PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is A Holdout By Brady Coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Graham will say he broke the story for ESPN ...

If Brady shows up nobody will remember Tim mentioned it ...

Wishful journalism at it's best.

No, they will credit Clayton for breaking it and make no mention of Tim on air or in their online stories.

This scenario never even entered my mind once... that's how impossible I thought it would be and still think so. However, if the Pats screw this up, it will take them decades to recover. Franchise and especially HF QBs do not grow on trees. It usually takes decades for a team to find one.

Over the last 50 years, how many teams have had 1 HF QB? What happened after that QB retired and how many have had 2? The only exception was SF and that was freak luck more than anything else. Every other team took decades, some teams still have yet to find one.

I'm gonna go out about an inch on a limb and predict hell will freeze over before Tommy holds out. What is wrong with you people...:bricks:

As for the Brady contract holdup, it is strictly CBA and cash flow related. Same as Manning. Aside from Washington, few teams have the revenue stream or net operating income to pay the kind of money those two will get in REAL FULLY guaranteed money up front, let alone while signing others and fielding a team. And the expiring CBA precludes FULLY guaranteeing salaries for these two in the alternative because their 2009 salaries were not guaranteed and neither team had the cap space left to accommodate reallocation, which otherwise would do the trick. Rock and a hard place. It is what it is, nothing sinister or personal.

I almost can't wait 'til ESPN and all the mediots turn their attention to some really compelling storyline like will Brett Favre play in 2010....

Maybe Tom's agent and the team should stop giving Clayton all the figures while they are negotiating.

I doubt he's in the room, so they must keep him up on how far apart they are.

In my opinion, Tom Brady will not hold out. He knows a deal will get done, he sees the bigger picture and I'm confident he'll report to training camp. I think TB is the kinda guy that doesn't want to miss one second of training camp, he's a leader and a competitor!!

Last edited:
"RANDY MOSS MIGHT NOT MAKE THE TEAM!" --pft Pre Season 2007

Last edited:
This only goes to show how if you repeat an UNFOUNDED rumor long enough and loud enough, it will soon start to be reported as fact somewhere, and THEN it takes a life of its own and we get a 7 page thread, which only ADDS to the rumor's credibility.

Quite frankly I'm disappointed with the fact that so many people who I thought were smarter than this would, give this any credit at all. I though we were better, more discerning fans than this.

I know at Jets insider, many are convinced that Tom Brady is gay and wouldn't have amounted to anything withouts BB's videos. You know, at one time I used to think they were delusional, but since its been posted many times on their board, then I guess it MUST be true. Brady is gay, over rated, and will hold out. Hey I read it on the internet. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This only goes to show how if you repeat an UNFOUNDED rumor long enough and loud enough, it will soon start to be reported as fact somewhere, and THEN it takes a life of its own and we get a 7 page thread, which only ADDS to the rumor's credibility.

Quite frankly I'm disappointed with the fact that so many people who I thought were smarter than this would, give this any credit at all. I though we were better, more discerning fans than this.

I know at Jets insider, many are convinced that Tom Brady is gay and wouldn't have amounted to anything withouts BB's videos. You know, at one time I used to think they were delusional, but since its been posted many time on the internet, then I guess it MUST be true. Brady is gay, over rated, and will hold out. Hey I read it on the internet. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that this is based upon an unfounded rumor.

I doubt that nine out of ten NEP fans would side with Kraft. I also think that even fans outside NE would understand.

I agree. Brady is one of the few Pats I expect would evoke anger at the team if he holds out. That scenario would be playing with fire. I still cannot believe the Pats would go that route in his case given his contract history, and frankly don't see any actual facts to the story other than what is already known (I cannot play the Clayton link, but his quotes sound like an impression, not inside information).

This Bradford deal just sounds ridiculous. The guy has ability, but I wouldn't bet on him surviving a year behind the Rams' line after his college injury history. To even mention him in the neighborhood of Brady and Manning is a testament to why these rookie deals need to be changed.

I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that this is based upon an unfounded rumor.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea it's not... It's basically mediots speculating based on each others speculation and none of the principles have given any indication there is a problem beyond those created by the expiring CBA, same as in Mannings situation and any number of other players in line for extensions...

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea it's not... It's basically mediots speculating based on each others speculation and none of the principles have given any indication there is a problem beyond those created by the expiring CBA, same as in Mannings situation and any number of other players in line for extensions...

From what's being posted about in this thread:

"They're nowhere close ," Clayton says, "and Tom has made it clear to management that he doesn't want to give any sacrifices. He wants top dollar, and he's earned top dollar.

"You're taking about the two clearest Hall of Famers of this era, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. And last we checked, Tom has three Super Bowl rings; Peyton Manning has one. Tom, I'm sure, will get less ultimately than Peyton Manning, but he doesn't want to take less than what Tom Brady should naturally be able receive."

Clayton declined to predict whether Brady would hold out, but said it's a "possibility."

Also, the "original" article by Silver was based upon a source/sources close to Brady. So, unless your claim is that both Silver and Clayton are just making things up, there's more than just speculation to the idea that things aren't all moonlight and canoes here.

Last edited:
Tom Brady earn over $10 million with endorsements. He has three in Europe also.

I know at Jets insider, many are convinced that Tom Brady is gay and wouldn't have amounted to anything withouts BB's videos. You know, at one time I used to think they were delusional, but since its been posted many times on their board, then I guess it MUST be true. Brady is gay, over rated, and will hold out. Hey I read it on the internet. :rolleyes:

Please, Ken :rolleyes:

Things aren't picture perfect in Foxboro these days.

Although he should, I'd be shocked if he holds out because he just doesn't seem like that kind of player. However, I'm 99.9% positive he believes he should be the highest paid player in the NFL. If the Pats are ******ed and wait until he's a free agent to try to sign him, I don't think he will give them the home town discount he once did when he was younger (unless they win the super bowl). The only way I see Brady leaving is if Moss is let go, Welker isn't the same, no young WR's emerge, the defense never develops and the team implodes like it did last season.

Really?
Coming off major knee surgery, and is now as immobile as a statue back there. Statistically good in '09, but made some uncharacteristically horrible decisions at times, which contributed to us losing some games. He should be much better this year on both those fronts, but I don't see him believing he should be the Alpha Dog of the league given the past two seasons.

You have to look at it realistically. Pats are going to be focusing on the future instead of what Brady has done in the past.

Even if Brady's agent is feeding Clayton one sided stuff, that's just agent spin anyway.

I'd be shocked if The team was giving ESPN accurate offer, counter offer info.

"Oh, they're miles apart!! They're disrespecting the franchise!!"

C'mon, agents will say that before they even talk, it's SOP.

You can tell how worried the Pats are by all the QBs they have in camp.:rolleyes:

Really?
Coming off major knee surgery, and is now as immobile as a statue back there. Statistically good in '09, but made some uncharacteristically horrible decisions at times, which contributed to us losing some games. He should be much better this year on both those fronts, but I don't see him believing he should be the Alpha Dog of the league given the past two seasons.

You have to look at it realistically. Pats are going to be focusing on the future instead of what Brady has done in the past.
Even with his "un-Brady like season" I still think he's the best QB in the game. I agree he made some really dumb passes, but some can make the argument (including myself) that the offense was predictable and Brady didn't have a true #3 WR/TE. In addition, the Pats throw too much and have zero patience running the football. But we'll find out this season if '09 was a fluke or that Brady is losing it.

Last edited:
This scenario never even entered my mind once... that's how impossible I thought it would be and still think so. However, if the Pats screw this up, it will take them decades to recover. Franchise and especially HF QBs do not grow on trees. It usually takes decades for a team to find one.

Over the last 50 years, how many teams have had 1 HF QB? What happened after that QB retired and how many have had 2? The only exception was SF and that was freak luck more than anything else. Every other team took decades, some teams still have yet to find one.

I try to precede everything I post on this subject with something like, "none of us know what's going on and we're all just guessing or surmising."

That said, I'd imagine that one of TB's unspoken negotiating points would be the damage it would to the Krafts and their franchise if they were perceived as not doing all they could reasonably do to keep Brady.

Tom Brady earn over $10 million with endorsements. He has three in Europe also.

I'd appreciate your source on that. Everything I've read puts his endorsement money in the $4-5million range. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back