PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is a big possession retriever the best fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way should we pick one up, until we find out what team Michael Vick ends up on and whether they are on our schedule. Could lead to an embarrasing incident otherwise.

180px-Air_Bud_Catching_Ball.jpg

My 12 year-old Golden Retriever had ACL surgery two years ago, she was catching footballs approx 4 months after surgery.

Seeing that Golden Retrievers can run approx 30mph, according to my math she can a 40 it in about 3.3 seconds..

Catching Ability: High

Salary Demands: Lamb & Rice and her squirrel.

Team Play: Never shares the ball. Very questionable

Organizational Loyalty: Highest Level

Sign the beech!

Last edited:
24704063.png

My boy is ready to be signed, he's been waiting for this day!

how was Jabar Gaffney, that guy he never had more then 38 rec for the pats he never had 500 yerds and he's best year for TD's was 5

IMO what the pats need is a anquan boldin, type who can go over the middle deep and take the big hit a guy like that would free up moss,

Sorry dude, the team that blew us out at home in the playoffs just got him.

Great dog pics in this thread!

I'm a German Shepard fan. Labs tend to be almost too possessive, especially when it comes to milk bones

The Pats have one of the best speed receivers in the history of the game, albeit aging.

They also have one of the best pure slot receivers in the history of the game, albeit injured.

The youngsters who seem like they have the best chance to turn into WR stars also fit into the "speed" or "slot" buckets. But none of those youngsters is proven as a backup beyond the JAG level. (Even Edelman as of now, although we hope he'll make big offseason strides and zoom beyond that stage.)

What the Pats don't have at a quality better than Aiken is a guy who can sort of act as a speed receiver, sort of act as a slot receiver, and sort of act as a big end-zone target. Gaffney was that guy, and Watson should have been, but -- well, it isn't what it isn't.

So the idea of bringing in a classic versatile big #2 WR makes all the sense in the world to me. But note that he's really the #3 whenever Moss and Welker are both healthy, so going for a bargain is IMO an acceptable gamble ...

I think you just answered your own question, in the affirmative..

I think that the Patriots should investigate this thus far untapped talent pool immediately. It is clear that dogs would run a much faster 40 time than the most top level of human athletes. Therefore it would be very difficult for cornerbacks to stick to our canine receivers whether they play in man coverage or zone. Press coverage might be a different matter, but I digress.

The other huge positive benefit to drafting canines as wide receivers is the salary cap. Initially canine players would have very low salary demands (milk biscuits, chew toys, lots of bacon, basic living expenses), and it will probably take a while before sports agencies catch on to this hot new trend and develop the expertise needed in canine contracts to push up the monetary demands. So for at least a few years you could have top flight canine athletes signed to long term contracts for MUCH LOWER salary considerations than human athletes.

And finally there is the ultimate surprise factor of seeing canines line up on offense for the first time. The Wildcat offense was VERY successful in its first year because teams just had no idea how to defend it. The Dog Pack offense could have similar success, at least in its first two years or so because most defenses would be befuddled on how they were supposed to defend against our canine receivers. NFL Coaches just would not have enough film on dog vs human matchups to figure out effective game plans to stop our canine aerial attack.

In fact I believe that the Patriots record-breaking 2007 offensive numbers could easily be surpassed with a top flight receiving corps composed of athletic freak canine receivers. I conclude with this thought, canine retrievers in 2010 = 19-0. The 4th Lombardi trophy will easily be within our grasp if the Pats Front Office is just willing to think outside the box. Who is with me? I think that Man's Best Friend certainly is!

Last edited:
24704063.png

My boy is ready to be signed, he's been waiting for this day!
What's his 40 time? And what about his work ethic? The last thing we need is another dog-faker in this retrieving corps.

My 12 year-old Golden Retriever had ACL surgery two years ago, she was catching footballs approx 4 months after surgery.

TPLO or TTA or Lateral Suture Technique? IMO, the TPLO is the most solid and longest lasting.

Seeing that Golden Retrievers can run approx 30mph, according to my math she can a 40 it in about 3.3 seconds..Plus she is a long-strider with quick-twitch!

Catching Ability: High and low

Salary Demands: Lamb & Rice and her squirrel. Jet propelled from all that lamb-induced methane gas; no wonder she is so fast.

Team Play: Never shares the ball. Very questionable But her big brown eyes are so "fetching"

Organizational Loyalty: Highest Level She knows where to find each and every bone she's buried over the years

Sign the beech!
Sign the beast, the ***** and the beech

I've given this a lot of thought and since I am a veterinarian I think I have come up with the perfect retriever for the Pats to get.

The Chesapeake Bay Retriever

#
General Description of the Chesapeake Bay Retriever

The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is a hardy and resilient beast designed to retrieve footballs in cold weather, sometimes even breaking ice to do so, and the features of the beast reflect this purpose. The eyes are large and clear, amber in color, and convey an expression of intelligence. The neck, shoulders, back and chest are powerful and well muscled. The hindquarters are exceptionally strong, making this beast a remarkable runner in mud, snow or ice; webbed feet also help to propel this beast through water.

Chesapeake Bay Retriever Temperament-a little nasty

The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is the toughest and most independent of the retrieving breeds. Unlike the always-sociable Labrador Retriever, the Chesapeake is generally aggressive around strangers and is protective of its team. Despite its somewhat distant character around strangers , the Chessie is exceptionally obedient toward its coach and teammates. For an owner looking for the playful qualities inherent in the retrieving breeds as well as a team protector, the Chesapeake Bay Retriever is a fantastic choice. While the beast is happiest when it is able to play and catch outdoors, it is also happy to play in domes.

Seems to be a perfect fit for the Pats!
:D

Last edited:
I've given this a lot of thought and since I am a veterinarian I think I have come up with the perfect retriever for the Pats to get.

The Chesapeake Bay Retriever

#
General Description of the Chesapeake Bay Retriever

The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is a hardy and resilient beast designed to retrieve footballs in cold weather, sometimes even breaking ice to do so, and the features of the beast reflect this purpose. The eyes are large and clear, amber in color, and convey an expression of intelligence. The neck, shoulders, back and chest are powerful and well muscled. The hindquarters are exceptionally strong, making this beast a remarkable runner in mud, snow or ice; webbed feet also help to propel this beast through water.

Chesapeake Bay Retriever Temperament-a little nasty

The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is the toughest and most independent of the retrieving breeds. Unlike the always-sociable Labrador Retriever, the Chesapeake is generally aggressive around strangers and is protective of its team. Despite its somewhat distant character around strangers , the Chessie is exceptionally obedient toward its coach and teammates. For an owner looking for the playful qualities inherent in the retrieving breeds as well as a team protector, the Chesapeake Bay Retriever is a fantastic choice. While the beast is happiest when it is able to play and catch outdoors, it is also happy to play in domes.

Seems to be a perfect fit for the Pats!
:D

Looks like BB already filled the roster spot. Apparently retreivers don't have the straight-line speed and game-breaking type of capability as other dogs. :p

Attachments

• M22502129.img__1268060494_5155.jpg
    M22502129.img__1268060494_5155.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
This thread really went to the dogs quickly.. :cool:

I have two retrievers, can't catch but like to go fishing with me.

This thread is awesome. Thanks for putting a smile on my face

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye