PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Defense #1 concern for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We all know we need LB's and secondary help. Is this a Must with the #1 pick?
While RB/WR's are the glamor positions besides QB ..I see these positions as the ones we should upgrade the most.
thoughts...........

While RB/WR's are the glamor positions besides QB ..I see these positions as the ones we should upgrade the most.
thoughts...........

We need to go either lb, db imo. If Dorsey is available I think you make that pick. Dorsey is a talent you cannot pass up.

Considering the track record of the pats and there db's I think the second rounder and the two thirds could yield some nice db's.

We all know they will trade down.

thoughts...........

Yes. Must be D. We're painfully thin, especially down the middle. I wish there were a legit SS in the class. Wilson is a FA this year, too, so we could lose both him and Samuel.

What do people think of Barret and DeCloud as big SS types in the late second, early third?

If we picked Kenny Phillips in the first, would he be Rodney's replacement? Phillips/Merriweather??

I think the back 8 needs to be addressed in this draft. If we lose Samuel, Gay and Wilson, we are going to need bodies back there.

Jake Ignuware CB for Wisconcin has really come on this season and was instrumental in shutting down Hardy of Indiana and Manningham of Michigan.

Dwight Lowery of San Diego State has the best ball skills in the draft.

Cason of Arizona was the preseason favorite as the first CB picked.

Jenkins of OSU has benefitted from the great front seven play of the Ohio State defense.

Jenkins and Williams of South Florida have looked really good at times this season and scary at other times.

Talib of Kansas is a huge favorite of ESPN announcers, but I have not seen enough to be sold on the guy.

King of Penn State has fallen off a cliff in recent weeks. IS he playing hurt?

There are some talented CB's out there the problem is that not many if any can be ready to go next season.

I think the back 8 needs to be addressed in this draft. If we lose Samuel, Gay and Wilson, we are going to need bodies back there.

Jake Ignuware CB for Wisconcin has really come on this season and was instrumental in shutting down Hardy of Indiana and Manningham of Michigan.

Dwight Lowery of San Diego State has the best ball skills in the draft.

Cason of Arizona was the preseason favorite as the first CB picked.

Jenkins of OSU has benefitted from the great front seven play of the Ohio State defense.

Jenkins and Williams of South Florida have looked really good at times this season and scary at other times.

Talib of Kansas is a huge favorite of ESPN announcers, but I have not seen enough to be sold on the guy.

King of Penn State has fallen off a cliff in recent weeks. IS he playing hurt?

There are some talented CB's out there the problem is that not many if any can be ready to go next season.

Don't forget the LSU pair of CBs. Jackson looks like the better bet to play right away, but I think Zenon could be special with a year or two in the gym and with NFL coaching.

If we picked Kenny Phillips in the first, would he be Rodney's replacement? Phillips/Merriweather??

I watched the Miami Virginia game, specifically to scout Kenny Phillips, and came away unimpressed. Granted, it was a humiliating 48-0 blowout at home, but what I never saw was Kenny throwing his body around, or gang tackling. He seemed content to let the LBs clean up against the run, and that's not going to cut it with BB. I dont know if it was scheme, or coaching, or what, but he was always standing around the pile after the play was over. Nothing he did really caught my attention as anything exceptional. Certainly, he wasnt an impact on the game and, frankly, I didn't understand what made him a top-10 prospect. As much as anything, it made me question the quality of the draft class if this guy is at the top of it.

Yes Dryheat, I forgot about those 2 although I think both are a bit too slow for to start in the NFL. (4.6 range I'm guessing.)

Could samuel be compesated for a draft pick and maybe stock up and shop for LB, or perhaps trade for a equal value CB like samuel?

Could samuel be compesated for a draft pick and maybe stock up and shop for LB, or perhaps trade for a equal value CB like samuel?
We can't trade Samuel without Franchising him which, supposedly, we've agreed not to do. We would probably get a #4 comp pick for him but not until the 2009 draft and that's only if we don't sign an equivalent UFA ourselves.

perhaps trade for a equal value CB like samuel?

Part 1) Who is your equal value CB?
Part 2) Why would any team trade a top CB (who is under contract) for a comparable player who is a free agent?

About defense being #1 concern, yes I think clearly the back 7 will be a priority in the 08 off-season. Some will be by free agency, some will be by the draft.

Glancing at the CBs, I am convinced the Patriots like smaller, quicker players not big physical corners (Samuel, Hobbs, Poole, Starks, Gay). There appears to be a lot of value in rounds 2-4. I find it almost impossible to scout CBs while watching tv, they are seldom in the picture and you only see their highlights or low lights.

About the only guys I have seen that look good are the two CBs from South Florida, both seemed very athletic. Jenkins from OSU looked good but also plays behind a very good front seven. The two CBs from LSU seem to be quite slow, they also benefit from an excellent pass rush. I do like their Safety Steltz and their RB\FB Hester.

Others corners to watch from NFLDraftScout.com
  • Tribble, DeJuan Boston College 1 5-09 190 4.49
  • Jenkins, Mike South Florida 1 6-0 200 4.49
  • Porter, Tracy Indiana 2 5-11 185 4.38
  • Hefney, Jonathan Tennessee 2-3 5-09 185 4.47
  • Williams, Trae South Florida 3 5-10 193 4.40
  • Wheatley, Terrence Colorado 3 5-09 178 4.44
  • McKelvin, Leodis Troy 3-4 5-11 188 4.44
  • Williams, Jack Kent State 3-4 5-09 180 4.47
  • Fontenot, Wilrey Arizona 3-4 5-09 176 4.49
  • Walker, Marcus Oklahoma 4-5 5-11 198 4.45
  • Godfrey, Charles Iowa 5 6-0 208 4.38 <-- is this the team Kirk Frentz coaches?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back