PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is 2010 the year the Pats use a #1 on a OLB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan-1982

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
the patriots have not drafted a OLB in the first or 2th round of the draft since they used the 4th over all pick in the draft to pick Willie McGinest,

with the pass rush being as bad as it is will this be the year we see a OLB taken in the first round for the first time in 15 years ?

or is the D line with out seymour. and wilfork and green being FA next a biger hole now then OLB ?

Re: is 2010 the year the pats use a #1 on a OLB ?

I think it's a decent question, and if I had to guess I'd say the probability for one or the other is good. (either front 3, or LB--definately a front 7)

Can never try and predict what Belichick is going to do though, too many variables etc. He tends to be quite picky about these positions at such high value. I guess it'll just depend on whatever he thinks is best, but I'd have to think the need is getting up there.

Guess we'll have to see who is available, maybe we'll use the 2011 pick-but I seriously doubt it, the value will be tremendous for that Oakland #1. It should be a top 10 pick.

Last edited:

I think it depends who's out there. Remember, we could also use an impact DE now.

When you think about it, either one could improve the rush as we do have some decent rushers.

Uncle Al's pick is 2011, I believe so we would be looking at a bottom 1st pick ( I hope) which is unlikely to land a monster at either position. Of course, we're loaded for bear with trade material (picks) if necessary.

I'd love for some college fans/draftniks to weigh in on any monster OLB or 3-4 DEs they think worthy, or better yet, bottom forst round bargains.

My guess Tight End, lay on Mcduff

Would be hard to pass up Gresham if he's still on the board when we pick. That said, I'm hoping for olb.

I've been hearing a lot about the star DE from TCU. I think his name is Jerry Hughes. He and Kindle have been praised as the next big tweener prospects. While I've seen Kindle play, I haven't seen Hughes. From what I have seen of Kindle, I was very unimpressed. The man vanishes at times for long stetches. Due to his physical talent and combine numbers, he is going to go high in the first round. I don't think his off the field troubles (such as crashing a car while texting on his cell phone [sounds like a cover for a dui]) or lack or consistency justify such an investment.

If anyone has any solid info on Hughes, it would be a huge help. No pun intended.

I've been hearing a lot about the star DE from TCU. I think his name is Jerry Hughes. He and Kindle have been praised as the next big tweener prospects. While I've seen Kindle play, I haven't seen Hughes. From what I have seen of Kindle, I was very unimpressed. The man vanishes at times for long stetches. Due to his physical talent and combine numbers, he is going to go high in the first round. I don't think his off the field troubles (such as crashing a car while texting on his cell phone [sounds like a cover for a dui]) or lack or consistency justify such an investment.

If anyone has any solid info on Hughes, it would be a huge help. No pun intended.

i dont know much about jerry hughes, he's 6.3 257lbs i looked him up on youtube and the few video i seen of him he was a good speed pass rusher standing up and with he's hand on the ground and he set the edge pretty good vs the run

i think he may go high if he has a good combine or pro day

It took BB 9 years to draft a middle linebacker in the first round.

Based on that, the earliest we will draft another linebacker (possibly

an outside linebacker) is 2017.

I really depends on what happens in FA, and if they continue to use a 4-3 next year. There's not too many good OLBs out this year so I'd rather find one in FA who can start right away. There are a lot of good DL which is another Pats need if wilfork and green disappear.

I guess everyone has given up on Shawn Crable.

The possible 3-4 OLB prospects have been discussed in detail on the draft board. I count 21 potential prospects who grade out between the 1st and 5th rounds. It's not clear to me that any one of them is a clear 1st round pick for the Pats, and I think that there will be as good talent available in the 2nd round as in the 1st.

It's interesting that we took Chris Slade and Willie McGinest back to back as 1st round OLBs in the 1993 and 1994 draft, and haven't been back since. We clearly need to re-develop a pipeline at the position.

Of the prospects discussed in posts earlier in this thread, I personally have my doubts about both Sergio Kindle and Jerry Hughes being great fits. I'm not sure either can set the edge and take on blockers the way BB demands. I'm personally much more interested in guys like Greg Romeus of Pitt, Jeremy Beal of Oklahoma, and especiallly Austen Lane of Murray St., all of whom should be 2nd/3rd round picks. Greg Hardy might have been worth a 1st at one point, but his injury history and inconsistency are an issue.

Ricky Sapp of Clemson is a good choice to improve the non existent pass rush.

Every time I read a thread like this, am reminded that something like 23 of our 53 are UDFA's...

With that being said, how is that working out for you???

I think draft procrastination for the Pats is kindof like spitting in the wind....

Ricky Sapp of Clemson is a good choice to improve the non existent pass rush.

He's Shawn Crable II as far as I'm concerned, or Manny Lawson - tall and lanky with nice speed, but lacking the strength to set the edge and play the run.

The 5 guys who stand out to be as being strong enough to play on the line in a 4-3 or 4-2-5 and agile enough to play in space in a 3-4 or 3-3-5 are Greg Hardy, Greg Romeus, Jeremy Beal, Austen Lane, and Brandon Graham. Carlos Dunlap and Jason Pierre-Paul are physical freaks who may also qualify, but both will likely go 1st round before we pick based on their upside, and both have issues as far as I am concerned. Jerry Hughes is intriguing, but I'm not sure about his ability to set the edge or play in space.

I just don't see guys like Ricky Sapp or Von Miller being good fits for us. Their mainly speed rushers, and BB demands that his OLBs do a lot more things. JMHO.

He's Shawn Crable II as far as I'm concerned, or Manny Lawson - tall and lanky with nice speed, but lacking the strength to set the edge and play the run.

The 5 guys who stand out to be as being strong enough to play on the line in a 4-3 or 4-2-5 and agile enough to play in space in a 3-4 or 3-3-5 are Greg Hardy, Greg Romeus, Jeremy Beal, Austen Lane, and Brandon Graham. Carlos Dunlap and Jason Pierre-Paul are physical freaks who may also qualify, but both will likely go 1st round before we pick based on their upside, and both have issues as far as I am concerned. Jerry Hughes is intriguing, but I'm not sure about his ability to set the edge or play in space.

I just don't see guys like Ricky Sapp or Von Miller being good fits for us. Their mainly speed rushers, and BB demands that his OLBs do a lot more things. JMHO.

Do you know if Ricky Sapp is related to Warren Sapp?

Regardless,I would love me to see a guy anywhere near the talent of a Warren Sapp on this team.

I haven't seen much of Ricky Sapp play, but the 49ers are my favorite NFC team so I've seen Lawson play this year and I like him a lot. He lines up with his hand down a lot for SF but I think he'd be better at OLB in our 3-4. He's got good speed and has played well against the run from what I've seen. He does lack elite power and doesn't have great pass rushing moves, but he's definitely taken steps forward. I think it's helped that he's playing for Singletary and I think he's going to be a force in years to come. He's only 25 years old. I was pretty high on him when he was coming out, I was hoping the Pats would be interested in him.

As for the list of prospects, I like Romeus, Dunlap, Hardy, and Pierre Paul. I've only seen Sapp play once but if he's comparable to Lawson, I'd definitely be interested because I like Lawson a lot as a player. I don't think Graham is going to be able to play OLB for us I just don't see him having the hips to be out in space and make plays.

If I am not mistaken, don't the PATS have three picks in the 2nd round? I would like to see BB stay where he is and load up on talent..period. No backtracking. We have too many holes and 4 picks in the first two rounds could go a long way to filling them...OLB, ILB, CB, OL, DL, TE, RB, and maybe even a QB.

Nothing really to give up on....we never seen him play! I really do hope kid gets chance to showcase his talent(or lack there of) so we can finally make judgement on him.....well BB I mean...:D

I'm not too hot about Greg Hardy because of his injuries and inconsistencies. All of those things are forgotten when I see Greg Romeus. The guy is a force.

I haven't seen Jeremy Beal, or Austen Lane. Surprisingly, I did see Brandon Graham play against Michigan, but I was more concentrating on Clausen and Tate. I can't make an assessment on him but I've heard great things.

Dunlap is a no no. I've seen this guy play and have had to check to make sure that he was still in the game. That's way too inconsistent. Something about that kind of effort reminds me of Vernon Gholston. I'm not saying that the players are alike, but Gholston made me wary of workout warriors with poor motors.

Also, that guy's DUI was crazy. He fell asleep in his car, with the engine running, under a red light. That's incredibly dangerous and stupid. He may have cost his team a shot at a national title.

I haven't seen Jason Pierre-Paul, but I'll take your word on him.

Jerry Hughes is a guy that I definitely have to see play. I've heard guys on this board talking about the guy and I just have to see for myself. Let's hope he lives up to the hype in his bowl game.

At the end of the day, let's hope Bill chooses someone good on this list. We desperately need help.

Lets be honest here. There are maybe 170 professional OLBs either on active NFL rosters, IR, practice squads or training camp fodder that got cut but are playing in Canada and have the skills to get another camp invite next year.

Out of 170, I would say Crable ranks around 155. If you want to take the guys that are fit to play in this BB defense, then use whatever numbers you want but crable is in the 10th percentile which is the underlying point.

Did you watch the AFCCG in 07 or the SB in 08 or the Colts game in 09 or any of the 3 super bowls this team actually held on to? This is a concerning trend. Not 1-off events.

I would be totally happy if this team drafted all defense for the next 2 years. All +/- 15 picks. And if 3 of them were OLBs and 1 panned out as a starter in 2 or 3 years, this team would be tremendously better off trying to win games in a dome in January.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey