PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Ashworth worth what Seattle paid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I see alot of you say that Givens isn't worth $5M a season, and 34 year old Willie Mac is not worth $4M per season, I agree. But should the Patriots have matched the reported 5 year $13.5M ($4.5M in 2006 w/ the bonus) for Tom Ashworth!

I am undecided, but am interested in what you all think.

I think of it this way. Is Tom Ashworth worth what he was paid by Seattle? Yes. But think of how he came along here. He was a UDFA, played a couple years in the system before seeing any time, and then played well. We have a line that goes about 7 men deep right now, add one FA and maybe either a draft pick or someone from the PS (like Ashworth did) and we have our 9. So I think for us it wouldn't have made sense to pay him that, even though he is worth it, because we can do just as well without spending that money.

Looks like the Seahawks want a starter and paid him as such. I like to pull for the guy who does better than anyone expects and Ash did that here. Best of Luck to him and I wouldn't mind facing him next year in the SB.

Last edited:
Sure, why not. He has rings. A loss to us? Depthwise yes, but replaceable.

Me, I wouldn't have paid Ashworth $2.7M a year, including $4.5M in 2006 if we didn't have Light and Kaycur; but that's just me. Maybe I like the way we pay our OL's, but I'd rather have Gorin at $0.7M than Ashworth at $2.7M and use the money elsewhere, perhaps on a 1st or 2nd round OT. In addition, Ashworth has had injuries. Personally, I don't think that Ashworth is close to being worth that kind of money.

Bostonian1962 said:
I see alot of you say that Givens isn't worth $5M a season, and 34 year old Willie Mac is not worth $4M per season, I agree. But should the Patriots have matched the reported 5 year $13.5M ($4.5M in 2006 w/ the bonus) for Tom Ashworth!

I am undecided, but am interested in what you all think.

Is Ashworth worth what Seattle paid?

To Seattle, apparently. To us, no.

Last edited:
Belichick is assembling a line that is more mobile than past years. Athletic big men capable of getting out and blocking beyond the line. Ashworth was better than good for what we paid him before . But, I didn't see him as a fixture on this line...even as a backup he doesn't fit the mold Belichick is trying to form.

I believe Belichick wants a line that he can expand upon Weiss's playbook.

Last edited:
I'm shocked by the responses in this thread. The Seahawks overpaid by a LOT for Ashworth. He's not nearly worth that deal. But I sure am happy for him. Good guy, thanks for the help, but you were fairly bad last year.

Digger44 said:
Sure, why not. He has rings.
So ? Lots of Patriots do, that doesn't make them worth millions. Don Davis for example ?

Ashworth (and Gorin) needed to be replaced at RT and hopefully Kaczur will do it with Light's return. The answer to the question ? Hell no.

A proven swing tackle who can play G, sure he's worth it. Did NE need him at that price, not with our current roster and the chance to get similar ability cheaper through the draft.

I think Ashworth is worth $5 million.

That's what I would have paid him to leave.

The way he left Brady open on that Bailey INT, I would have a very hard time ever rooting for him again. He's up there with Buckner for me.

I get the feeling that players are only worth what the Patriots are willing to pay them.

Some GREAT ... punchy ... replies above.

(But, upstater, you sound like one vindictive dude. Y'know, attitudes like yours sent poor Bill B.,
a near .300 hitter lifetime ... to seek asylum in Idaho,
for pity's sake!)
I may be perverse and out-of-step in this ...

but i wish Ash had signed that deal with Miami!

Part of pro football is dueling f/o's. If we think he ain't worth the tab, then

let the other guy sign him and burn up cap space,

no longer available for someone else.

In-conference, si ... div foes, still better!

To me, Ashworth is a borderline starter. In 2003 he was a big part of our line. In 2005, he was below average. I was shocked that Seattle, clearly desperate in the wake of the Hutchinson deal, overpaid Ashworth and not Neal.

O.K., I've read all the responses, chewed on them, put them up on charts and graphs, and have come to the conclusion that Tommy Ashworth was not worth to money to re-sign.

Nice guy! Good commercials. But an oft-injured, former UDFA that should be chewing (that's the second time I've used a form of the word "chew" in one post - a new record for me) up cap space elsewhere.

PatsSteve1 said:
I get the feeling that players are only worth what the Patriots are willing to pay them.

I think you've put your finger on the principle that can also be applied to Vinatieri, McGinest, Givens, (Law, Milloy, Bledsoe,) etc., etc.

I am not normally vindictive, and I understood that it wasn't Buckner's fault because the game had already been tied up by horrible errors before that.

But...after the Denver game I realized I was one of the very few on this board who watched the line on the Bailey INT replay. I'm telling you, Tom Ashworth turned around our entire season...for the worse. Yeah, he might be a great guy, but the fact is, I'm not looking to make any friends. This is a sport, a past time, I don't live and die with it. When a player effs up royally, then I'm going to mention it. If I knew the man personally, of course I'd forgive him (unless I were Tom Brady). But I'm a fan. I get to say things like this.

Just do me a favor. Get a hold of a replay of that play and watch Ashworth closely. I kid you not when I say you could have done a better job. If you were in their for Ashworth, the Patriots would have won the Super Bowl.

I don't doubt he's worth that to another team. He brings with him the credibiltiy of the organization and the work ethic that coaches hope will "infect" other players on the line.

Much in the same way Romeo overpaid for Andruzzi...

He is certainly not worth that much money to the Patriots. We'll promote a good lineman to replace him at half the cost, turn him into a great one and then he too will leave once another team overpays him.

Meanwhile we'll use the cost savings to re-sign elite players like Seymour while spreading the rest to the high quality middle class players - who we will promote into starting spots when injury or free agency deplete our roster

See how the system works? :)

upstater1 said:
I am not normally vindictive, and I understood that it wasn't Buckner's fault because the game had already been tied up by horrible errors before that.

But...after the Denver game I realized I was one of the very few on this board who watched the line on the Bailey INT replay. I'm telling you, Tom Ashworth turned around our entire season...for the worse. Yeah, he might be a great guy, but the fact is, I'm not looking to make any friends. This is a sport, a past time, I don't live and die with it. When a player effs up royally, then I'm going to mention it. If I knew the man personally, of course I'd forgive him (unless I were Tom Brady). But I'm a fan. I get to say things like this.

Just do me a favor. Get a hold of a replay of that play and watch Ashworth closely. I kid you not when I say you could have done a better job. If you were in their for Ashworth, the Patriots would have won the Super Bowl.

Maybe on that one play, but what about the other 56 offensive plays. Get a life!

Yes, he misread the rush. Looks like he thought they would be blitzing from the outside. But that in "itself" did not cause the INT. I have seen Brady make great throws while getting hit, knocked down, and rushed, and in this case he made a poor throw and decision. He tried to force something that wasn't there. That is what makes Brady a great QB, but it bit him that time.

If you seriously think this turned the entire season... for the worse, then you frankly didn't watch the entire year.

shakadave said:
I think you've put your finger on the principle that can also be applied to Vinatieri, McGinest, Givens, (Law, Milloy, Bledsoe,) etc., etc.

You seem to be one of the more reasonable.

It seems we have people that believe all of the Pats problems last year come down to a player or two. IMO, we have 2 maybe 3 players who are "irreplacable". The rest are all JAGs, which every team has plenty of. The physical talent level is miniscule between teams, and those that win are the ones who avoid injuries, turnovers, and play smart (and a little luck).

BB will never pay lineman what some other teams will. He feels he can accomplish his goals using middle to late round picks, even non drafted players. With that said, I would bet Koppen and Light will not sign another contract here. They will be replaced with younger, less expensive players.

So, back to the thread ???? No one (on this thread) knows if Ashworth will be worth his contract to Seattle. I would even say no one knows if Andruzzi is or was worth his contract at Cleveland, because no one on this thread knows his assignments, and probably didn't watch any of his games, and quite frankly, doesn't know when he is successful on a play and when he isn't. What does a player bring to lockerroom in intangibles???

It's amazing to me how some people always blame the lineman when a mistake is made, even when they have no idea what that linemans assignment was. Performing well for 50-65 plays means nothing when you miss one block that causes a sack. And don't consider the fact that the other team pays it's players and coaches too, "our players are supposed to be perfect".

With 53 players on a roster, and around a $100 million to spend, I would think any starter (and the Seahawks think Ash will start) would be paid above the average of around $1.9 mil, which his deal is $2.6 average over 5 years. Will this be a bargain in 3 or 4 years?? We will see.

And next year Gorin will be the whippin boy because every team needs one, even though he earns a paltry $700K (which we all know is way too much, lol).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey