Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is anyone else sick of Allan Shawn Feinstein?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by JoeSixPat, Apr 29, 2006.

1. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

I just wanted to see if other RIers need to vent like I do... for those of you who don't know, Allan Shawn Feinstein made millions of dollars in direct mail - those irritating oversized postcards you get hawking products and other things

Laudably, he's given millions back to charity. However he's clearly not doing so out of the goodness of his heart. He's an ego maniac who demands that every charitable act he does be acknlowledged by having buildings named after him.

I'm sure he'd love to rename the entire state if he could.

The straw that broke this camel's back is his latest self congratulating billboard campaign.

Billboards all across the state proclaim the honorable theme "Service Before Self"

Unfortuantely they feature Allan Shawn Feinstein himself, putting Self Before Service by using the campaign to feature himself creepily hugging kids

Another classic Allan Shawn Feinstein move is his other billboards proclaiming "Blessed are those who help the hungry"

Nice thought, no? So who said that? Jesus? Buddah? Mohammed?

Apparently someone with the initials ASF according to the billboard.

(Oh by the way - do you know who helps the hungry? ASF - that's who... so he's basically paying thousands of dollars to remind everyone that "Blessed is ME because I help the hungry"

I'm sure in his mind he's rationalized his self promotion and naming of half the buildings in this state as somehow promoting the causes he gloms on to - but quite frankly, I find it sickening, and I think he sets the WORST example by teaching others to be charitable, NOT for the sake of being charitable - but only for one's own self promotion and self interest.

I'm thinking of buying my own billboard just down the road from ASF's house: "Blessed are those who show some humility".

Sorry for venting - any other RIers who have had just about enough of Allan Shawn Feinstein no matter HOW much money he gives to charity?

The crazy thing is I KNOW I can't be the only one who feels this way, but no one in the state will say "boo" to this guy simply because he's got a ton of money to spend.
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I never heard of Allan Shawn Feinstein but, it sounds like you're describing Bill Gates to me and I've been sick of him for decades. [​IMG]
  3. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Matthew 6:3. 'But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth.' 'nuff said.
  4. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

Mind if I quote you and Matt?
  5. dalero

dalero PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

He's annoying and an egomanic. His voice make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. But the real AntiChrist is Jim Sokolove.
  6. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

As far as I recall this work is not copyright and the original authors were very keen to have themselves quoted ... :D
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

I do not like his persona, but like what he does...him and his mother's name is all over the place higher education and all types of institutions..I don't know it is a ying and yang thing...I do think he could do it in a humbler fashion..
  8. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

I should probably keep my mouth shut like everyone else does - but it just really rubs me the wrong way

Charity should be for the sake of charity - not to satisfy an ego maniac's personae

Those billboards were really just the last straw for me - does he really not see the irony of a self-promoting billboard proclaiming that one should put "Service Before Self"?

He's got to be delusional if he can't see that himself.

He should take his own advice and maybe name buildings and institutions after true heroes who just didn't happen to have a few million dollars of direct mail profits to spend on self-promotion.
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +793 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

I thought that at one time...but now i think it's a brand name sort of thing. Like when he puts his name on it...you can bet there is 100% benefit. The funny thing is the dude was way sleazy how he made his money...

"who woulda thunk"

Where would Providence be without all his schools???
  10. dantanaka

dantanaka Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Alan Shawn Feinstein

Hey guys/gals:
    I understand that everyone has thier own opinion, has anyone investigated ASF and/or his Foundation? Has a objective, unbiased
    research ever been done?
    I'm from Hi, and I found some stuff I bought years ago. If I was
    taken, fine. But it is curious that he's still around if he's not legit.
    I was just wondering, love to hear from you.
    Aloha, DKT
  11. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

What did you "buy" from him if you don't mind me asking.

I don't think its so much a question of him being legit - more just the fact that he's a creepy egomaniac who wants to rename the state in his own honor.

His other quirks include his strong belief that that "face" on Mars is really a face and the government is covering it up... which I think tells you more of what you need to know about this guy
    Last edited: May 16, 2006
  12. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You know, I completely ABHORED him when I lived in RI. His voice drove me nuts, too, and his constant ego stroking made me want to vomit. Yes, sure, philanthropy is good, but naming everything after yourself?? I won his scholarship in high school, and rejected it and its awarding, stating that it went against my principles (and my high school didn't like that too much), but yeah, I think he's a self-serving ass.
  13. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

Damn! That's pretty good to turn down a scholarship (though I know he prints them out) - my wife got one for a small amount too and never cashed it - we still have it too - screwing up his checkbook balance!

I saw him at a graduation where he was the keynote speaker and he told some bizarre story about having a dream which involved Mother Theresa (this was after she died and it was a not so subtle way of him comparing himself to her)

Anyway he was rambling about something where she had said she wanted no images of her created and that she didn't want people worshiping her... so then he proceeds to explain how he bought a bunch of coins minted by some country in her honor, showing her image, and gave one to each of the graduates

it was just bizarre but people clapped wildly probably because of his self serving bribes

a few months ago I was invovled in a group discussion with young people and we were asking them about their heros and who they looked up to - one girl said Alan Shawn Feinstein - I was floored but that's exactly what he's hoping to achieve

If I ever win the lottery I'm going to give each school and non-profit a heafty check to take his name off the building and name it after REAL heroes that we can look up to

...not someone who simply chose to "buy" adoration and admiriation the way other rich people "buy" Lambroginis - that's nothing to be proud of
  14. dantanaka

dantanaka Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the replies

Hey JoePatSix,
    I bought " collectibles " from Feinstein. I have some sports ( baseball,
    basketball ), space exploration, international money/stamps. No, I didn't
    buy the " Face on Mars " stuff. These were the low end stuff.
    Anyone else bought these? See ya.
    Aloha, Dan T
  15. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

Apparently he also made big money in cheaply made minted coins and the like - probably not worth too much but kindof tough to prove that as a bonifide ripoff

But on the naming thing, the guy is a certifiable egomaniacal wacko - and in today's Projo confirms it

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20060524_fein24.178b3daf.html
  16. dantanaka

dantanaka Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks

Hey JoeSixPat,
    Sorry I spelled your name wrong. Thanks for the ProJo link. My mentors
    were right about money. Money is not good or bad, it's a medium of ex-
    change. But money will magnify a person's character. I do hope that he did
    help the hungery. I hate to say it,but it looks like he doesn't have too much
    character.
    Well, Aloha for now. Dan T
  17. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

Interestingly, I heard Alan Shawn himself on the radio this afternoon driving home on Dan Yorke... one guy did call him on the issue of his insistance on naming everything in the state after himself and his family, and made some really good points.

Alan Shawn himself justified it by quoting the Bible, saying that the Bible says one should never donate anonymously so as to encourage others to do good works.

This guy is clearly delusional.... isn't Pride one of the biggest sins? Apparently he hasn't looked into the Bible any further than finding what he wants to find.

It was suggested that if he really wanted to spur fundraising he'd offer to "name" buildings after randomly selected people who responded to his pledge to match donations - he rejected that out of hand.

The shocking thing was the number of people who called in outraged that anyone would question the depths of this guy's ego... it just seems like they will delude themselves just because he gave to a charity they like.

IMO its no different from the Mafia giving money to the Church and other charities to buy forgiveness - while there is money going to a good cause they are all making a mockery of charity, and in this case, Alan Shawn is simply trying to buy good will and fame to fuel his deep and depraved ego.
  18. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

How did he get his fortune?

What kind of direct mail did he roll out?

Somewhere I read a snippet about a newsletter.

What kind of newsletter was this?

I'm curious...