PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Adalius Thomas a System Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smg93

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
In this article by Jeffri Chadiha:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jeffri_chadiha/03/01/system.fas/index.html

he mentions that he believes Thomas' success has been due to rex ryan's scheme and he infers that the fact that he plays with pro bowlers all around him is what has made him successful to a large degree. What are your opinions on this?

He's obviously a very flexible player in terms of what position he can play. Why, could this be (according to Chadiha) a weakness? I would have thought it was a strength.

"Adalius Thomas, OLB, Baltimore: Despite Thomas' versatility, here's the one thing people need to realize about this seven-year veteran: He didn't make any kind of impact until Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan started using him as a jack-of-all-trades player over the last two seasons. If that doesn't say "system" player, I don't know what does. In fact, the odds of Thomas finding another coordinator who will be as creative in utilizing him as Ryan was are slim. What is guaranteed is that he won't find another defense that surrounds him with Pro Bowlers like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Chris McAlister and Terrell Suggs. So while Thomas may find a big payday, his next employer probably won't find the same player he was in Baltimore."

Last edited:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jeffri_chadiha/03/01/system.fas/index.html

he mentions that he believes Thomas' success has been due to rex ryan's scheme and he infers that the fact that he plays with pro bowlers all around him is what has made him successful to a large degree. What are your opinions on this?

He's obviously a very flexible player in terms of what position he can play. Why, could this be (according to Chadiha) a weakness? I would have thought it was a strength.

"Adalius Thomas, OLB, Baltimore: Despite Thomas' versatility, here's the one thing people need to realize about this seven-year veteran: He didn't make any kind of impact until Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan started using him as a jack-of-all-trades player over the last two seasons. If that doesn't say "system" player, I don't know what does. In fact, the odds of Thomas finding another coordinator who will be as creative in utilizing him as Ryan was are slim. What is guaranteed is that he won't find another defense that surrounds him with Pro Bowlers like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Chris McAlister and Terrell Suggs. So while Thomas may find a big payday, his next employer probably won't find the same player he was in Baltimore."

His numbers, while better in the last 2 seasons, weren't that bad at the start of his career.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187661

Hmmmm, what coach is known for being creative and versatile with his players on defense. Think, think.:confused:

------------------------------------------------

Mangini

Gunnails, I'd like to thank you for Mo Lewis, seeing as your a Jets fan.

The other coach would have been Saban (but then Adalius would have to enroll in 'Bama :D). Didn't he use Jason Taylor all over the place in that Miami game?

How bout we line him up behind Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren, any linebacker will tell you that he absolutely needs a solid D-line in front of him, or they are going to get blocked. Look at the way Ray Lewis cried during the last draft begging the Ravens to take a Nose Tackle (and they did) with their first pick. If you take a top notch tackler like Thomas and put him behind those 3, he is going to have a good year, hell they made Seau look good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes