PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Crable healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is Crable practicing? It seems that we have room on the roster for a couple of defensive players if we need (Faulk and the 10th OL). I think that the defense needs these roster spots more than the offense.

If not Crable, then I think that we should consider signing Woods. IMHO, Woods is good enough to play in run situations as he did last year, even if only in a limited role.

We also help at RB, but that is because we could use an upgrade over Green-Ellis or Woodhead.

Is Crable practicing? It seems that we have room on the roster for a couple of defensive players if we need (Faulk and the 10th OL). I think that the defense needs these roster spots more than the offense.

If not Crable, then I think that we should consider signing Woods. IMHO, Woods is good enough to play in run situations as he did last year, even if only in a limited role.

We also help at RB, but that is because we could use an upgrade over Green-Ellis or Woodhead.

I'd like to see Woodhead play before passing judgment on him.

You have had an obsession with cutting Green-Ellis since he was picked up as a free agent.

He's not going anywhere anytime soon

It is not posters who need to pass judgement on whether someone is an upgrade over Woodhead. Belichick will learn lots about him in practice. Belichick tries not to use regular season games to test players on the bottom of the roster.

I'd like to see Woodhead play before passing judgment on him.

I understand the Green-Ellis is unlikey to go. But that isn't because he is such a stud. We need to realize that running backs don't develop over time, they just wear down (and perhaps try to get rid of acquired habits).

I have no obsession with Green-Ellis. He was the #5 RB last year on a team that didn't use him even when there are two injuries. Most of the analysts (and I think most posters)had us keeping four, excluding Green-Ellis. No, it you that was with the minority in your support of Green-Ellis.

For this season, Green-Ellis is part of a stable of running backs in their contract years. I look forward to almost a complete new set of running backs in 2011. Few are satisfied with Belichick's strategy, but it what it is. Running backs are brought in when they are needed, much like guards.

You have had an obsession with cutting Green-Ellis since he was picked up as a free agent.

He's not going anywhere anytime soon

I understand the Green-Ellis is unlikey to go. But that isn't because he is such a stud. We need to realize that running backs don't develop over time, they just wear down (and perhaps try to get rid of acquired habits).

I have no obsession with Green-Ellis. He was the #5 RB last year on a team that didn't use him even when there are two injuries. Most of the analysts (and I think most posters)had us keeping four, excluding Green-Ellis. No, it you that was with the minority in your support of Green-Ellis.

For this season, Green-Ellis is part of a stable of running backs in their contract years. I look forward to almost a complete new set of running backs in 2011. Few are satisfied with Belichick's strategy, but it what it is. Running backs are brought in when they are needed, much like guards.

As someone who played the running back position for more than 10 years, running backs do develop. You get faster at reading holes, learn when to cut, technique in blocking, technique in running, learning more from film, getting stronger, faster, etc. Changing tendencies and getting rid of acquired habits is DEVELOPMENT. Yeah, we do wear down by the end of the season and gradually over time, but running backs do develop.

My stance on Green-Ellis is this: he's an verage NFL backup who runs hard and will often get that crucial extra yard. I'd call him an above average backup, but we see running backs get plugged into systems all the time and have success. If we had to rely on Green-Ellis to start a few games for us, we could expect about 15-20 carries and 65-75 yards from him with the occassional good or bad game, with an average of around 3.6-3.7 ypc. Serviceable, but not great.

I do feel we need help at the running back position. Taylor is already banged up, and Morris hasn't stayed healthy in years. Green-Ellis won't be winning us many games. Woodhead is not a viable option as an every-down back.

Like you, I'd also like to see us bring in another defensive player or two. Crable is seemingly healthy because I don't think BB would bring him back otherwise. He also won practice player of the week, which is no big deal, but an encouraging sign nonetheless.

I wouldn't mind us bringing in another cornerback either. I'm know I'm going to get smashed on this board for saying this, but why not Ty Law or Shawn Springs. We need a corner that is bigger and physical and can jam receivers at the goal line so that we don't get another Butler/Edwards fiasco. Maybe Meriweather can play some big-corner in goal line sets? Man, I wish we still had Leigh healthy.

LOL, running backs don't develop? Tell that one to Kevin Faulk. I'd like to see more reps from BJ this year to see how if he has, in fact developed. In either case, he gives us options on special teams and passing downs that Maroney didn't.

I'd like to see more from Woodhead before we decide he sucks.

Barring injury, most pure running backs peak around age 25, when their skills combined with their athleticism are at their maximum. Afterwards, their bodies tend to deteriorate relatively quickly.

Kevin Faulk is a great example of an exception to the rule, demonstrating how a running back can extend his career by developing new skills such as pass blocking and pass receiving.

Last edited:
It is not posters who need to pass judgement on whether someone is an upgrade over Woodhead. Belichick will learn lots about him in practice. Belichick tries not to use regular season games to test players on the bottom of the roster.

You stated that we need an upgrade at RB over Woodhead which might be true, but BB signed him to the active roster for a reason. Seems to me you've passed judgment on the player without waiting to see what plans BB might or might not have for him.

As to your original question... Crable must be healthy and practicing. Didn't he win one of the black practice jerseys leading up to the Jets game?

Belichick is evaluating Woodhead in practice. He may or may not ever make the active roster. He could be cut this week; he could be here for the season, expecting to see him improve through the next offseason. I don't expect that belichick brought in Woodhead expecting him to get immediate action as the 3rd down back protecting the quarterback.

Faulk was injured this week. Woodhead was signed last week. I am not suggesting cutting Woodhead. What I AM suggesting is that we need more than what we have as we appoach the rest of the season and the playoffs.

I said we need an upgrade over depending on Woodhead. The alternative is to simply expect a player who has never sho anyone anything to all of a sudden be productive player.

My BOTTOM LINE is that I am fine with belichick carrying yet another developmental player.

You stated that we need an upgrade at RB over Woodhead which might be true, but BB signed him to the active roster for a reason. Seems to me you've passed judgment on the player without waiting to see what plans BB might or might not have for him.

The analysts thought BJGE would get cut? AND the posters here thought he'd get cut? He must suck then.

Not at all. However, the analysts and posters were right in the vaast majority of their predicitions.

In any case, Belichick decided that he'd rather have Green-Ellis than Maroney in the last year of the contracts. Only the coaches understand all the things that went into that decision. Once Belichick made that clear last week, the situation was clear to all.

The issue NOW is not whether Green-Ellis stays on the squad. The issue is whether, NOW THAT FAULK IS GONE, do we need to bring in anyone to contribute or as insurance gainst further injuries. Many folks here are mixing the issues of the promotion of Green-Ellis to #4 running back with the issue of replacing Faulk's production.

Are you suggesting that Green-Ellis should step in and take the additional reps?

I suggested that we need help. I stand by that assessment. I would rather not wait until Taylor or Morris are injured to secure additional help. Faulk's injury is HUGE. IMHO, Belichick will deal with it before the trading deadline.

The analysts thought BJGE would get cut? AND the posters here thought he'd get cut? He must suck then.

I think Bill keeps Crable around so he doesn't have to pay off on the bet for cutting him for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes