have one nothing else you have really matters. Imagine what Dallas could do in the overhyped NFCE if they had Brees to counter the puker in Philly, the big name bust in NY and the ancient JAG in DC.

EDIT to add it was probably poignant for some to see Drew score on the bootleg of all things. Only he didn't. Coughlin should have challenged it if he hadn't already wasted his first challenge trying to salvage another Eli debaucle. Some said it would be a waste of a challenge leaving Dallas on the goal line with 3 shots at the end zone. But as he later proved the goal line is not a given with Drew behind center. In fact he is more likely to hook up on a 50 yard bomb than not make that mindnumbing mistake in the red zone. The shorter the field and the more significant the points the more exposed Drew becomes as a horrendous game manager.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye