PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Bruschi a weak link in defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy that is going to benefit the most, not only from a dominating D Line, but also a stud ILB in Mayo will be Bruschi himself. Tedy will reap the benefits of that.

Personally, I would love to see Mayo and a re-signed Seau be the primary interior ILB's with Bru spelling them here and there. With the Tank Williams "In the box" experiment all over, hopefully a phone call out to San Diego happens sometime this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Ellis Hobbs still playing defense? Then no, Bruschi is not the weak link.

But in total, Tedy is not going to be able to mirror backs and tight ends in coverage and can be exploited in the slot. But he can still come in an mix it up with guards and plug holes. In rotation I think he can be be effective based on experience. Having him next to Mayo is highly valuable.

I'm worried about Hobson, he is not really showing up yet.

In a word, "yes". But perhaps it is because of the l;ack of depth that is currently competing. Alexander is a STer, and an emergency LB, not someone who will get a major number of reps.

So Bruschi now the weak link because he is now taking too many reps. Hobson and/or Seau need to share reps with Bruschi. Then ILB could be a stength for this team.

I don't think Bruschi is a weak link. He still is effective at rushing the passer and running down. He is a liability in coverage. I think the coaching staff knows this.

I fully expect to see Mayo and Hobson and others on the field more to allow the Pats to only use Bruschi situationally. I think he can be very impactful that way.

Blasphemy I know but after watching some of the Ravens game he didn't look very impressive. I know it's the first preseason game but I will be watching him the next few games to see how he looks. I'm hoping he can platoon with someone to keep him fresh this year and get the best out of him.

Yes, he is ONE of the weak links. Everyone's time comes eventually. Tedy's came two years ago. I hope and pray Seau comes back - rotate with Tedy and whomever.

There is on one on the D that can read the O and call the right adjustments better than Bru. He may have lost a step, but is still solid vs. the run and short yardage situations. He is most certainly NOT a weak link. He may be at the end of his career; the guy has the best football instincts on the field.

I think nearly everyone realizes he hasn't been at the top of his game since the stroke, no question. It all comes down to how much is expected of him and how he'll be integrated into games. I'm glad he's still on the team, and he can make an important contribution--it's just obvious he's not an every down guy anymore.

At this point in his career Tedy is a situational player. Use him on a short field where his smarts rather than physical prowess will be more important. He's a weak link if the Patriots are forced to play him full-time.

Blasphemy I know but after watching some of the Ravens game he didn't look very impressive. I know it's the first preseason game but I will be watching him the next few games to see how he looks. I'm hoping he can platoon with someone to keep him fresh this year and get the best out of him.

I thought he should have given up Football two years ago and that's being generous. When i ever i see him matched up with any RB i cringe at the sight.:scared:

First, anyone who basis their opinion on the first preseason game just doesn't get it.

Second, Bruschi is still anchors the middle of this defense and is still a rock. No more a weak link than the starting safeties in pass coverage or shedding a block. No more than Ellis Hobbs on a corner route. If you I know a lot of you are basing performance on previous years and that is your opinion. I'm just surprised that fans still take for granted the value Bruschi brings to the defense on the field. I don't think Seau was any more effective last year. Take Bruschi out of lineup and you will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots