PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Branch Worth Reggie Wayne money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I am asking if he is worth it or if he'll get it.

I'm not asking if he should be traded.
I'm not asking if this is a riduclous question or not.

This is what was in the last thread and from what i see, not a single person answered this question.

So is he worth that much?

if you could, please answer that, THEN propose what the pats do next if he refuses to play for less.

Last edited:
Wayne got a huge deal but if you look at the numbers over the past couple years like 2 years or so you'll see that Wayne's statistics have actually been better then Marvin Harrisons I believe. Branch is good but hes not Reggie Wayne. Not a Wayne salary, a little lower, Branch is still a very talented young reciever.

It's really hard to say. Most of the posters I've seen say that he's not worth as much as Wayne because of stats alone. It's hard to judge it that way considering the differences in offenses. That Patriots spread the ball around alot unlike the Colts who throw everything to their big two receivers. I'm going to say that Branch IS worth as much as Wayne.

wayne gets like 6.5 per year avg right? Give Branch 5.5-5.7 mill

huskeralk said:
It's really hard to say. Most of the posters I've seen say that he's not worth as much as Wayne because of stats alone. It's hard to judge it that way considering the differences in offenses. That Patriots spread the ball around alot unlike the Colts who throw everything to their big two receivers. I'm going to say that Branch IS worth as much as Wayne.
good stuff, thanks for having the balls to say that.
I think if branch was in Wayne's spot on the colts offense he'd be just as productive. The colts receivers have come off as kind of pansies and i dont see branch that way.

But if thats what he wants, and wont settle for less.... what do we do????

because i have no clue i could see the argument for signing or trading him.

Keegs said:
good stuff, thanks for having the balls to say that.
I think if branch was in Wayne's spot on the colts offense he'd be just as productive. The colts receivers have come off as kind of pansies and i dont see branch that way.

But if thats what he wants, and wont settle for less.... what do we do????

because i have no clue i could see the argument for signing or trading him.

I don't know. I suppose this season I would do nothing, if he wants to sit out, fine him. At the end of the day he's still under contract and will play for us this season. Ideally he would play this season under his current contract and then we could see what we have in Jackson. If Jackson lights it up, it's time to franchise Branch and start shopping him around.

Last edited:
huskeralk said:
I don't know. I suppose this season I would do nothing, if he wants to sit out, fine him. At the end of the day he's still under contract and will play for us this season. Ideally he would play this season under his current contract and then we could see what we have in Jackson. If Jackson lights it up, it's time to franchise Branch and start shopping him around.

husker, you will not believe this, but that there is one heck of a post. i couldn't agree more.

It is in Branch's best interest to try and get a deal done now, his salary for this year is pretty low and a restructuring even at 4-5 mil a year would still net him more money over the life of the contract than playing out the string and signing for 6-7 mil next year. What if Jackson outplays him this year? Then where does he go? Branch has great quickness and has been nothing but outstanding on and off the field in his time in NE. But he does not have the size of the Highiest paid WR

Branch is 5'9" 193

Conversely Wayne is 6'0" 198
Owens is 6'3"226
Moss is 6'4" 215
Harrison is 6'0" 175

FreeTedWilliams said:
It is in Branch's best interest to try and get a deal done now, his salary for this year is pretty low and a restructuring even at 4-5 mil a year would still net him more money over the life of the contract than playing out the string and signing for 6-7 mil next year. What if Jackson outplays him this year? Then where does he go? Branch has great quickness and has been nothing but outstanding on and off the field in his time in NE. But he does not have the size of the Highiest paid WR

Branch is 5'9" 193

Conversely Wayne is 6'0" 198
Owens is 6'3"226
Moss is 6'4" 215
Harrison is 6'0" 175

Harrison is not 6'0". The Colts just say that.

Most teams will elevate any player who is 5'11" and change to 6'. Why I don't know. I guess it's the preposterous obsession with WR height.

Johnny Z said:
Harrison is not 6'0". The Colts just say that.

Most teams will elevate any player who is 5'11" and change to 6'. Why I don't know. I guess it's the preposterous obsession with WR height.
My old roomates friend who is obsessed with the Colts would always rip on me because Marvin ran a fade on us last year for a TD and it worked. He always laughed about how marvin was short. I believe he said 5'9 or 5'10

this lunatic was probably right

I'm not a numbers guy, but i'm in the "pay him" camp.
I love a good deal as much as the next guy, but sometimes you gotta pay retail. I'm not saying break the bank, but if we need to give him a little more than we'd like, so be it. Do we really want a big personnel turnover at WR EVERY year? Of course, BB & company may not have as high of an opinion of Branch as I do. But that's the rub now, is'nt it?

CrazyDave said:
I'm not a numbers guy, but i'm in the "pay him" camp.
I love a good deal as much as the next guy, but sometimes you gotta pay retail. I'm not saying break the bank, but if we need to give him a little more than we'd like, so be it. Do we really want a big personnel turnover at WR EVERY year? Of course, BB & company may not have as high of an opinion of Branch as I do. But that's the rub now, is'nt it?
Well if he demands wayne money im torn between 2 things.

I would say trade him, but you cannot ignore his playoff performances. They were great. I didn't realize how great they were till i read another Deion Branch thread a couple days ago where yardage and catches were written down.

So if we traded him i would only want it if it was for the WR and 2nd or 3rd round pick deal. But i really would just rather have us resign him.

I cannot see why Belichick will pay him ANY additional money this year. Especially from what he already has done.

Seymour DID do this last season...

BUT...

Seymour is 1 of the best dlinemen in the NFL.

So, what Deion Branch is doing...is basically what Javon Walker was doing in Peckerland.

Really not much difference.

See you later twiggy...

Time to let the rookie Jackson and others shine.

Ben Watson...now is your time to ROCK'N'ROLL!!!!

Last edited:
Keegs said:
I am asking if he is worth it or if he'll get it.

No and not from the Pats.

I like Branch and IMO, he a legit #1, but I'd rather have Branch for one more year rather than not have the cap space to retain players on defense in the next 2-3 years. Besides, in 2007, Chad will no longer be a rookie.

you are comparing a free agent negotiating with many clubs to a player with a contract for a year...NO WAY should he be given Wayne money at this point..simple..What FTWilliams has said about negotiating now is so true..AND he is playing without an injury risk..this season if the contract is in hand...BUT NO..if he wishes Wayne money now?? NO way...

I have a question. In assessing Branch's "value", does years in system factor in? And if so, how much. They say rookie WR's have a steep learning curve, would this be true as well with FA's?
In comparing Branch to say...Wayne, say for instance you rate Branch an 8, and Wayne a 9. Just an example. Do you narrow the gap between them because of expierience and familiarity with the playbook/system? Too much turnover at this position can't be a good thing.

Well, Wayne has played with manning how long? How productive would he be with a new team? How good were Moss's numbers when he switched teams?
Not paying Branc now, with all this money laying around might really mess up his attitude.

huskeralk said:

I agree with you on this. I feel if Branch was in Waynes place on that offense, he would do as well. Wayne has Harrison on the other side taking double and triple coverage all the time.

Displaced - Fan said:
I agree with you on this. I feel if Branch was in Waynes place on that offense, he would do as well. Wayne has Harrison on the other side taking double and triple coverage all the time.
I'm leaning in this direction as well.

Thats the other thing everyone is ignoring.
We have the cap room. I just dont understand why you would not want to pay a good player what he is worth if it will not negatively impact your cap.
And its not a case where we are in bad cap shape going forward either.

Doesnt make much sense to pay Brady what we pay him, expect to compete for Championships, and want to have him throw to only rookies, marginal veterans and TEs.

The beauty of the Patriot system is this:

By drafting so well, we have players in their rookie contract that are worth much more than their cap #. By refusing to get caught up in paying older players for past performance and only paying for expected future performance, we eliminate large cap numbers for ineffective players on the downside of their career.
It escapes me how rarely anyone draws the connection that the benefit of this is to be able to pay more players big money (the right ones) under the cap.
In other words, if our top players are made up of many players in cheap rookie contracts and no players overpaid because they are declining, we have more cap room available outside of that than other teams who do not do that. What do you do with that money? You can afford more good players. I cannot understand why we would not use that benefit to lock up our best WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes