PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is A Holdout By Brady Coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ian's Daily Blog - ESPNBoston.com’s Tim Graham reported on Monday that there may be trouble on the horizon with just a little over a week to go until training camp begins, and it could involve quarterback Tom Brady holding out when the team comes together at Gillette Stadium next week.

I deff don't see Brady holding out, it will get done. The whole season is in the pooper if he does. They said they were worried about vinces empty answer. He's just towing the company line and having respect for Tom not to contribute the addition of airing out Tom's business.

I deff don't see Brady holding out, it will get done. The whole season is in the pooper if he does. They said they were worried about vinces empty answer. He's just towing the company line and having respect for Tom not to contribute the addition of airing out Tom's business.

Or he really doesn't have a good feeling about it. Regardless, the mere threat of a holdout by Brady should open the wallet IMMEDIATELY.

The only thing we can know is that we don't know what's really going on, Clayton et al aside.

That said, I know I'll be in a minority here for saying that I wouldn't blame Brady for holding out. Why risk injury at Training Camp if he isn't convinced that things are moving along towards getting a deal with Guarantees done? I believe that he has earned the right to go into the 2010 Season with a deal.

See this is where the media has really lost control of its self.

I heard the VInce interview last week and to infer anything out of that about Brady would be ridiculous.

His comments totally came off as someone who just went thru it himself and that he by no way wanted to make any comment on the situation good or bad it just was not his place to say.

Hypathetical: Lets assume Vince knows for a fact Brady is gonna show up why would vince throw Tom under the bus in case Tom was planning on threating a holdout even if he had no plans to follow thru.

I hardly read Vince's words as "the company line." But, since neither of us know what's going on, you're interpretation is as good as mine.

As for the whole season being in the crapper if Tommy holds out for some or all of Training Camp to get a deal done? Nah. That might have been true five years ago, but not now. Tommy, like Favre, can show up any time he wants and be ready to play.

Last edited:
Or he really doesn't have a good feeling about it. Regardless, the mere threat of a holdout by Brady should open the wallet IMMEDIATELY.

It's always fun to speculate when we have absolutely no idea of what is really going on since any of us could be right, but this kind of story would be consistent with someone in Brady's camp stirring the pot a bit. It's also consistent with people talking out their asses. So, who knows?

If Brady wants to hold out why the hell did he show up to OTAs a few weeks ago?

Graham is the first one I've read in terms of reporters that have any credibility that I'd actually believe to report it, so that alone was enough to make me wonder if it's actually a real possibility. Vince's comments last week were pretty vague, but listening to the interview again from their archives this morning - I just wish he had come out and made it seem like less of a possibility.

Obviously I'm with the majority who believe they'll find a way to get a deal done to keep him here. But after Graham's article I'm starting to wonder if it's really possible that he'll hold out. Missing practice - especially with a lot of the young guys they have coming in - definitely wouldn't be a good thing.

Last edited:
What kind of contract is possible, though? Doesn't the 30% rule or whatever make his contract in pain to try to do right now?

If Brady wants to hold out why the hell did he show up to OTAs a few weeks ago?

That's a little different. Being there shows good faith and also gave them an extra month to work on his contract. Only Brady and his agent know how things have gone from there up to this point - although from what's being reported it apparently hasn't gone very well. I laughed at the first column last week that Clayton wrote when it was first suggested and rolled my eyes. But the fact that Graham is reporting that he may actually holdout has me starting to wonder.

Last edited:
We're so FUBAR if Brady isn't here this year. I really hope this works its self out.

Graham is the first one I've read in terms of reporters that have any credibility that I'd actually believe to report it, so that alone was enough to make me wonder if it's actually a real possibility. Vince's comments last week were pretty vague, but listening to the interview again from their archives this morning - I just wish he had come out and made it seem like less of a possibility.

Obviously I'm with the majority who believe they'll find a way to get a deal done to keep him here. But after Graham's article I'm starting to wonder if it's really possible that he'll hold out. Missing practice - especially with a lot of the young guys they have coming in - definitely wouldn't be a good thing.

If this is true (big "if"), then something has gone badly off track. But, it's beyond belief to me that the Pats would have allowed this to spin out of control. For now, I'm taking a deep breath. But Wilfork's remarks are subject to a troubling interpretation (as well, of course, as to a benign one) and I am surprised they didn't get more play last week.

If this is true (big "if"), then something has gone badly off track. But, it's beyond belief to me that the Pats would have allowed this to spin out of control. For now, I'm taking a deep breath. But Wilfork's remarks are subject to a troubling interpretation (as well, of course, as to a benign one) and I am surprised they didn't get more play last week.

I don't think Brady will hold out, because I think he's probably willing to pin his deal to Manning's, but why would you think it's beyond belief for the Patriots to screw up/around when it comes to contracts with its players?

Media with nothing else to report so decide to make up something Anti-Patriot? when does that ever happen? there's about 0% chance Brady holds out.

Can anyone tell me why this article isn't written up as Brady and Manning Contracts looming over there clubs?

seems to me they are both in the same exact seat yet only one of them continues to have these stories written about them. No sources, no quotes, nothing but speculation and hearsay.

Doesn't mean in the end Tom can't holdout but until there is some real evidence of his plans then I don't see why this is being speculated for Tom and not Peyton or at all.

Although he should, I'd be shocked if he holds out because he just doesn't seem like that kind of player. However, I'm 99.9% positive he believes he should be the highest paid player in the NFL. If the Pats are ******ed and wait until he's a free agent to try to sign him, I don't think he will give them the home town discount he once did when he was younger (unless they win the super bowl). The only way I see Brady leaving is if Moss is let go, Welker isn't the same, no young WR's emerge, the defense never develops and the team implodes like it did last season.

I don't think Brady will hold out, because I think he's probably willing to pin his deal to Manning's, but why would you think it's beyond belief for the Patriots to screw up/around when it comes to contracts with its players?

With another of its players? Sure. But, with Brady? Hard to imagine but I take your point. On the Holdout, well, we won't have to wait very long to find out.

If the mere threat of a holdout will open the team's wallet immediately, then it is certainly in Brady's interest to hold out for awhile and not risk injury,

As long as Brady is with the team to start the season, the offense (and the quarterback position) will be in much better than last year when the team was top 5 offense.

Personally, I don't think the team would be worse off if Brady didn't risk injury for a month or so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey