PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is a big possession retriever the best fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The Pats have one of the best speed receivers in the history of the game, albeit aging.

They also have one of the best pure slot receivers in the history of the game, albeit injured.

The youngsters who seem like they have the best chance to turn into WR stars also fit into the "speed" or "slot" buckets. But none of those youngsters is proven as a backup beyond the JAG level. (Even Edelman as of now, although we hope he'll make big offseason strides and zoom beyond that stage.)

What the Pats don't have at a quality better than Aiken is a guy who can sort of act as a speed receiver, sort of act as a slot receiver, and sort of act as a big end-zone target. Gaffney was that guy, and Watson should have been, but -- well, it isn't what it isn't.

So the idea of bringing in a classic versatile big #2 WR makes all the sense in the world to me. But note that he's really the #3 whenever Moss and Welker are both healthy, so going for a bargain is IMO an acceptable gamble ...

i like labradore retrievers personally

Last edited:
i like labradore retrievers personally

I've had yellow, black and now chocolate labs, but if I'm honest, I think a golden retriever would be the best fit for the Pats.

I've had yellow, black and now chocolate labs, but if I'm honest, I think a golden retriever would be the best fit for the Pats.
But you always have to take them Top 15 to get them.

Last edited:
There is no way I'm editing this thread title.

how was Jabar Gaffney, that guy he never had more then 38 rec for the pats he never had 500 yerds and he's best year for TD's was 5

IMO what the pats need is a anquan boldin, type who can go over the middle deep and take the big hit a guy like that would free up moss,

The Pats have one of the best speed receivers in the history of the game, albeit aging.

They also have one of the best pure slot receivers in the history of the game, albeit injured.

The youngsters who seem like they have the best chance to turn into WR stars also fit into the "speed" or "slot" buckets. But none of those youngsters is proven as a backup beyond the JAG level. (Even Edelman as of now, although we hope he'll make big offseason strides and zoom beyond that stage.)

What the Pats don't have at a quality better than Aiken is a guy who can sort of act as a speed receiver, sort of act as a slot receiver, and sort of act as a big end-zone target. Gaffney was that guy, and Watson should have been, but -- well, it isn't what it isn't.

So the idea of bringing in a classic versatile big #2 WR makes all the sense in the world to me. But note that he's really the #3 whenever Moss and Welker are both healthy, so going for a bargain is IMO an acceptable gamble ...

I agree. On 98.5 a few weeks ago, Felger said one day he got a look at the Pats' scouting manual. For the WRs section, Charlie Weis had written "Find me a wide receiver who can catch the ball. Don't give me some *****."

Brady is at his best when he has a sturdy wide receiver who can be a dependable target. See Troy, Branch, Givens, Gaffney, Welker.

Maybe we'll sign Golden Tate and nickname him in honour of this thread.

Maybe this will inspire another Air Bud movie...

how was Jabar Gaffney, that guy he never had more then 38 rec for the pats he never had 500 yerds and he's best year for TD's was 5

IMO what the pats need is a anquan boldin, type who can go over the middle deep and take the big hit a guy like that would free up moss,

Gaffney was good enough.

As for his numbers -- he wasn't even #3 target for a full season, let alone #2.

Boldin would be nice to have, but they don't NEED that quality when they also have Welker.

28935-large.jpg

Those kids never could defend that zany dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes