PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Dominique Rodger-Cromartie Worth the #7 Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deion Sanders was an inch shorter than DRC and he weighed 14 lbs more than him during his playing days. The general rule is, the taller you are the more you need to weigh. At 6'2, DRC should be at least 200 lbs while a 5'10 corner can be 190lbs with the same percentage of muscle.

Really,

Well how do you explain a tall corner like Rashean Mathis playing at 6'1" and 190. I think he's more than holding his own.

I know DRC has to bulk up, I'm not saying he shouldn't but I can see his optimal playing weight in the 192-195 window. Again I just can't see him getting as big as Antonio.

Really,

Well how do you explain a tall corner like Rashean Mathis playing at 6'1" and 190. I think he's more than holding his own.

I know DRC has to bulk up, I'm not saying he shouldn't but I can see his optimal playing weight in the 192-195 window. Again I just can't see him getting as big as Antonio.

He can get as big as Antonio if he wants to. The level of care that goes into developing players bodies in the NFL is much better than in college. Not to mention that in college, most players don't watch what they eat as much because they're not forced to stick to a certain diet.

In the NFL though, everything the players eat during the regular season is watched and they're weighed weekly to make sure they're sticking to their regiment. Also, the equipment is much better in NFL locker rooms than in college weight rooms so he'll have all the necessary tools he needs to bulk up. Can he be successful if he stays around his current weight?

Yes he can, but he'd be even better with more muscle because he'd be able to tackle better and box out the bigger receivers like Terrell Owens and Vincent Jackson.

Here's the million dollar question: If his name was Dominique Jones, would you (and others) still recommend we take him in the first round? Even better, what if his name were Dominique Rodgers-Starks.

I think we're giving DRC a little too much credit for coming from the same gene pool. See Canseco, Jose and Ozzie. Or Crumpler, Carlester and Alge.

If his name was Oscar the Grouch, I would consider this kid based on athletic ability, measureables, and the way he dominated other college stars at the senior bowl. I think you're making way too much out of the name thing. The concern about small school program has more merit than the name thing. I'd rather trade down a few draft slots before I rolled the dice though. Any pick from 10-14 would be an acceptable place to draft a top rated corner imo.

Really,

Ditto. I think DRC only needs to gain about 10 more lbs of muscle to be effective.
Deion Sander's playing weight was listed at 198. But that must have been his weight dripping wet, cos he did not look that heavy when he played imo.

Last edited:
The concern about small school program has more merit than the name thing. I'd rather trade down a few draft slots before I rolled the dice though. Any pick from 10-14 would be an acceptable place to draft a top rated corner imo.

I absolutely agree, the level of competition is a big concern, particularly because he apparently didn't dominate. In my view, if a D-2 guy is good enough to be considered with a top 15 pick in the NFL draft, he's good enough to own his competition week in and week out.

I'm only saying that it's because he's Cromartie's cousin we're even having this conversation. If his name were Mike Smith, we'd all be saying "Phenomenal athlete, but that doesn't mean he'll be a good football player." Instead, there's a group saying "Phenomenal athlete, and he's Cromartie's cousin, and in a couple of years he'll be as good as Cromartie or Deion Sanders."

You could make the same argument for Eli Manning, and Chris Long, although both of those players Dominated Major Conference competition.

Mel Kiper's latest mock has us taking Rodger-Cromartie with the 7th pick and comments that if the Pats don't take him @ 7, the Saints could at 10.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3275203

There's the link to Kiper and here's how he has the first 7 picks shaking out:

1 Miami Dolphins Chris Long, DE Virginia
2 St. Louis Rams Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU
3 Atlanta Falcons Matt Ryan, QB Boston College
4 Oakland Raiders *Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
5 Kansas City Chiefs Jake Long, OT Michigan
6 New York Jets *Vernon Gholston, DE Ohio St.
7 New England Patriots (from SF) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB Tennessee St.

I've never used the cousin argument as a reason to draft DRC. That really doesn't factor into my judgment either for or against.

As for Eli Manning... what can I say, I thought he was overrated coming in, but somewhere between game 17 of 2007 and the superbowl, something clicked and he did just enough to win. It still appears that Eli is more of a game manager type, than a stud supertalented QB, but it got the Giants a SB win so the pick is completely justified now.

The way I look at it is that the Pats can move down and still get a gifted CB or pass rusher. To me DRC is on my list because of that amazing athletic potential and size. And he did look pretty good compared to other corners from what clips I managed to see of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFAc3Puo68k

He shows range, athleticism, covering ability, hands, and leaping ability. All are qualities you want in a corner. And it helps that he's not a smurf. I never want to see Buress vs Hobbs matchup again.

I absolutely agree, the level of competition is a big concern, particularly because he apparently didn't dominate. In my view, if a D-2 guy is good enough to be considered with a top 15 pick in the NFL draft, he's good enough to own his competition week in and week out.

You could make the same argument for Eli Manning, and Chris Long, although both of those players Dominated Major Conference competition.

I've never used the cousin argument as a reason to draft DRC. That really doesn't factor into my judgment either for or against.

As for Eli Manning... what can I say, I thought he was overrated coming in, but somewhere between game 17 of 2007 and the superbowl, something clicked and he did just enough to win. It still appears that Eli is more of a game manager type, than a stud supertalented QB, but it got the Giants a SB win so the pick is completely justified now.

The way I look at it is that the Pats can move down and still get a gifted CB or pass rusher. To me DRC is on my list because of that amazing athletic potential and size. And he did look pretty good compared to other corners from what clips I managed to see of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFAc3Puo68k

He shows range, athleticism, covering ability, hands, and leaping ability. All are qualities you want in a corner. And it helps that he's not a smurf. I never want to see Buress vs Hobbs matchup again.

Can I introduce you to Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli prior to April 26th ? Your eyes and my eyes are looking and seeing the exact same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, he looks so slight and skinny, though.

Man, he looks so slight and skinny, though.

No question, I'm willing to bet Gisele has a bigger wasteline than DRC, but if you watch his clip, he has no issues getting physical at the point of contact.

Problem with Cromartie is he may need a year to develop both on the field and with his body. I don't see Belichick using the #7 pick on a guy that can't play right now.

However ... whoever picks Cromartie will be very happy for a long time. Not great value but potential to be a great player is IMO.

Problem with Cromartie is he may need a year to develop both on the field and with his body. I don't see Belichick using the #7 pick on a guy that can't play right now.

However ... whoever picks Cromartie will be very happy for a long time. Not great value but potential to be a great player is IMO.

A year to develop? Why? I don't understand. How does a Darelle Revis miss an entire training camp, start from the opening snap in September and have a solid season? What would make you think Cromartie couldn't do the same thing (with a full training camp)?

Is Cromartie worth the number 7? Absolutely.

Can he start from day 1? Absolutely.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3275203

There's the link to Kiper and here's how he has the first 7 picks shaking out:

1 Miami Dolphins Chris Long, DE Virginia
2 St. Louis Rams Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU
3 Atlanta Falcons Matt Ryan, QB Boston College
4 Oakland Raiders *Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
5 Kansas City Chiefs Jake Long, OT Michigan
6 New York Jets *Vernon Gholston, DE Ohio St.
7 New England Patriots (from SF) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB Tennessee St.

Oh yes! :rocker:

We'll have the Freak on offense and now the Freak on defense. Going to be absolutely disgusting to watch.

I'm with DryHeat with the name situation. I really do think that he's getting more attention because he has Cromartie attached to his last name. However, I do think that with his incredible athletic ability paired with BB and Capers coaching...he could be a huge success. I think it will take him some time though for him to become that star...just what lightningbolt said about A. Cromartie. The Chargers, like the Pats, are draft masterminds. If BB likes this kid enough to take him with the #7 pick or in a trade down, I'm going to assume there is massive potential. Personally, I'm not sure I would risk the #7 pick for him. If Gholston is not available at 7, then I'd hope we trade down and hope DRC is still there. If not, Cason is my man. He would also make a star corner in the BB system.

Here's what we should do, I know this is wishful thinking but so was last year's offseason too!

Sign Spikes now
Sign Seward(give up 5th round pick)
Trade Seymour to Miami for Jason Taylor
Sign Colvin(not a must and very unlikely)

Draft D. Rogers Cromartie at no. 7
Trade our 2nd and 4th round picks to SD for Antonio Cromartie
Sign Ty Law for ten bucks

What will Peyton Manning's completion percentage be then against us? Probably like 35%!

Here's what we should do, I know this is wishful thinking but so was last year's offseason too!

Sign Spikes now
Sign Seward(give up 5th round pick)
Trade Seymour to Miami for Jason Taylor
Sign Colvin(not a must and very unlikely)

Draft D. Rogers Cromartie at no. 7
Trade our 2nd and 4th round picks to SD for Antonio Cromartie
Sign Ty Law for ten bucks

What will Peyton Manning's completion percentage be then against us? Probably like 35%!

Trading Seymour for Jason Taylor is wishful thinking? Parcells would do that deal in a heartbeat....although if SD would let Cromartie go for a 2nd and 4th, it would be more than worth it. I have a better chance of pissing Texas crude.

Why not just offer the #7 pick to San Diego for Cromartie? Belichick would. Smith would not.

Any you're overpaying for Ty Law.

Is Rodgers-Cromartie two rounds better than Antwaun Molden?

Molden's Stats:
Ht: 6-1
Wt: 198
40 yd: 4.39
20 yd:2.55
10 yd: 1.5
Bench: 23 reps of 225
Vert: 37 1/2
Broad: 10'9"
20 yard shuttle: 4.14
3 cone: 6.85

Rodgers-Cromartie:
Ht: 6-2
Wt:184
40 yd: 4.33
20 yd: 2.51
10 yd: 1.49
Bench: 17 reps of 225
Vert: 38 1/2
Broad: 10'11"
20 yard shuttle: 4.17
3 cone: 6.74

They played in the same conference as well (Ohio Valley). Their numbers are ridiculously similar (where Molden trails ever so slightly in almost all drills) except Molden is bigger (by 14 pounds despite giving up an inch to Dominique) and stronger (23 to 17). One write up says he was hardly thrown on in '07 but still managed 9 passes defensed and two picks (compared to 11 and 2 for RoCro). I'm seeing almost identical players except one is named Cromartie; why does one deserve to be considered top ten pick overall and the other projects third or fourth round?

Last edited:
With Moss in the fold and veteran DB help added, I fully suspect that a trade for either LB DJ Williams or CB Lito Shepherd will be hammered out shortly.

Whether or not DRC, or any other CB, for that matter, is worthy of #7 will likely be a problem for another team. They won't likely gamble top 10 money.

With that said, and, again, with starting WR stability, I expect the Patriots pick in the latter half of round one will most likely be Boston College powerful RT Gosder Cherilus. This gives them immediate protection for Tom Brady.

Hey is the THE Ray Faustina from several years ago ? If it is, welcome back Ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back