PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is "Bear Down" the motto for the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to find out if Tedy or a teamate wrote those words on his cast. Obviously it's self explanatory but is it a matter of perhaps last year's team not having the focus they come to expect in Foxboro? A renewed committment like the 03/04 teams? It'll be interesting to see who gets the story.

PatsRI said:
It'll be interesting to find out if Tedy or a teamate wrote those words on his cast. Obviously it's self explanatory but is it a matter of perhaps last year's team not having the focus they come to expect in Foxboro? A renewed committment like the 03/04 teams? It'll be interesting to see who gets the story.

'Bear down' is the motto of the U of AZ.

Clonamery said:

You beat me to it. Some quarterback, if I remember correctly, who had cancer or some terminal disease. As he was dying, his words of encouragement to the team was "bear down", as in "don't worry about me, worry about our next opponent." He died later that season and the motto still permeates Arizona athletics.

I believe Bruschi would have been a teammate.

EDIT: Jeebus, I was so wrong it wasn't funny. My roommate in college was from Tucson, and I must have been out of my skull when he told me the story. I may have gotten him confused with Colorado's Sal Aunese right around that time. Read on:

The battle cry was created in 1926 by a popular student athlete, John "Button" Salmon. Salmon was the student body president, as well as the starting quarterback for the Wildcat football team and the catcher for the Wildcat baseball team.

The day after the first game of the 1926 football season, Salmon and three friends were involved in an automobile accident, in which their vehicle flipped over in a ravine. Although Salmon's friends were not injured, Salmon suffered a severe spinal cord injury. In the aftermath of the accident, football coach Pop McKale visited him in the hospital every day. During McKale's last visit, Salmon's last message to his teammates was, "Tell them...tell the team to bear down." John Salmon died on October 18, 1926.

The following year, the University of Arizona student body approved that "Bear Down" would be the new slogan for all Wildcat athletic teams. In 1939, the Arizona state legislature issued a decree that "Bear Down" would be the exclusive property of the University of Arizona.

Last edited:
Well, the New England Patriots are playing the Chicago Bears this season.

dryheat44 said:
You beat me to it. Some quarterback, if I remember correctly, who had cancer or some terminal disease. As he was dying, his words of encouragement to the team was "bear down", as in "don't worry about me, worry about our next opponent." He died later that season and the motto still permeates Arizona athletics.

I believe Bruschi would have been a teammate.

EDIT: Jeebus, I was so wrong it wasn't funny. My roommate in college was from Tucson, and I must have been out of my skull when he told me the story. I may have gotten him confused with Colorado's Sal Aunese right around that time. Read on:

The battle cry was created in 1926 by a popular student athlete, John "Button" Salmon. Salmon was the student body president, as well as the starting quarterback for the Wildcat football team and the catcher for the Wildcat baseball team.

The day after the first game of the 1926 football season, Salmon and three friends were involved in an automobile accident, in which their vehicle flipped over in a ravine. Although Salmon's friends were not injured, Salmon suffered a severe spinal cord injury. In the aftermath of the accident, football coach Pop McKale visited him in the hospital every day. During McKale's last visit, Salmon's last message to his teammates was, "Tell them...tell the team to bear down." John Salmon died on October 18, 1926.

The following year, the University of Arizona student body approved that "Bear Down" would be the new slogan for all Wildcat athletic teams. In 1939, the Arizona state legislature issued a decree that "Bear Down" would be the exclusive property of the University of Arizona.

Excellent story. I knew the phrase because my best friend's brother went to U of AZ at the same time Tedy did and is a big fan of his obviously but can't quite get over being a Jests fan.

My motto right now is Beer down.

Re: Is "Bare Down" the motto for the year?

They are also words to live by according to the actions of the drunken nude Lion's coach!!

Clonamery said:

Funny, I didn't think bears were indigenous to Arizona?

I'm still trying to figure out what Dillion's three letters means!

ATippett56 said:
Funny, I didn't think bears were indigenous to Arizona?

I don't know if you can eat them or not.

I'm just glad that kid's dying words weren't, 'Salmon Up!'

PatsChick87 said:
I'm still trying to figure out what Dillion's three letters means!

A Fraternity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back