Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Asante Worth $7.79 million

• Yes, he's an ELITE CB who deserves every penny.

Votes: 46 43.8%
  • No. He's good, but not worth $7.79 Million.

Votes: 54 51.4%
  • No way. Asante is a glorified #2 CB who only benefited from the Pats coverage schemes.

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's all the Randall Gay is just as good as Asante people at? Come on people are we that envyious of others that we think just because Gay is cheaper he still is better? There's a reason Gay was undrafted. Yeah every now and then one slips through the cracks but a simple minded scout could see Gay is not in Asante's league. Just look at the Phily game tape. Gay was the nickle getting torched on the slants so bad AD had to consult him after the go ahead TD for the Eagles. Asante took away the outside like the game plan required.
PT55

What's funny is all the people who think the world of BB and Pioli calling them geniuses then have the nerve to turn around when BB and Pioli feel Asante is worth the 1 year tender of 7.79 mil, they have the nerve to question this mans value to the team when management obviously feels his value is worth the tender. You could tell people who don't manage other people on there jobs by the way they argue the value of other people. If your one of the best at what you do, may all of us get paid just compensation for our labor. :(
PT55

Where's all the Randall Gay is just as good as Asante people at? Come on people are we that envyious of others that we think just because Gay is cheaper he still is better? There's a reason Gay was undrafted. Yeah every now and then one slips through the cracks but a simple minded scout could see Gay is not in Asante's league. Just look at the Phily game tape. Gay was the nickle getting torched on the slants so bad AD had to consult him after the go ahead TD for the Eagles. Asante took away the outside like the game plan required.
PT55

Who ever said that Gay is as good as Samuel? I was probably Blue's biggest backer and I never once said that.

I still like Blue, but he has not done nearly was well as I thought he would. Teams are starting to target him and he isn't making them pay, with the exception of the int against Buffalo.

Edit: Oh, and calling out people for being wrong about a topic that you never contributed to is not exactly good taste.

Last edited:
Who ever said that Gay is as good as Samuel? I was probably Blue's biggest backer and I never once said that.

I still like Blue, but he has not done nearly was well as I thought he would. Teams are starting to target him and he isn't making them pay, with the exception of the int against Buffalo.

Edit: Oh, and calling out people for being wrong about a topic that you never contributed to is not exactly good taste.

And I never accused you either. I like Blue as well but as a back-up/nickle corner.

Also, I've been on this board before and had many discussions with fellow Pats fans about this very subject so I feel I have an open forum. By the way I understand your a veteran to this board and I know you pretty good but all the posts I've read over the years and responded to as well, so just so you know I'm not really a newbie I've been here for a few years now I just don't post very often due to all the travelling I've done over the last couple years.
But the way nice to here from you and I hope your Thanksgiving went well.
PT55

Good to see that I voted correctly on this thread -- Asante is an elite QB who deserves every penny. If there was any doubt, the Eagles game proves it.

And I never accused you either. I like Blue as well but as a back-up/nickle corner.

Also, I've been on this board before and had many discussions with fellow Pats fans about this very subject so I feel I have an open forum. By the way I understand your a veteran to this board and I know you pretty good but all the posts I've read over the years and responded to as well, so just so you know I'm not really a newbie I've been here for a few years now I just don't post very often due to all the travelling I've done over the last couple years.
But the way nice to here from you and I hope your Thanksgiving went well.
PT55

Thank you. I hope that your Thanksgiving went well too. Hopefully whatever you celebrate in December is even better.

My point about calling others out has nothing to do with number of posts, BTW. Post count is not positively correlated with intelligence. I just your criticism could have been a little more tactful.

Thank you. I hope that your Thanksgiving went well too. Hopefully whatever you celebrate in December is even better.

My point about calling others out has nothing to do with number of posts, BTW. Post count is not positively correlated with intelligence. I just your criticism could have been a little more tactful.

Same to you about Christmas.

Point taken my friend. I just wish we could debate the player and if he's right for the system and leave the financial terms out of it. I don't like when people seem to take it personal when athletes get paid to do what they do without ever going through or seeing what these men deal with on a daily basis to perform there jobs. You could just tell people who have never been in a position to understand what happens to these men and I really don't like Hypocrites really.
PT55

In the 4 years since Wilson and Samuel were drafted, the FO has drafted only one CB who can play: Hobbs (2 if UDFA Gay is included). The FO has painted itself into a corner by not having an adequate, less expensive replacement available. There is no excuse for a team with as many picks as the NEP have had over the last 4 years not to have at least 2 more CBs ready to assume a greater role. In todays pass-happy NFL, if you have at least 7 draft picks in a given year, one of those picks must be a CB (or a FS every 3rd year).

Unless the FO wants this back 8 to be worse next season than it already is this season, then it must strike a deal with Samuel. BB/SP simply have no other choice.

He's been worth every penny.
The problem is that he wants more than 7.79.
He wants 10M per year.
I'd have no problem with signing him to a 5-6 year deal at 8M per year but he's looking to CASH in.

In the 4 years since Wilson and Samuel were drafted, the FO has drafted only one CB who can play: Hobbs (2 if UDFA Gay is included). The FO has painted itself into a corner by not having an adequate, less expensive replacement available. There is no excuse for a team with as many picks as the NEP have had over the last 4 years not to have at least 2 more CBs ready to assume a greater role. In todays pass-happy NFL, if you have at least 7 draft picks in a given year, one of those picks must be a CB (or a FS every 3rd year).

Unless the FO wants this back 8 to be worse next season than it already is this season, then it must strike a deal with Samuel. BB/SP simply have no other choice.

You just hit the nail squarely on the head. The Pats have very little choice
but to give Asante what he wants. Sunday night's game showed that
the Pats have very little talent at cornerback other than Asante. It is
a myth that the Pats pass defense can succeed with fair to poor
cornerbacks. Sunday's game proved otherwise. Up to now, our offense
has controlled the ball so well that the defense wasn't tested.
The Pats have missed the boat in years past for not drafting and developing
both linebackers and cornerbacks.

The Pats have missed the boat in years past for not drafting and developing
both linebackers and cornerbacks.

Don't even get me started on the LBs.

Gay is ok.. that sounds kinda funny. He is an ok nickel back, this is an easily replaceable commodity. I think he will get a better offer elsewhere and the next servicabl;e player comes in and takes his spot (Jackson, Richardson, Draft Pick, Merriweather, veteran FA). The player may not be quite as good as Gay but it is doubtful there will be a big drop off.

Samuel is a different story, he provides defensive flexibility. Several times a game you can isolate him 1:1 with a top receiver and expect him to hold up.

This post reminded me of some of my finest work... last year I looked at all the starting CBs in the league and gave them a ranking, I also looked at their age and whether or not they were locked up long-term. Samuel was among the highest rated, youngest and one of the only ones who was available to me signed. I don't think he will be back, he deserves his money and maybe it works out with the Patriots. This could be one of the only times they lose a player they like in his prime.

--- reprint from August 07 -------------
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=486902&postcount=25

In the year 2007 I thought we would be beyond the "coaching up' theory. All good teams are good at developing their own talent Eagles, Steelers, Colts, Bears, Chargers, Ravens, etc. The Patriots have won Superbowls with very talented rosters, exceptional QB play and top notch game planning. Some of their talent they drafted, some of it was drafted for them and some it they signed as free agents.

CB Ratings - You can apply your own rating but Samuel would start on any team in the NFL and be a number 1 for most. My ratings of current CBs are attached, the point is not in how they are ranked but the very limited number who are available in free agency. Samuel is young, getting better and knows the system.

The front seven will help the secondary but it also comprised of a lot of old and/or injury prone players. IMO, the best defense in the Patriots run was the 2003 team. They had a great front seven and excellent cover corners (Law & Poole). Why not do the same this year with Hobbs and Samuel? Do any of us really want to see Tory James playing on critical downs?

Attachments

• 2007-04-8-league-CBs.zip
    13.2 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey