PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Cassel now worth a 1st round pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny that Lifer mentions Scott Mitchell in his example of QB's who had a few good games and then flopped. Those few good games Mitchell had propelled him to be the beneficiary of a bidding war between the Lions and Vikings at the end of that season.

After today's performance, I am joining the chorus in singing "We must franchise Matt Cassel". I hope I don't jinx him, but he's been playing good enough football that the Patriots are guaranteed to get a first round pick in return for him.

Options:

The 49ers: I don't think San Francisco is willing to draft another QB high and would rather trade for Cassel who could stabilize their franchise. This could be more or a swap firsts and the Niners throw in a 2nd or 3rd due to where they are drafting. Then again if Cassel keeps this going, they could have to give up more than an early no.1.

The Vikings: The Vikings will only look to trade for Cassel if Brad Childress is fired. If Childress stays, he will be on a playoffs or bust ultimatum...and Donovan McNabb will be his quarterback.

The Lions: Totally dependent on who their GM turns out to be. Pairing Cassel with Calvin Johnson and the improving Kevin Smith would give them a very solid foundation. Another situation like the Niners where their pick is high enough that we'd probably have to swap firsts. I know the Patriots have no interest in paying the no.1 overall pick, so that could complicate a trade.

The Panthers: At some point, they have to look to upgrade from Jake Delhomme. No first round pick this year and lots of free agents of there own make them the longest shot I'll list.

The Rams: Could they decide to move on from Bulger and start over? Depends on the GM/Head coach they sign obviously.

Chiefs: This would have been the obvious fit until Thigpen started playing some very good football for them. I am not sure they would be willing to shell out picks and cash unless Thigpen flops the rest of the year.

Tampa Bay: This is actually my most likely possibility. Jon Gruden loves QB's and he doesn't love starting Jeff Garcia. The Bucs won't be picking high in the draft, so the cost will be affordable to them. If the Patriots truly will give Cassel up for one first round pick, why wouldn't the Bucs give up a pick in the late teens to mid twenties to solve their QB issues long term?

Just speaking for myself here, but I'd actually prefer a younger veteran player to a first round draft pick, if possible. If the Pats could get an established good football player still on his rookie contract for Cassel, that would be ideal in my mind.

That is a lot of teams we could use to create a bidding war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing