PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Cassel now worth a 1st round pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the last guy to have back to back 400 yard games was billy volek........how much has he ever been worth????

when he gets better in the red zone, maybe.....

as for franchising him, the pats can easily do it.......and still and still be players in free agency........

if we wind up with a 2nd rounder as well as a day 2 pick, I will be very happy

I don't see the Pats franchising him. If they do, and you don't find a trade partner they'd be stuck paying him millions to sit on the bench.
There's almost no way they wouldn't find a trading partner if they lowered the price enough. Unless Cassel looks like crap the rest of the way they would have a trading partner, it's unrealistic that they wouldn't.

There's almost no way they wouldn't find a trading partner if they lowered the price enough. Unless Cassel looks like crap the rest of the way they would have a trading partner, it's unrealistic that they wouldn't.

Agreed, there is no way that they do not get at least a high 2nd rounder from someone and a high day 2 pick.

No, lets have this discussion after next weeks game against the Steelers. If Cassell has a very good game against them, he's worth at least a #1. A team which is a qb away from greatness would give up a #1. Teams which need/want a qb ( the Bears, 49er's, and Lions, and of course the Bucs).

I remember last year I said he was worth at least a #2 and I was laughed at.

Ok, if we're looking at trades, how about Cassel and a pick for Calvin Johnson? Am I the only one who would gladly do that, even if that pick was a future #1?

Of course, that might be too mean a thing to do to Cassel, now that I think about it.

Last edited:
I really doubt they're going to trade him this offseason. I think it's like Charlie Casserly says -- they have to proceed as though Cassel is the quarterback until Brady proves he's healthy. My guess is that they franchise Cassel with the aim of signing him to a long-term deal -- and tell him that if he isn't named the starter within a year, he'll be traded.

No, lets have this discussion after next weeks game against the Steelers. If Cassell has a very good game against them, he's worth at least a #1. A team which is a qb away from greatness would give up a #1. Teams which need/want a qb ( the Bears, 49er's, and Lions, and of course the Bucs).
I agree we won't know until after the season. Even Rick Mirer had one good year - a whole year. If Matt has a good game against the Steelers and then throws 9 picks over the last 4 games he won't be worth a first rounder. He has to prove he can be consistently good, not just good for 2 or 3 weeks in a row, before he is worth a first rounder. And any team that trades for him will have to guarantee him at least what he would get under the franchise tag, which I believe is about $13M, in addition to whatever they give up in draft picks.

Exactly.

This argument is inane.

Teams are DESPERATE for decent QBs. There are maybe 15 QBs in the league who can play, and a few go down with injuries every year anyway. That leaves potentially 15-20 possible trading partners for a Cassel trade. The competition will be fierce. Not only that, but teams will want to move on Cassel early because (a) they want to beat out other bidders and (b) they'll want as mkuch time as possible to bring him up to speed in their system.

If Cassel continues to play solidly, the Pats will tag him. Bank on it.

I don't see the Pats franchising him. If they do, and you don't find a trade partner they'd be stuck paying him millions to sit on the bench.

That's only the case if Cassel signs the tender offer which if he continues to play like this is doubtful because he can get more on the open market. Cassel can still be cut down the road in the offseason if he doesn't sign the tender offer.

Matt and PATs come to an agreement before end of contract year and extend
his current contract.
He signs a 1 yr deal for say 4M. If another team other than and AFCE team
offers a trade deal both parties like the deal is done. Matt has option to
opt out of the contract AFTER the 2009 draft.

There could be other stipulations in such a contract but it I think they
could work something out without needing to use the franchise tag.

the last guy to have back to back 400 yard games was billy volek........how much has he ever been worth????

when he gets better in the red zone, maybe.....

as for franchising him, the pats can easily do it.......and still and still be players in free agency........

if we wind up with a 2nd rounder as well as a day 2 pick, I will be very happy

don't see this happening (franchising him)........and very few if any analysts/mediots believe we will franchise him either.........I don't see him here next year......but he has done an exceptional job with the skills he has ......this year........good for him......hope he gets a big payday.......he sure has made Leinart and Palmer look silly ;)

his current contract.

Um...why on EARTH would Matt Cassel agree to a one-year deal for 4 mill NOW? He's about to hit FA and make double that (at least) per year for something like 4-5 years. It's too late to sign him long-term now. The Franchise Tag is the ONLY way to get something for the guy at this point. And I think they'll do it.

Sigh.

We're $23M under right now. The $14M would free up when we traded him. So, right, homework - go ahead and YOU do it.

That 23 million is

1.)before the Pats sign players (usually their PS players) to future contracts.
2.) before the Pats tender their ERFAs and RFAs
3.) before the 2009 salaries of several Patriots are increased because of reached escalators.
4.) some Patriots UFAs (most likely Paxton and Izzo) are resigned
5.) some Patriots signed for the 2009 season (most likely Tedy, Faulk, Neal, Wilfork, Seymour, Green, and Vrabel) will redo their deals or maybe even resign
6.) the LTBE/NLTBE calculation takes place
7.) before the Top 51 rule kicks in for the 2009 season

his current contract.

The odds are better that I sign an one year, $4 million contract with the Pats than Cassel. If Cassel is here under a one year deal, it will be the franchise tag tender of $14 million. I don't see that happening either. The best the Pats can hope for is franchise and trade him.

Um...why on EARTH would Matt Cassel agree to a one-year deal for 4 mill NOW?
Because players should do what is best for the Patriots and not what is best for their future interests:)

That 23 million is

1.)before the Pats sign players (usually their PS players) to future contracts.
2.) before the Pats tender their ERFAs and RFAs
3.) before the 2009 salaries of several Patriots are increased because of reached escalators.
4.) some Patriots UFAs (most likely Paxton and Izzo) are resigned
5.) some Patriots signed for the 2009 season (most likely Tedy, Faulk, Neal, Wilfork, Seymour, Green, and Vrabel) will redo their deals or maybe even resign
6.) the LTBE/NLTBE calculation takes place
7.) before the Top 51 rule kicks in for the 2009 season

I think if the Pats can get a trade from Cassel traded quickly in free agency, points 4 and 5 may be irrelevant. I don't know if that gives the Pats enough room though.

cassel is worth more then a 1st rounder...

a 1st and 3rd at the least...

i can name at least 10 teams salivating over this guy...teams that are complete but lack a true QB which would boost them to sb contention

I think if the Pats can get a trade from Cassel traded quickly in free agency, points 4 and 5 may be irrelevant. I don't know if that gives the Pats enough room though.

Izzo and Paxton were re-signed by the Pats before free agency began in 2008.

In 2008 Jared Allen, a franchise player in 2008, was traded right before the draft.

In 2006 John Abraham, a franchise player in 2006, was traded a couple of weeks after free agency began.

Given the lack of "money" players that need to be re-signed, and combining that with the reality that most draft picks tend not to get signed until fairly close to training camp and the reality that not all the players on the current roster are going to be brought back, money shouldn't be any kind of issue for the franchise tag and trade idea. Now, if they tag him with the expectation of actually keeping him, that could cause problems depending upon how high they pick in the draft.

Last edited:
Izzo and Paxton were re-signed by the Pats before free agency began in 2008.

In 2008 Jared Allen, a franchise player in 2008, was traded right before the draft.

In 2006 John Abraham, a franchise player in 2006, was traded a couple of weeks after free agency began.

Izzo and Paxton are going to get veteran minimum deals though. Peerless Price was traded quickly from Buffalo.

I don't know if it is possible to swing, but I think it is worth a try if the Pats think they can trade him quickly and get a lot for him. They may be able to get cap room from converting some players' salaries into bonuses, but that is your area of expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back