PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is C. Long worth doing this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BradyToMoss

Let's assume J Long and Gholston both go 1/2. If you're BB, do you deal the 7/62 and Oakland's 3rd to old friend Dimitroff to get him? Dimitroff has been recently quoted indicating that he's very open to trading the pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trade value chart would seriously preclude this. ATL needs to get value for the pick if traded. That would take our 1,2 and both 3s...definately not worth it.

Let's assume J Long and Gholston both go 1/2. If you're BB, do you deal the 7/62 and Oakland's 3rd to old friend Dimitroff to get him? Dimitroff has been recently quoted indicating that he's very open to trading the pick.

Hell NO. Chris long isn't worth that

The trade value chart would seriously preclude this. ATL needs to get value for the pick if traded. That would take our 1,2 and both 3s...definately not worth it.

Which is exactly how out of wack this idiotic trade value chart is. Who in their right mind would trade the #7/62 and the those 2 third round picks for the 3rd overall pick (a move up 4 spots).

To answer whether he'd be worth it, it might be worth translating those abstract picks into actual players. There are a ton of scenarios, but here's one plausible alternate use of the three picks:

TRADE: exchange 1st & 2nd round picks with Carolina.
#13: Quentin Groves, OLB
#44: Brandon Flowers, CB
#67: Red Bryant, DT

Would you rather have just Chris Long, or spend less money for Groves, Flowers and Bryant? Personally I'd take the latter for sure, but your results may vary.

To answer whether he'd be worth it, it might be worth translating those abstract picks into actual players. There are a ton of scenarios, but here's one plausible alternate use of the three picks:

TRADE: exchange 1st & 2nd round picks with Carolina.
#13: Quentin Groves, OLB
#44: Brandon Flowers, CB
#67: Red Bryant, DT

Would you rather have just Chris Long, or spend less money for Groves, Flowers and Bryant? Personally I'd take the latter for sure, but your results may vary.

Are you sure Long by himself would cost the Pats money than those 3 combined?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure Long by himself would cost the Pats money than those 3 combined?

Well, last year's #3 got $42 million over 5 years. Last year's #13 got $12 million over 5 years. So I think Long at 3 would not merely cost more, but vastly more than 13, 44 & 67 combine.

...not to mention that Long is not a lock to be a great 3-4 OLB in the NFL.
I'm with patchick. I'll take those three over him any day, as good as he may turn out to be.

I don't think the Pats would give up three draft picks to trade

up to #3. I could see them using the #3 pick from Oakland to

trade up with Kansas City for the #5 pick if a player they really

want is still there. I don't think the Pats are so restrained by

the salary cap that they could not trade up.

I'd take McKelvin / Avril or Gholston / CB or even Rivers / CB over trading UP from Long. That being said, I would love to get C. Long.

I would certainly give up 7 and 69 for Long at 5......but as I suggested before, I would much rather trade #7 for Suggs with a new contract. A proven all pro could help this team so much more than any draft pick. As long as we can squeeze under the cap that is...

Absolutely not.

The most I think BB would part with would be a 3rd-rounder, and yet, I don't see that happening either.

IMO, BB will work extra hard to have a trade-down deal in place. The value would be much greater for him to acquire an extra 2nd or 3rd and use those picks, than it would to move up from #7 for any one player.

This draft has great value from the mid first through round three. Why bother trading away those picks -- especially when the Pats have several needs.

Long is a special player who may or may not make an impact his first year. But in a trade down, the Pats have a chance to draft at least 3 players early who have starter potential. See the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back