PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Brandon Spikes time with the Patriots limited?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's a gifted player who can be an assassin against the run. I also think he is a liability in pass defense and, at times, trends toward being a knucklehead with his tweets and other off-field comments. I sense that BB doesn't entirely trust him or his game at all times. Just my opinion. I think he has a more elevated sense of his value to the team than Bill's.

I think this is right on the money, before the last SB against the Giants he told his cousin, Takeo Spikes, that he was going to be "a household name," Spikes sees himself as a star, which isn't necessarily a bad thing or a bad goal, but it does imply that he sees himself as a better player than he has shown to date. I really like him and hope he's here for years to come but he really is a role player and i just don't know of he is willing to see himself in that light.

The only reason to want him is because he is a player with balls on a defense that is filled with players that lack them.

Excellent! I love Spikes, and your contrary opinion is like a seal of approval.

Yeah, he makes some bonehead plays that cost us a completion or two or a run that goes longer than it should. And those same tendencies result in crucial game-changing fumbles and momentum shifts that win games. I'll be sad if he moves on, but will always have a fondness for a guy who brings it every down, win or lose.

You guys see him around next year? Great at stopping the run but in coverage...is really bad. Wonder if Collins has a solid year if they decide to let him go. Collins has the ability to do it all. But they need LBs who can cover and i wonder if that pick on Collins means anything in regards to spikes

Of course his time is limited, he's a limited player. He's useful on a cheap contract in a part time role, but hes not going to be useful at real money. He'll get a big deal somewhere, and move on.

The Ravens loss was a combination of bad plays that were never going to be overcome that day. Welker dropping that pass that hit him right in the hands...a gimme if I ever saw one...that was a play the team HAS to have in a playoff game. Brady overthrowing Hernandez on the right side with 40 yards open in front of him...THAT is a pass that Brady has to make...the crucial drops...the failed runs...these were all factors but to me, without question, the biggest factor was Flacco ignoring the Pats defense in the pocket and Ray Rice running to the outside on the left and getting crucial first downs when the plays SHOULD have been stopped for losses, Chung was useless on every one of these runs as was the penetration by the D line and backers. I saw the game from field level four rows back...it's just like being on the sidelines. The Ravens ran to the left with impunity inside the 20. That hurt to watch.

Why do we keep blaming the defense for playoff losses when the offense (that is supposed to be one of the best in the league) puts up 15 points?

The defense isn't great, but atleast it seems to play up to its talent level in the playoffs, as opposed to the offense that seems to turn into pumpkins.

Re: Is Spikes time with the pats limited?

All I want for Christmas is footage of B2M telling Wilfork, Mayo, A. Wilson, C. Jones and the rest of this defense that they "have no balls..."

What a world class douchebag.

Why do we keep blaming the defense for playoff losses when the offense (that is supposed to be one of the best in the league) puts up 15 points?

The defense isn't great, but atleast it seems to play up to its talent level in the playoffs, as opposed to the offense that seems to turn into pumpkins.

I really doubt many people are going to be screaming about the Patriots defense by the end of this coming season, i think it will be the best defense they had had since 2003-2004, and one of the best defenses ion football. Yards will always be a little higher than some other teams because opposing teams will be throwing a ton to try and stay in games but their points allowed, red zone, turnovers and 3rd down % are going to be among the league leaders.

I hope not.

depth is always needed in any position and i like spikes. last season was a wonderful season for him.

All I want for Christmas is footage of B2M telling Wilfork, Mayo, A. Wilson, C. Jones and the rest of this defense that they "have no balls..."

What a world class douchebag.

Sorry for my ignorance but, who is "B2M"? :bricks:

****ty poster earlier in the thread who has personally inspected (orally?) every player on the defense's balls.

This is a debatable conversation that we could all talk about for hours, and it's probably pointless since it's always going to be a team-game, win or lose.

BUT....if you really want your question answered---

Those who blame the defense do so because our last 3 home playoff losses have seen them give up 33, 28, and 28 points....

It was also the defense who allowed the most recent AFCCG loss to get out of hand, as we had a 13-7 lead with five minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. Even the beginning of the 4th quarter saw the score at 14-13. It was the defensive side of the ball that gave up 3 late game TD's in a row, and who didn't even get the Ravens offense into a 3rd down conversion attempt on one of those late TD drives. It's acceptable to win low scoring games, particularly in the playoffs when the defensive competition is much improved; yet our defense can't hold anyone in situations that matter, so when our high-powered offense gets held in check everyone automatically points to them as the main problem. Those situations are going to happen, particularly in the playoffs. We can't keep placing the weight of the world on Brady's shoulders and expecting the offense to average 30+ ppg. If that were the case, we'd never have won a championship, let alone 3 earlier in the last decade.

We've now lost our last 3 big-time games in SB42, SB46, and the 2012 AFCCG due to our defense giving up critical, back-breaking last minute (or late game) TD drives...of 85 yds+.

I'm not sure how you find that acceptable when 7/9 playoff games during the "dynasty" era sof 3 SB wins saw our offense averaging only 18 pts a game?....in my opinion it'll always be a controversial subject, but those who blame the defense certainly have an argument.

Not me...even though my name is like there..there is another poster with a similar name but instead of to..it's 2

I don't doubt that he works hard. However, I don't know that he's much of a leader, and after a year of him tweeting, I don't think he's very smart. IMHO

For the right price, he might be resigned, but I just don't see it happening.

If I had to bet on it, I would certainly lean towards the odds being against Spikes being signed to a second contract. Like Synovia said, he was a great rookie pact player on the cheap. Those second contracts are much different, and the traits that I presented such as leadership, smarts, hard work ethic, etc are definitely going to come into consideration when Belichick starts throwing some numbers around.

I think that last season showed a different side of Spikes, as he had not proven to be much of any of those things to that point in time. His status may depend on whether or not he can continue his progression from the 2011 playoff stretch run on...and even then there's probably a very good chance that he signs elsewhere for bigger money. Only time will tell, and I hope he stays, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Belichick decided to move on. There's a possibility that the picks in Hightower and Collins may be preparing for that. I would have to think that the odds of a guy like Ninkovich would be higher than a guy like Spikes staying on--but that's just my opinion.

But our D drives down to the red zone. It's just been a a lack of a big target down there or able to run it in. Last Super Bowl, Both teams had 3 red zone appearances I think. We had 2tds and a FG, giants had some kind of combination of 21 points also. If we get a TD on the last red zone drive, who knows what happens.

AFCCG, we got down in the red zone 6 times I think. Only 1 TD. We need a big target it those games. We can't put it all on gronk the season and not have a backup. Just get one of these reciever a a red zone target for Tom, and maybe we get a super championship and SB appearance. From what I see, we need that big target in the playoffs. And gronk has had 2 freak injuries. Hernandez had a freak one last year and battled through it but needs help especially with gronk in his form. Maybe this is the year, I haven't seen lightning strike 3 times so hopefully it doesn't.

Don't be shocked if Steve Beauharnais takes the field.
He is as good as Lavonte David in coverage, smarts go a long way.

Education is his first goal.

The problem with the offense has been pretty simple: the lack of big, physical targets who can haul in contested passes. That's been a combination of Gronk playoff injuries and the lack of a physical presence at WR.

A prayer for good health and Ballard as a backup could be the answer to the former, and drafting Dobson and (to a lesser extent) Boyce will hopefully fill the latter.

If there's a secondary issue on offense, it's that the interior of the line doesn't hold up well against good defensive lines, and that's a legitimate question that should keep being asked, because the Pats don't seem to view it as much of a problem at all, given their lack of urgency in fixing it.

Still, I think the real issue is that we've mostly acknowledged that the defense has further to go before it can be considered top-tier. Where the offense has a couple of holes, the defense has to make significant improvements at all three levels. Luckily, Belichick has not hesitated to throw a ton of draft picks at the problem- now we just have to wait and see if they pan out.

Certainly not the patriots. They're hoping to replace Spikes for 2014 with an very inexpensive 7th rounder.

Who would pay a LB big $$ to only stop the run?

Who would pay a LB big $$ to only stop the run?

I don't think it has anything to do with "big $$" as you say, but moreso with Belichick/Spikes not agreeing on specific value.

We've seen players leave here for very small amounts of money...most recently with Welker who could have easily been retained for another 500k per year over the course of the two year deal.

Adam Vinateri was yet another prime example of an important player who Belichick didn't want to "overpay."

In my opinion Spikes just seems like the kind of player to test the waters, so if we do end up retaining him it will be after no other team has offered him more. That is unlikely to happen due to his "name" and recognition lately. Someone will give him more than Belichick, or at least the chance is pretty good in my opinion.

Certainly not the patriots. They're hoping to replace Spikes for 2014 with an very inexpensive 7th rounder.

Mayo is locked up, Hightower is only one year in, and this is Collins' very first year. On top of that we have Fletcher and a grouping of less talented players who could potentially step in.

And that's not even bringing up the possibility of next year's draft choices and/or any free agents or camp/cap casualties.

There are plenty of options to replace Spikes, and as you said--I expect Belichick and the team to explore all of their options. He was great under a cheap rookie deal, but I'm not sure if he's the kind of player who agrees to a lessened amount to stay in Foxborough. We'll have to see.

In the meantime it would certainly appear as though they are planning for his departure should it come down to it, judging by their draft choices and the choice to retain Fletcher again.

he's stats last year where better then Dannell Ellerbe who got a big pay day from the fish if he has one more year like that he may want that type of money I don't see him getting it but that wont stop him from wanting it,

but that's why the pats have Dont'a Hightower if spikes it gone next year they will be just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes