PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Brady's arm too strong? Total speculation and a wild guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
aw_jeez_not_this_stuff_again.jpg

.....​

:)

lmao good one :)

I dont think this thread is as stupid as everyone thinks, I think the OP's theory is like a pitcher that has too much rest and he comes out throwing hard and overthrows. That said, I dont think thats the problem, he needs to get his timing down.

Totally agree with you. The pitching analogy works when it comes to timing...not so much with the notion that Brady is too strong (like when a sinkerball pitcher doesn't get enough work and the ball doesn't sink).

The people paying attention to Brady's stride leg are the ones who are over-analyzing. His mechanics are as picture-perfect as they were in 2007. The picture burned in people's minds is the play where he got hurt. That was an abnormal stride for him since he was trying to throw a laser deep down the field. If that was his normal stride, his delivery would be as slow as Byron Leftwich.

He is planting fine, transferring his weight quickly over to his stride leg, throwing over the top, rotating his hips so he is facing his target when he throws and ending up with his throwing hand consistently in his left pocket. Go look at highlights from 2007 and compare them to this year. Not a bit of difference (some throws in the Jets game aside).

Brady is still dialing in the pace on his throws (a skill that can atrophy over a year of inactivity) and probably still is getting his eyes, brain and the rest of his body on the same page at real game speed. I've seen nothing so far that indicates he isn't getting better with every snap. The lob throw to Watson. The sideline throws to Moss, one of which was a key 4th down (how sick was that throw and catch?). Moving in the pocket and spotting Baker on an improvised route.

Not sure that Brady is too strong right now. Hopefully he will make the Pats too strong in the near future.

Tough thread NUT - it's OK...I get where you were going buddy, we'll let it slide :itsok:

I dont think this thread is as stupid as everyone thinks, I think the OP's theory is like a pitcher that has too much rest and he comes out throwing hard and overthrows. That said, I dont think thats the problem, he needs to get his timing down.

I agree. There is a difference between being pain free and in game shape. Brady may be pain free but he is not really in game shape yet.

I would have done better in school, but I was too smart.

I would have done better in school, but I was too smart.

Welker would not be injured so much ... if he learns to slow down.

I really started this thread as a parody of some other threads. But I would be lying if the thought of Brady's arm strength did not cross my mind for a fleeting second while watching the game.

And the reason that I even had this thought was because of my own recent experience. Last Nov I fell and severely broke my shoulder. 20% of the joint bone was broken off and had to put back with a plate and screws by a major should surgery. Also, it was a 5th degree dislocation with the rotor cuff torn in 2 places.

The doctor told me that I might not be able to play golf again. I rehabbed the hell out of it, to the point that I had to cut back because it was overworked. But not only am I able to play golf a gain but I'm driving the ball longer and better than I did before.

A young pro athlete would be rehabbing much more than I did. And working hard on more than just the injured area. But I do agree it's mechanics and timing more than arm strength that is causing the missed throws.

They just have to let a little of the helium out of the ball, or turn up the gravity generator.

I really started this thread as a parody of some other threads. But I would be lying if the thought of Brady's arm strength did not cross my mind for a fleeting second while watching the game.

And the reason that I even had this thought was because of my own recent experience. Last Nov I fell and severely broke my shoulder. 20% of the joint bone was broken off and had to put back with a plate and screws by a major should surgery. Also, it was a 5th degree dislocation with the rotor cuff torn in 2 places.

The doctor told me that I might not be able to play golf again. I rehabbed the hell out of it, to the point that I had to cut back because it was overworked. But not only am I able to play golf a gain but I'm driving the ball longer and better than I did before.

A young pro athlete would be rehabbing much more than I did. And working hard on more than just the injured area. But I do agree it's mechanics and timing more than arm strength that is causing the missed throws.

Actually I think his mechanics and timing have less to do with it than his OL and receivers inconsistent execution. All Qb's sail throws, over throw, underthrow in the course of a game. Sometimes I feel like people here don't watch any games but ours. What it really likely is is they watch ours so intently they lose perspective when we win and if we lose they go off the deep end entirely. I guarantee you more misses here are on the WR than the QB even still...

I think Tom was essentially back after the 2 TD drive. His mechanics aren't perfect, and he is a perfectionist which accounts for his accuracy, but I think that has more to do with pressing now because he's either under tremendous pressure (which effects them all) or his money throws are too often going for naught... I think it was that building frustration that resulted in his little implosion heading into halftime last week. He had enough on his plate without having to babysit the rest of them heading into this season.

I don't think his arm is too strong. Thats not a problem in football. You can always throw the ball softer. <g> I have to agree with the commentators. My layman's opinion is that he is arming the ball too much and throwing off his back foot too often.

I could be wrong though - I am not a QB coach and don't have film to compare with in slow motion with frame by frame analysis on the exact same throws. But it LOOKS like he is arming it. This happens sometimes as QB's have no choice. But right now it looks like a bit of a bad habit.

Pete

Brady hasn't been himself but I've seen glimpses in all the games so far as he gets more comfortable I think his accuracy comes back soon, as for his mechanics I have seen both bad and good. We all know Brady will get this corrected shortly. One thing that hasn't really changed is his ability to move in the pocket he still looks great with his pocket scramblin, he creates alot of extra time with his sidesteps as soon as he gets his touch back those adrenaline overthrows will turn into big plays.

he is both making the throws too soon which cause the overthrows down field and is letting go of the ball too soon which casuse the ball to go too high on the shorter throws

he is rushing it a bit but is getting closer to the right timing with more frequency with each game

Last edited:

Must scare the hell outta the other folks at the mini-putt, eh? ;)

I think I remember you posting about your accident. Just to keep the derailment going, do you have any other limitations (current or expected) as a result of the procedure?

I will say this: this week would be the PERFECT time to see a jump in Brady's mechanical corrections.

In fact, I'll wager the rights to your sister that Galloway gets his first TD this week. Surely it's not gonna be all TE's and RB's for TD's this year.

Actually I think his mechanics and timing have less to do with it than his OL and receivers inconsistent execution. All Qb's sail throws, over throw, underthrow in the course of a game. Sometimes I feel like people here don't watch any games but ours. What it really likely is is they watch ours so intently they lose perspective when we win and if we lose they go off the deep end entirely. I guarantee you more misses here are on the WR than the QB even still...

I think Tom was essentially back after the 2 TD drive. His mechanics aren't perfect, and he is a perfectionist which accounts for his accuracy, but I think that has more to do with pressing now because he's either under tremendous pressure (which effects them all) or his money throws are too often going for naught... I think it was that building frustration that resulted in his little implosion heading into halftime last week. He had enough on his plate without having to babysit the rest of them heading into this season.

He doesn't seem to be as fluid moving around the pocket. I didn't see the Jets game. However, watching NFL Replay yesterday showed the "pressure" on Collins on Sunday was vastly overrated.

The TD pass to Baker was interesting. A fully loaded TB would have moved up in the pocket. However, the less fluid TB was "under pressure".

Also, much of the "pressure" the Bills put on was in the 4-5 second range.

Perhaps this has to do with new receivers and general atrophy from not playing for 80 weeks and not having #83.

I am not worried about Brady at all, because his mobility has looked great. I was worried Brady was going to end up like Culpepper or Palmer post injury. Everyone talks about Carson Palmer's stats after the injury-and they say his stats are good--I don't think stats tell the whole story here. Quite simply, Palmer doesn't look like the same qb he was in 2005--there is LESS zip on his throws because he isn't able to step up with the left foot in the pocket as much. Has anyone noticed Palmer's intermediate throws taking forever to get to their destination? It is sad to see this because he had a chance to be an amazing qb. So far(thank GOD!) Brady is able to get amazing zip on his throws and he has the same mobility he had before the injury. I am ecstatic with Brady's health. I hope the shoulder after the Haynesworth hit is still okay:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, Brady's "rustiness" has been greatly exaggerated. The offensive timing is off - but Brady's pocket presence hasn't. If anything is bothering him, it's probably the shoulder, which could explain the overthrows on the deep balls on Sunday. We saw no inaccuracy in the preseason or in training camp, so to suddenly see him airmail a few seems odd.

Must scare the hell outta the other folks at the mini-putt, eh? ;)

I think I remember you posting about your accident. Just to keep the derailment going, do you have any other limitations (current or expected) as a result of the procedure?

Yes. I have trouble doing anything that is up above my head and probably always will. My jump shot is gone.:rofl:

I was really thrilled to be able to play golf. I asked my surgeon if he could do something small to my other shoulder to help my short game and putting. He asked me to leave his office.:D

God forgive me for starting this thread and I deserve to be punished.

However we have all noticed that Brady has been over throwing and he seems to throwing rockets with little touch. The pass to Endelman in the Jets game is an example but that is one of many that I recall.

Now he had last year to rehab and probably worked on his upper body while the knee was immobile. Could he be just too strong this year in the upper body and has to learn how to throw with the stronger arm?

Just a thought and an observation. Now remember the rules - no swearing and no name calling. Discuss or flame but be gentle!

BTw, I already rated this thread one star.
i think on a couple passes in his comeback from surgery, he's tried to overcompensate for the few times he's not stepped into some throws and left some short (rivers still does this too) and it creates some overthrown passes

he's still feeling the game out post surgery

and going 2-1 while getting re-acclimated to the speed of the game, and his post surgery knee, is pretty good, he's just not playing up to his high standard yet

Last edited:

Yes....throw in a vintage Brady 2003 video after his shoulder was messed up and he did not look like the 2007 Brady, but we still won games.

Brady is the least of our concerns. 5 or 6 bad throws is a perfect game for many QBs, even those that have won a couple superbowls recently...

The reason Brady sometimes throws the ball before WRs are out of their route, as somebody observed, is likely because that is a timing route...which depends on the WR to have proper timing (or Brady will get angry). :)

I think Brady was off just enough in the Jets game to raise concerns temporarily perhaps (Not me, I thought he played pretty poised) but he is settling down and the season is young. Hope he can start a little quicker next week and be able to depend more on his timing routes with WRs to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back