• No, but has a great chance to be when he is done

Votes: 37 68.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan24

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If Brady retired today would he be the best ever?

At the moment, I would put Joe Montana as the best that I have seen. The guy had ice in his veins and just always seemed to do the right thing. What is certain is that Brady is very close behind him. That final drive against the Rams astounded me. I'm going to be honest here and admit that, like Madden, I would have gone for overtime.
It would be difficult to judge him and others until they have retired.The beauty of sport is the uncertainty. It is conceivable that the Colts may win 3 SBs in five years and then we would judge Manning differently.

i voted option n.3

and i think he will be

i feel he can win still some other Super Bowls and i'm not saying it as i'm a fan of the Patriots but because i really feel it

Games played like what you are about to see today is the reason why he will go down in the books as the Greatest of All Time!!

He had the "look" of a champion all week and is about to go out and show everyone why.

If he retired today, he would be right up there. However he will win 6 Superbowls before he retires and then he will undoubtably be #1 :)

At the moment, I would put Joe Montana as the best that I have seen. The guy had ice in his veins and just always seemed to do the right thing. What is certain is that Brady is very close behind him. That final drive against the Rams astounded me. I'm going to be honest here and admit that, like Madden, I would have gone for overtime.
It would be difficult to judge him and others until they have retired.The beauty of sport is the uncertainty. It is conceivable that the Colts may win 3 SBs in five years and then we would judge Manning differently.
Another thing about Montana is that he was fast and could tuck it away on a long run once in a while. The talk wasn't always that #1 priority was that they had to protect Joe or the 49ers would lose. I know he did get hurt badly on a sack by the Giants and needed back surgery, losing a season. I think Tom needs 2 more SB wins to surpass Joe. I hope he does just that, but there are 31 other teams that want the same thing. I voted no, never does. Hated to, but, call it a "business decision".

Imagine Brady with Jerry Rice and Clarke? OMFG!

Yeah, he would have so much fun with those two, or even John Taylor. He was pretty decent. The whole offence just clicked from a good O Line, to a functional (but not brilliant) running game ans a good tight end in Brent Jones. Let's not also forget how good their D was.
I'll never forget Lewis Bilups dropping the pick at the end. I think there is sometimes a point in sports when the other side dominates so much psychologically that you don't believe your luck when chances come your way. There was an inevitability about the 49ers scoring that has rarely been seen since.

Do you mean John Taylor? Oh, you mean Dwight Clark. Actually, you can just as easily say that Joe Montana and Steve Young made Jerry Rice what he was. Before Rice, Montana made Freddy Solomon and Dwight Clark look like all pros. Solomon had been just average with Miami and Clark retired after the 9ers cut him.

Any "best ever" QB discussion includes Blanda, Graham, Montana and Unitas (not to mention old timers Baugh, Conzelman and Luckman). So, IMO, he's earned the right to be mentioned in the same breath as those guys (a lifetime achievement itself), but he has to produce at a high level for a few more seasons and match Montana's three SB MVP's by winning a fourth Ring himself (then, he will join Bradshaw as the only QB to win four SB's and Montana as the only one with four rings and three SB MVP's) to make the case that he goes to the head of the class. But, "among the best ever," yes. And, that's a big deal.

It's really impossible to compare players of different eras and decide that one is better than another. So, I would add "of his era" to any evaluation.

I remember once, when I was in high school, watching Dante Lavelli running down the sidelines during a Lions-Browns game, a defender chasing him, and, without looking back at Otto Graham, holding his arms up in receiving position, while the ball simply floated right into them. He scored, of course.

He knew where the ball would be coming down and Graham knew when he would be holding up his arms. I guess that can come from practice, but from the stands, it seemed practically psychic.

If he retired today, he would be right up there. However he will win 6 Superbowls before he retires and then he will undoubtably be #1 :)

What, are you suggesting that my signature name needs revamping? :D

ESPN showing some good Brady highlights since coming into league..the postseason

and guess who always made the big catch..dgod damn why did u have to go

It's really impossible to compare players of different eras and decide that one is better than another. So, I would add "of his era" to any evaluation.

I remember once, when I was in high school, watching Dante Lavelli running down the sidelines during a Lions-Browns game, a defender chasing him, and, without looking back at Otto Graham, holding his arms up in receiving position, while the ball simply floated right into them. He scored, of course.

He knew where the ball would be coming down and Graham knew when he would be holding up his arms. I guess that can come from practice, but from the stands, it seemed practically psychic.

But that is the thing about Brady, he is a true throw back player, and looks more like the old school QB that just got the job done. It wasn't until Marino and Manning that QB's became judged by irrelevant factors like how many TDs you throw against the Texans.

QBs used to be about winning the game, and that is what Brady does. They are now about 'fantasy' stats, whether you are playing a good defense, like the Pats usually do in their division, or a crap defense, like Horseface normally does in his division.

Ironic that Manning is recognized for a year in which NaPolian changed the rules of the game, and defenses didn't know what to do, whereas Brady is recognized as THE GUY to play on any given Sunday if your goal is to win.

Ironically, it is Brady that resembles the Johnny Unitas of old, that the Dolts hold so dear to their heart.

By the way, I think until proven otherwise, Otto Graham was the BEST. Unfortunately, in this fantasyworld of modern football, people don't even know his name because he didn't throw a gazillion TDs against the Texans. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes