Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is Catholic University allowed to be Catholic?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Brandon Five, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +988 / 2 / -9

In America:
    Do Muslims have "Muslim Schools"

Why does our government and many other private agencys Cater and Slobber over The Muslim Religion but sh!t all over everybody else's.

:confused:

2. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Yes Harry we do have Muslim schools here. In fact my cousin is a teacher at a Muslim charter school outside of Cincinnati OH.

Colleges? I dont know about that. But we do have Jr/Sr High Schools.

3. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +90 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

I don't think there are any Muslim Colleges in the USA but there are plenty of Colleges run by Catholics (Notre Dame, BC, Holy Cross), Mormons (BYU), Evangelicals (Liberty University, Oral Roberts), etc.

I'm sure American Muslims would love to go to a Muslim College. But that doesn't exist at this time.

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I am all for religious freedom. However, I've always found public displays of religion to be disingenuous. There is no need to pray in public places.

I am glad I wasn't born into a Muslim family. What a pain it would be to suddenly feel complelled to pray in a certain direction in front of anyone who may be around. No wonder Muslims want everyone to be Muslim! That way, no one would think they're wierd.

5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +988 / 2 / -9

Instead of building a Mosque in NYC they should build a School for Muslim Children.

6. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +90 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

C'mon PR; all religions are weird. Catholics go to confessional, Jews wear Yamukas and cut off their sons foreskins 8 days after they are born, Evangelicals hate anyone that isn't an evangelical, Hindus build shrines, Mormons do a bunch of weird things, etc...

7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I absolutely agree. But I was focusing on the "Public" aspect of Muslim-ism. I don't see any other religious folk gathering in public places and laying down rugs to pray in a given direction (God forbid they're aiming north or south).

No religion should get in the public's way. That is why France isn't allowing Muslims to block streets/sidewalks when they gather to pray.

It's ok to criticize people Gainzo.

8. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +90 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

Sure is as I do it all the time :D

I was only commenting on you calling Muslims weird. I would have responded the same way if you called Catholics weird. At least the Mormons keep all their weird stuff behind closed doors!

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

All faith & religion should be kept behind closed doors maintly cuz no else gives a crap about your/my religion but us. Why should people who want to myob have to watch a bunch of people pray in public?

I don't like when pro athletes kneel down and point to the sky either. I think that's just for their own ego...as in "Look at me, I'm a man of faith!"

Most people just don't care if you are or you're not.

10. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +356 / 7 / -4

Ever been to a football game down south? lots of pre-game prayers over the PA -- very strange for an atheist from New England :)

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I agree man. To answer your question, no, I've never been to a football game in the south. But I do know the south is much like things were here 20-30 years ago. They hold onto their tradition much longer than the faster paced areas like New England.

I was in Memphis TN last week and thought the people were some of the most polite & friendly people I've ever met. New England is beautiful, but has too many a-holes in my opinion. I'll take that back, MASSACHUSETTS has too many a-holes. But VT, NH and ME have some wonderful people.

So although I would also find prayers over the loud speaker to be strange, I could take it because of their neighborly attitudes. Just imagine how wierd it would be if they stopped the game suddenly and everyone whipped out kneeling blankets and started to bow in unison in an easterly direction!

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +988 / 2 / -9

Thats a good idea Harry, then if they want to pray in school they will be free to do so.

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You have got to be kidding. You're saying New Englanders don't hold onto their traditions as much as others? Good Lord, do you know how hard it is to change things in the Boston area? Anytime someone proposes any progress they get shouted down by some neighborhood group outraged that you might tear down a building where Paul Revere's horse once took a dump.

For reasons I don't understand, people in the northeast are far more rude than people in the south. I think there is a certain stress that accompanies higher population densities.
    I don't think prayers over public school speakers are taking place except in someone's overactive imagination.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +356 / 7 / -4

Well for starters, I'd highly recommend it if you're a football fan. The high school football is fun because of how big it is -- though I also find that a bit depressing -- the whole Friday Night Lights (book, not tv show :) ) phenomenon of it being the highpoint of some players' lives.

And the college football is fantastic.

(As for the people, there are definitely nice folks in the south, but I think that's a bit overplayed in both directions. There are plenty of nice folks in New England, too, even Mass. I think it's more of a rural v urban thing, and the "pace" issue you mention. But everywhere, urban / rural, north v south, coast v midwest, there are the nice folks and the as*holes.)

15. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +356 / 7 / -4

Overactive imaginations = coming up with "public school speakers" when the discussion was about the PA at football games -- where there are in fact prayers spoken, despite "some people"'s uninformed and biased speculation.

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Theoretically, it's supposed to be forbidden.....but there are a few schools which still try it every now and then.

Virginia is trying to pass a law making it legal once again.

The House of Delegates passed an amendment to the state Constitution in January, 1011, aimed at ensuring the right to pray on public property, including public schools.

Opponents of the measure warned that it might violate the federal Constitution.

RICHMOND
    The amendment, HJ593, sponsored by Del. Bill Carrico, R-Grayson County, adds a paragraph to the religious freedom section of the state Constitution saying that "the people's right to pray and to recognize their religious beliefs, heritage, and traditions on public property, including public schools, shall not be infringed; however, the Commonwealth and its political subdivisions, including public school divisions, shall not compose school prayers, nor require any person to join in prayer or other religious activity."

Carrico said the measure was prompted by an incident at a high school in his Southwest Virginia district when a student gave a prayer over the public address system at a football game. The American Civil Liberties Union sent the school a letter afterward, warning that such a prayer was unconstitutional.

Under his amendment, Carrico said, "no longer would the secular world be able to tell anyone that their beliefs wouldn't be tolerated in public."

Va. House passes constitutional amendment on school prayer | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Could you please give a specific name of such schools and a source backing up that claim?
    I'm comfortable letting the Supreme Court be the judges of that. Are you?

18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +487 / 20 / -17

19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Patters already did.

The Supreme Court has already decided that, WP.

That's why my cited article stated that opponents said Virginia's new law might violate the federal constitution.

First was Lee v. Weisman (1992) regarding school prayer. It was the first major school prayer case decided by the Rehnquist Court. It involved prayers led by religious authority figures at public school graduation ceremonies.

Lee v. Weisman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The decision was upheld and broadened to include sports games in Santa Fe Independent School District v. Doe. (2000)

Students may not use a school's loudspeaker system to offer student-led, student-initiated prayer.
    Before football games, members of the student body of a Texas high school elected one of their classmates to address the players and spectators. These addresses were conducted over the school's loudspeakers and usually involved a prayer. Attendance at these events was voluntary. Three students sued the school arguing that the prayers violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. A majority of the Court rejected the school's argument that since the prayer was student initiated and student led, as opposed to officially sponsored by the school, it did not violate the First Amendment. The Court held that this action did constitute school-sponsored prayer because the loudspeakers that the students used for their invocations were owned by the school.

Landmark Supreme Court Cases about Students

Good to know you're comfortable with their decision, though.

20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

Bump.