PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is BB launching the next big thing in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
One little tidbit from Aaron Schatz via Peter King's column this morning:

4. I think this is one very good reason I follow what Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders says, and learn from him: His analysis of every offensive snap in the NFL last season revealed that the Patriots ran plays with two tight ends or more on the field 57 percent of the time last season ... and no other team in football was over 40 percent.

Thoughts?

Read more: 2011 NFL Draft week begins with uncertainty at the top - Peter King - SI.com

Thoughts?

Read more: 2011 NFL Draft week begins with uncertainty at the top - Peter King - SI.com

When you strike GOLD with two tremendous and talented TEs like Gronk and Hernandez,you can do anything you want with a double TE set.

Not many teams have 2 top caliber TEs like we do and if they did,they would not be as productive without a HOF QB behind center making plays.

Thats why we don't see it as much from the other teams.

Not to mention that we never really had a downfield threat last season so the two TE formation was critical in moving the ball downfield

Last edited:
Not many teams have a TE trio like the Patriots combined with the very weak WR corps of the Patriots, so I don't think it's really something that will transfer league wide.

Alge Gronkandez

The NFL is a copycat league, but I hope not. I really don't want by the time Gronkowski and Hernandez become free agents that most of the league have turned into a 2 TE set league. That will make it impossible to keep both or possibly either of them.

As we saw last year,the biggest problem in keeping two TE sets on the field for over 50% of snaps is not solely based on talent but injury as well.

We can only hope Hernandez hip has recovered fully and Gronk keeps himself away from Mr. IR

As we saw last year,the biggest problem in keeping two TE sets on the field for over 50% of snaps is not solely based on talent but injury as well.

We can only hope Hernandez hip has recovered fully and Gronk keeps himself away from Mr. IR

Yup. It's great idea when you have the talent, but the "X" factor is always the injury.

Injuries can happen if you play only one play a game. Belichick comes from the school of the two TE set and it was Weis who moved away from it although Belichick has been trying to go back to it forever. If a guy like Ben Coates could be on the field for most plays running routes where he was getting hit by two and three defenders on a regular basis for a decade, I think you might be overstating injuries especially when Hernandez lines up off the line quite a bit and runs routes that are usually run by WR (ala Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez).

If a guy like Ben Coates could be on the field for most plays running routes where he was pushing off of two and three defenders on a regular basis for a decade,
Fixed it for you.

Just joking, people! Just joking! :D (Well only sort of just joking :D).

Thoughts?

that's been the plan for years, unfortunately, the Dan Graham, Ben Watson et al did not work out.

Gronk is better because he's a big solid blocker and dependable receiver. He's not a killer blocker, stone hands, or a looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

He and Crumpler and Hernandez offer multiple matchup problems for defenses. Hopefully we can find another smart blocking tight end when Crumpler hangs them up.

the funny thing is that BB actually said in the offseason last year that he expected teams to revert to more of a power running game (or some variant of one), which would be in response to defenses becoming lighter in order to combat spread offenses. Lighter defensive ends being drafted and more emphasis on quality DB's. I can only suppose he divulged this information because he felt he was stating the obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back