Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is Catholic University allowed to be Catholic?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Brandon Five, Oct 28, 2011.

1. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Attorney: Crosses at Catholic University violate human rights of Muslim students | syracuse.com
    How unbelievably insenstive of those Catholics after they forced the Muslims to enroll in a private Catholic institution.
  2. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

This is the stuff that I literally cant believe happens. What happened to common sense?

Why would anyone expect it to be any different than the situation is? This is a private Catholic University who only has to provide services based on their wants and needs. If this was say, UMass Amherst, I agree with the issue.

Welcome to the New America - where you can complain about just anything and find a lawyer who will push the case.....Bizzzzzzzzaro.
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Not really. If they want to be a "private" university which is not obligated to follow federal guidelines they need to quit taking federal funding.

Welcome - The Catholic University of America
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

what Mrs. PF said. if you want to make your own rules then you need to be totally independent. Government money is for all and the strings attached are right and proper for fairness and equality.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

What is the practice of every other Catholic University in the US????

OTOH do not go to a school that you believe violates your religious views.. I would not go to a right wing religious university.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  6. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Touché Mrs.PfVA Touché!! Nice find!! I recant my previous statement then. If they are taking public funding, which appears to be the case, then they aren't a "private" institution and should provide students the ability to their thing in a manner deemed satisfactory.

I guess I just assumed they were truly a private institution. You know what they say happens when you assume things.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

An interesting aside is the Liberty University in Va(Jerry Falwell's Creation), is the largest recipient of federal funds in that state... because of Pell Grants and GI Bill combined with a high enrollment with in On Line Courses...
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

Do schools like Wellesley and Morehouse take federal funding?
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

As far as I know only two universities do not accept federal funding of any sort and they are Hinsdale in Michigan and Grove City in Pennsylvania.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Remember reading that somewhere.. but I think there are a few more; Patrick Henry, Thomas Acquinas and Christendom University.
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

I guess my thoughts on this are two-fold, then.

First, I'm not sure of all the forms of federal funding, but I've always been under the impression that some federal funds go directly to universities, while other forms come through grants, loans, etc. that are made to students to pay the school. I could be completely wrong about that. But if I'm right, I view the latter as completely different from the former.

Second, it seems to me that Catholic University is far more accommodating than schools like Morehouse and Wellesley. They don't limit acceptance to Catholics (or almost entirely Catholics -- I think Morehouse allows whites, though I don't think men are eligible to attend Wellesley). Requiring them to go out of their way to "accommodate" religious preferences of non-Catholics seems to be going too far. Why is a cross in a room a non-starter? How does it affect Muslims or anybody else, and if it does have some negative effect, why are they attending the school?
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Wherever a Muslim goes he has to be allowed to pray.

You baptists better not try it though.
  13. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

more of harry's Christian persecution complex
  14. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Chico - I agree with your points bolded above. More detail is needed in terms of what the financing is done with and for. Your distinction does make sense from a "this is the gray area" POV.

As for the second bolded part, that is basically where I sit too. Why would a[enter any religion or sect not name Catholic here] person attend a Catholic University?

I was raised Catholic (no confirmation) and wouldn't have gone to a Catholic college. I guess one could say "well it is the closest school, or the closest best school". But to me personal preference would dictate not attending a Catholic (or any religiously affiliated school for that matter) university.
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

But rings of The Truth (reality)
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Esentially a small (but vocal) group of people are saying "your practicing your religion infringes on my right to practice mine, therefore we petition the government to force you to stop."

Even Orwell couldn't come up with logic as twisted as that.
  17. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

Only to those with a persecution complex
  18. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

Actually, one group doesn't have the right to infringe on the rights of another, so this isn't correct. If one religion says there shall be no false gods, that doesn't give its adherents the "right" to destroy the churches and idols of another religion.

You're giving the petitioners here too much credit. Any claim that their rights are being infringed upon is without merit. (If there were merit to the claim, their argument would have some validity.)
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

I have basically the same background as you and agree with you.

Closest school, closest best school, either way, that's a tradeoff they're choosing to make. I have friends who send their kids to Catholic school even though they're not Catholic. They don't love some aspects of the school's teachings, but overall, they felt it was the best educational alternative for their children, so they live with what they view as the drawbacks.

Now, if catholic University is in fact receiving funds directly from the Federal government, maybe there is an argument in the Muslims' favor. but if that's the case, I don't know how that gets squared with schools that only admit women or almost entirely admit blacks.
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 4 / -2

Can you explain what the information at the link you posted means?