PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is AndyJohnson a true Patriot legend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khayos

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for starting this but based on another thread I just looked up (I just turned 30 and started rooting in the Grogan era) that there was a real Andy Johnson for the Pats in the 70s. Is the guy with that screen name here really him or just a tribute?

Again, sorry for looking to satisfy my own curiosity.

Just a tribute.

I'm not aware of any gen-u-ine regular-season pro players posting here openly.

The closest miss is Patfanken, who got cut late in training camp by the Broncos (I think for two straight seasons).

I am sure even if his real name in this forum WAS Andy Johnson, It does not mean he had to be the Patriots player, it could have been his real name.

There are many other Andy Johnsons in the world you know ;)

At one point in the 1980, at leat 50 guys named Bob Johnson got together for a weekend party.

Unless they brought their wives, I imagine nametags would have been pretty useless ...

[cue Blazing Saddles reference]

I have known a bunch of Steve Millers in my life..and none the famous one...
teh same with Anne Scott...92 artists from Noston..)

I'm so sorry for starting this but based on another thread I just looked up (I just turned 30 and started rooting in the Grogan era) that there was a real Andy Johnson for the Pats in the 70s. Is the guy with that screen name here really him or just a tribute?

Again, sorry for looking to satisfy my own curiosity.

The Andy Johnson that played for the Pats in the 70s was a good player but not a legend. He got the nickname "Handy Andy" as he was a RB that played some WR when they needed him and - since he was a starting QB at the University of Georgia - the Pats had him throw the occasional half back option pass. He had a few good years for the Pats before a knee injury shortened his career.

Andy Johnson fit the mold of the current Pats players. He was a good blocker for the FB Sam Bam Cunningham, good runner, not fast, followed the blocking well, caught passes out of the backfield. He was a cog in the machine, much like Kevin Faulk although I believe Kevin is more athletic, they are/were important to the success of their team.

Allow me to grovel. AndyJohnson, our venerable Patsfan.com contibutor and moderator, is a legend of magnanimous proportions. His insight and wit is Twainian and his judgement is beyond reproach.

The name, however, is a little banal. ;)

Of course I'm a true Patriot legend. I wasn't aware there was a question of that.

I'm not aware of any gen-u-ine regular-season pro players posting here openly.

The closest miss is Patfanken, who got cut late in training camp by the Broncos (I think for two straight seasons).

Do you mean to tell me Keegs is NOT Le Kevin Smith in disguise ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes